1x2's Enough To Support A 20 Gallon Long?

1. dapps06

dapps06 Valued Member Member

I'm going to buy a 20 long and was considering buying a stand for it, but I have a TV stand that is perfect size to support this tank, but the legs are 1x2's. Is that enough to support the weight of this tank?

2. E

Elliriyanna Valued Member Member

Can you reinforce it?

3. OP
    OP
    dapps06

Maybe in a few spots. I'm thinking of just going to Home Depot and buying 2x4's for the legs. It would be cheap and, and overkill, but I wouldn't have to worry I guess.

4. OP
    OP
    dapps06

So I ended up buying this at Walmart tonight, it was only around 40 bucks with tax. It's got thick MDF supports, top, and bottom, all around 2-3 inches. It feels very sturdy so I assume I should be okay. I'm going to put a 3/4" wood shelf on top of it, to protect the top MDF piece from getting wet. The shelf is from the inside of a TV stand that I'm not using, it's solid wood. The size of this organizer matches up pretty well with what I needed, just hoping the MDF isn't going to be a problem.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-H...be-Storage-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/29741114

5. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

To answer your original question the 1x2s would not have been strong more sturdy enough for a 20gal.

The stand you bought should be strong enough (have one in my kids bedroom). Like you said, keep it dry and it should hold up well. I’d watch the side to side movement too.