2/16 fry

Tamara

only 2/16 fry have survived :'(
but then again the two also survived the filter, the heat waveX4 we've had so many heatwaves almost the whole summer has been one...and they also survived velvet...so I guess it's not bad...

Isabella

What kind of fry do you have? How old are they? What kind of filter in their tank? What tank size? How many and how large water changes are you performing in the fry tank?

Tamara

...by the way I found one more...he was well just laying on a rock panting...I think I kept chasing it, but now it's fine
type: dalmation mollies
filter: tetra whisper 10..I think
size: 10 gallon
water changes: before the 6th I used to do daily water changes about anywhere between 30-60%, but then I did something to my wrist and can't use it for a month, so i've been trying to do them everyother day and about 20-50% but I lost the 13 before I hurt my wrist so it couldn't have been that...

Isabella

I also raised my angelfish fry (initially) in a 10 gallon tank, and also with a Whisper Tetra 10 power filter. Only, such a filter is too strong for any tiny fry, so what I did was I wrapped the filter intake tube with a piece of stocking and decreased the water flow to very low. Water aeration was strong though. Maybe your fry died because they were sucked into the filter? If you did 30-60% daily water changes, perhaps that was enough (don't know what dalmatian molly fry need). I presume your tank was all cycled and ammonia and nitrite were at 0, and that nitrate was at 0 as well (when nitrate is present even in small amounts in a fry tank, they may die from it). I understand your wrist is hurt, but tiny fry really do need daily water changes for many weeks (and perhaps months - probably depending on the species?) in order to survive and be healthy. But if your wrist hurts that much and if it is bruised/scratched, maybe you shouldn't risk hurting it further. But like I said, fry need a lot of care.

Best filters for fry tanks are sponge filters.

Tamara

haha..if my wrist was bruised or scratched i'd still do it, I pulled 3 muscles, tore 3 tendons and have a "hair line fracture".
yes...I know that 4 of them were sucked into the filter...I fixed that by putting a piece of..screen type stuff over the sucky-in part..it works.

Isabella

OK then, let us hope that the remaining fish survive and do well. Perhaps you could ask someone to help you with the water changes until your hand gets better. And let us also hope your hands gets well real soon (sounds like a serious injury - sorry to hear about that).

lokky.funky

My 15 gallon cement tank holds about 60 fries (all mollies) and they eat and grow like crazy.

The tank has no filtration at all.. The water gets absorbed by the walls of the tank and I refilll it very frequently..

I also add some sea salt (without iodine) to the water before adding it to the tank..

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom