1st step complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Took nearly the whole day but I set the Aquarium up. It has the fluval 205, Marineland Deluxe Heater, air wall and of course the house my daughter picked out along with several bright plants. I tried to attach a picture hope it worked. Really looks like a little girl's aquarium. No matter how hard I tried could not get the outflow of fluval to sit straight. Otherwise, those that told me it was quite. I cannot tell you how quite. I checked it twice to be certain it was on.
The hardest part was just the time it took. Research really pays off.
I will start with the Ammonia tomorrow. I am going to follow the thread that is at the top of this forum. I think adding daily like it says. It also says at the end you can add all your fish but I am not certain about that. Think I will still add slowly. I mean after getting this far, don't want mini cycle.
I will test my tap water before I do the ammonia but was too tired last night. My daughter said it was "wonderous!!!" several times and just stared at it for an hour while she pointed out various things. Imagine if it had fish.
Had question, the media in Fluval was 2 trays of what looks like hard cast noodles for want of a better word. They are hollow tube like white pieces and then the carbon at the bottom. It has 2 large white foam like material. Can someone tell me what is what so I will know what holds my bacteria and name anything I should add, like maybe water polisher or something else?
I pray this works!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very pretty, nice job

With your Fluval:
- The return not being straight: My 105 had room for suction cups on both sides of the 'brackets' that hold the hose. Try using one on the inside of the tank, and one on the outer. Also, with how stiff their hoses are, sometimes they need a little massaging to help get them to sit right.
- Fluval media:- (the book explains it very well, but here you go)
* The sponges = Mechanical filtration, these sponges stop the heavier particles from getting through to the other parts.
* The ceramic rings = Biological filtration, these are designed for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
* The carbon = Chemical filtration, polishes the water and removes some contaminents.

My thoughts on the Fluval setup:
- NEVER throw away the sponges (Mech) or the ceramic rings (Bio) - beneficial bacteria will grow on both of them. Just rinse the sponges and/or rings in old aquarium water and put back in. (Exception to rule: if either part is falling part/disintegrating, then yes, replace it, but never both simultaneously)
- Carbon - not 100% necessary, but is great for polishing the water. Also, if you want to run the carbon, save yourself a bit of money, and use something like pantyhose as a pouch (brand new, never seen detergent) and loose activated carbon that you can buy in bulk. Rinse first

The setup of the Fluval:
When I set mine up again, I'll be arranging my media as follows:
- Sponges - where they are
- Basket 1 - Bio filtration
- Basket 2 - Bio filtration
- Basket 3 - Chemical and water polishing (fine filter pad/floss)

The idea being that the water passes through the water polisher last, before re-entering the aquarium, and that the chemical (carbon) happens after the bio has had it's chance.

I'm not saying the fluval 'default' method is wrong, it just seems to provide clearer water for me in this order

Just my 2c based on experience with Fluval.

Great looking tank, and I'm sure your daughter is going to love it.

Last edited:

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your 205 should have 4 spounges, two on each side of the pull out plastic frame. In time those sponges will get pretty floppy and will need replacing, but as mentioned above don't replace all four at the same time. (I did 2 waited 4 weeks and changed the other two). Fluval recommends changing the Bio Max (ceramic rings) every 6 months. This is important to help keep Fluval in business, other than that those ceramic rings will last a long, long time.

Fluval also recommends having the carbon in the lower basket, since the carbon will catch small particals that get through the sponge, and stop the Bio-Max rings from getting clogged up with fine particals. I use two bags of carbon in the lower basket, and replace the top bag on the Sunday closest to the first of the month, and the bottom bag on the Sunday closest to the 15th of the month. (It's easy to remember since the top bag gets changed at the top of the month.)

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much

My daughter came straight home and propped her arms on the tank and I promise you spent an hour looking at it again. Had to pull her away to eat. Ryanr thanks for the advice. I will change the media baskets and get the polishing/floss when I go to the store.
I appreciate all the help guys.
YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just wanted to say that I love the fish stand. Did it come painted and all like that or did Mom fix it up?! I can't wait to be able to get a nicer stand for mine.

OP
N

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just wanted to say that I love the fish stand. Did it come painted and all like that or did Mom fix it up?! I can't wait to be able to get a nicer stand for mine.
It came from Petco all painted it is great. It has two doors on the bottom and I love it because it matches her room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom