1st Water Change

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MsRiss, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MsRiss

MsRissNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    This will be my first water change after 15 days. Do I change the filters to or just leave them?
    I have an Aqueon led 75 filter... 7 albino Cory's and 5 female Bettas... Feeding pellets once daily... Water change probably will be 50 % but only bc my water is getting cloudy... poor Cory's and Bettas my ammonia is 2.0 nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 3-5... Hoping my cycle is almost there... The only reason I even have fish in there is bc if my husband he refused to wait. If I do clean the tank and do this water change. Should I add more fritz Zyme 7( My beneficial bacteria )... So confused right now?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    You can clean the filters in the old tank water you remove. It's good to do that regularly so they don't get clogged and keep working well. You want to keep filter media as long as you can, as long as it's working, as it's where lots of the beneficial bacteria live. Toss the media and you might lose your cycle.

The exception to this is if there's carbon in the filter. That you'd want to replace every 3-4 weeks or so. If it's embedded in a cartridge you can try cutting it out to keep using the cartridge without it.

3. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Are you doing a fish in cycle?

4. CFPig

CFPigNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    Do not change the filter when cycling your tank, most beneficial bacteria live in the filter. If you remove the filter you remove the bacteria and have to start all over again.

I would be interested in hearing about the state of your tank, did you just start cycling 15 days ago? Do you have fish? How big is your tank? How much are you feeding? How big of a water change are you performing?

5. OP
    OP
    MsRiss

MsRissNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    See that's what I hate about my filter. It's built in. Now all my hard work may be sent down the drain. I really don't want to start my cycle over. I just started see nitrites 2 days ago

6. JenC

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Are there fish? If not, you probably don't need a water change and I doubt the filter's clogged if you just started. Can you tell us a bit about your tank?

There are ways to preserve bacteria when switching cartridges; it just takes a little extra care. Even better, many cartridge-style filters can be optimized to eliminate the need for cartridges, which removes the media change/bacteria problem and can really save money over time. What brand/model filter is it? Perhaps people will have some tips. :)

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I wouldn't worry about it right now unless the water is not flowing through the filter material as well as it should be. Are you using the filter cartridges? If so when it is pretty well worn out and it starts restricting the flow of water just cut the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the frame and the built in carbon. Put that piece of fiber in with a new cartridge. It will seed the new cartridge. Keep it in there for up to a month and then you can toss that piece of fiber.

By doing it this way you shouldn't have any glitches in your cycle.

8. OP
    OP
    MsRiss

MsRissNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    55 gallon tank... Led Aqueon 75 filter... 7 albino Cory's and 5 female Bettas... Feeding pellets once daily... Water change probably half but only bc my water is getting cloudy... poor Cory's and Bettas my ammonia is 2.0 nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 3-5... Hoping my cycle is almost there... The only reason I even have fish in there is bc if my husband he refused to wait. If I do clean the tank and do this water change. Should I add more Fritz Zyme 7( My beneficial bacteria )... So confused right now?

Yes unfortunately. Courtesy of my husband 7 Cory's and 5 bettas

Aqueon led 75 filter... 7 albino Cory's and 5 female Bettas... Feeding pellets once daily... Water change probably half but only bc my water is getting cloudy... poor Cory's and Bettas my ammonia is 2.0 nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 3-5... Hoping my cycle is almost there... The only reason I even have fish in there is bc if my husband he refused to wait. If I do clean the tank and do this water change. Should I add more fritz Zyme 7( My beneficial bacteria )... So confused right now?

Yes unfortunately,Aqueon led 75 filter... 7 albino Cory's and 5 female Bettas... Feeding pellets once daily... Water change probably half but only bc my water is getting cloudy... poor Cory's and Bettas my ammonia is 2.0 nitrites 0.25 and nitrates 3-5... Hoping my cycle is almost there... The only reason I even have fish in there is bc if my husband he refused to wait. If I do clean the tank and do this water change. Should I add more fritz Zyme 7( My beneficial bacteria )... So confused right now?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  9. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    I’d suggest more frequent water changes than you’re doing. I just finished a 5 week cycling process and didn’t rinse the filter until the cycle was complete.

As the aquarium cycled, I was doing partial water changes (about 30%) every 3 days or so and testing the water parameters every day using the API master kit.

10. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    What are you using to test the water and how often are you testing?

11. OP
    OP
    MsRiss

MsRissNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    I see... So do the water change but leave the filters alone. I can do that!!

12. OP
    OP
    MsRiss

MsRissNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    Testing everyday with API freshwater test kit! Nitrites just showed up 2 days ago so I'm a little nervous of a water change. I don't really want to start the cycle over.

13. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    Needing to clean (rinse in siphoned tank water) the filter is just a matter of time, so you should research and understand the process.

If you have more than 1 filter, don’t clean both at the same time.

14. Jayda97

Jayda97Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +66
    Experience:
    2 years
    i had an aqueon filter when i had a 20g and i redid it to not need the cartridges. What you should do in my opinion is go to the store and buy a small pack of bio media. I add extra to my aquaclear filters too so the fluval or aquaclear brand will work its just a little mesh bag of ceramic rocks. I’ll add a picture. You’ll also wanna buy an aquarium sponge or a nonporous unscented kitchen sponge. Make sure you research to get one safe for fish if you dont get an aquarium one. Then you just remove the cartridge and stuff this in your filter instead. You never need to worry about changing it or buying cartridges again. For now since all your beneficial bacteria is in the filter you dont wanna lose that cartridge so id say take it out of the frame, remove the carbon if there is any, and stuff just the white pocket thing inside the filter along with your new media so the bb can multiply onto the new media. You can take the old white thing out once your tank cycles because the bb will double on the other media within 24 hours. I really hope this helps you!!

Attached Files:

15. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    With a fish in cycle, water changes aren’t an option if you want your fish to survive.

Given your ammonia and nitrite levels, I’d guess your fish are stressed. The only way to counteract that is water changes when ammonia and nitrite exceed 1 ppm.

16. Cognac82

Cognac82Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +202
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you using prime to protect the fish from the ammonia? It will detoxify ammonia and nitrites up to one ppm and if you do a water change now you can get it down and the prime will help cover the rest. Do not change the filters during cycling. I have several different kinds of hob filters and I usually don't change the filter pads at all until they disintegrate. I just clean them and replace them. I knock any big chunks off and spray them with the water hose. I don't even swish them gently in used tank water. I blast them. They've been in there so long they're completely saturated with bacteria, so spraying them doesn't affect the cycle. Not familiar with the fritz zyme but when I did a fish in cycle I added TSS during each water change directly to the media. It did help. I don't think it will hurt anything. But definitely don't remove your filter stuff now. And you have to get the ammonia down, or you're going to start seeing some dead fishies. Corys aren't the best for a fish in cycle, as they're a little delicate. Your nitrites are low right now but you may see a spike soon or you might not see much of one since you're using bottled bacteria. Keep testing regularly and change water as needed.

17. Dunk2

Dunk2Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    I was using bottled bacteria during the cycling process. Despite very frequent testing, nitrites never appeared.

18. acjag

acjagValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have an Aqueon filter and just discard their filter and either search Amazon, Chewy.com or possibly your LFS will have filter pads that can be cut to fit your blue filter holder, this is what I do and it is way cheaper plus it gives you the ability to choose your media. I have Matrix on one side and the other has filter pads cut to fit and a bag of purigen. Secondly your ammonia is 2.0???? I'm surprised your fish aren't floating belly up. You need to change your water NOW!!!! 75% at least for starters and use a conditioner such as prime and I also recommend Stabilty from Seachem for a new tank setup. Change your water daily if needed to keep ammonia down, it shouldn't be over 0. Same goes for Nitrites. Nitrates can be elevated some but there is boundaries for that as well. No need to worry about changing water, it has to be done. DON'T touch your filter yet, this is where your good beneficial bacteria will start to live and grow. Eventually you'll have this bacteria throughout your aquarium and this is when it will be safe to change your filter media. When you do change media DON'T do it on water change day and also it would be wise to allow new media to float in aquarium over night before pulling old media. One last thing, your API test kit. When testing especially Nitrates if directions say shake bottle, they should have said beat it to death. The number 2 bottle needs to be shaken extremely well. When your adding drops each drop should come one after the other with no pause like its clogged. The number 2 bottle is not user friendly.

19. JenC

Ratings:
    +1,063
    You've received some really good advice.

If I were in your position I'd do the following:
    • Change enough water to get ammonia+nitrite down to 1 ppm or less, then dose all 55 gallons with Seachem Prime.
    • Continue water changes as needed to keep ammonia+nitrite under that level and dose the tank with Prime daily to protect the fish as long as ammonia or nitrites are present.
    • Dump a bottle of Tetra Safe Start Plus into the filter. Shake it really hard and use the whole bottle. Do it after a water change, not before, so you don't remove the bacteria.
    I'd also modify the filter media to improve its efficacy and eliminate the need for cartridges. You can do it now or later as long as you incorporate the current cartridge's white filter floss. One thing at a time if needed.

Also, tell your husband he's in biiiiig trouble. :D

20. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,608
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hopefully with a 55g, your water changes are not via a bucket.

Do you have a hose to drain and refill tank?

Also, when performing your water changes, be diligent with cleaning the substrate of uneaten food and fish waste.

Please continue with large and frequent water changes to get the ammonia down.

I believe I read your tank is getting cloudy. Probably a bacterial bloom or new-tank syndrom. The bacterial bloom isn't horrible, but it's not the same kind of bacteria that's in the nitrogen cycle.

You can dose with the Fritz-Zyme 7, but the bacteria needs some decent media in your filter to colonize on. Below is a link that will explain this.

Do you gave gravel or sand?

Fish store should have never sold you 5 bettas and some corydoras with a brand new tank to brand new fish keepers.

They should have explained everything better.

At the top of the Freshwater Beginner Section (this section the thread is in), the top thread highlighted in yellow has a title that says "Read First, Freshwater Beginner Topics".

There is a lot of good info there. Please go through it. Very good home work for you and your husband.

Your Aqueon 75 filter is cartridge based. Not horrible, but not optimal.

Your beneficial bacteria need a place in the filter to colonize. The more surface area, the better. The felt pads on the cartridges will colonize some, but not much. Plus they are disposable, which is good for Aqueon sales profit but bad for your tank's nitrogen cycle.

Here is a (link) to a thread on the forum, that walks you through the basics of filtration and how to add your own media to your filter while not having to rely on the cartridges anymore.

The examples shown in the link offer ways to utilize re-usable media, saving you money and filtering the water better.