1st Snail Infestation! Yay...

Aquaman9101

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is my 1st snail infestation, so I don't know what to do. After taking some samples, the life cycle seems to go like this-
1) Eggs hatch
2) Small, clear-gold, disc shaped creature hatches.
3) After a day, the creature matures into a snail that is the same color.
4) After a few hours, it darkens into a dark brown snail, about the size of a Molly's eye, for a lack of a better comparison.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe you can get assassin snails, they hunt down and kill wild snails and their eggs. I never had to do this so someone correct me if I'm wrong. You could also put vegetables (cucumbers or maybe lettuces) on a plate or lid and let it sit overnight and in the morning take all the snails out that gather on it and do this to control or hopefully stop the population. Also monitor your plants and look for and remove any eggs you see. Almost forgot to mention some people actually leave the pest snails in as they sometimes have benefits to your tank but you should still find a way to control population as they do breed alot.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck. I've had them for months. My advise would probably be to move your fish to a temporary home, break down the tank and bleach everything...

I have 3 assasin snails in my tank but hey can't even begin to keep up with the insane breeding speed of the ramshorn snails. manual removal is keeping them in check but I've pretty much given up on ever getting rid of them. Perhaps if I bought 50 assasin snails or something...

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have them in 3 tanks.

I remove them, crush em and hunt for em.

But they aren’t really hurting anything.

I notice if I feed less, their population stalls.

All 3 tanks are pretty clean.

I have nerites and Mystery’s so I haven’t gotten and assassians.

But at some point, I may remove my “good “ snails and introduce some assassians.

Aquaman9101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alright, I reckon I'll keep 'em around, my little bro loves them. I'll obviously do some population control so they aren't the main attraction (i.e. eliminate juveniles to create an aging population every week or so), but the disc phase seems to be their major weakness, so I reckon they'll become stable after a while. Thank you all for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom