1st signs of ich?? what should i dooooo!???? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Akari_32, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

1st signs of ich!! what should i dooooo!????

my guppies are showing the 1st signs of ich! they are rubbing up against the decorations and gravel. i dont actually see it yet, but it just started scratching this morning. what should i do?? i have Wide Spectrum Tonic and i have Jungle Fizz tabs for ich, fish lice, ect. which one would be the best right now?? please help me save my babies T_T i just got three new ones and i would like them all to live D=

p.s.~ i do kno how the ich was introduced... and its all my fault... i have a bamboo plant that was in my previous tank that got infected with ich by some panda corries. i took the plant out and planted it in a pot and some how it ended up out side and got cooked. i brot it in and was messing with the leaves and then fed the fish, with out thinking to wash my hands.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

ICH usually attacks when fish are stressed.

Most meds harm your beneficial bacteria. The best course of action is to slowly raise the temp to 84-86 and hold it there for two weeks or more. Performing partial daily water changes and gravel vac every few days. Sticking a super fine filter pad in your filter to trap some. Also the parasites don't care for salt but salt can't be added into a planted aquarium or scaleless fish like Catfish and Loaches. Some Tetras don't care for it eather. I'm talking about API Freshwater Aquarium Salt.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

unfortunatly, my heater is preset to 78 (Tetra 10-30). and i have salt already in there, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. and i just did a 25-30% water change... tuesday. i'll do one again tho. how much should i do? and i dont have any fine filter pads but i have a sponge filter in there. should i do anything to the filters at all? the last time i soaked the "bio filter" (it was a sponge filter but it was placed after carbon filter) in reeeeealy hot water. should i do that with all of them (i have sponge, carbon and bio) or no?

4. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

Your best option is to buy a heater that you can control the temp on. Its good to have at least one of those on hand... ich being a rather common occurance from pet store fish from what I can see. :-\

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

what brand would you suggest? (cheap is good too....)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice