Question 1st Saltwater Tank

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Really? I guess I guess i shouldn't get my education on these matters from Disney movies It kind of makes sense for them to be territorial though.
Want to make people in the hobby roll their eyes? Ask to add a "Nemo" and a "Dory" to your first tank. Disney/Pixar did a massive disservice to both of these fish. They portray them as these cute fish with wonderful personalities. The truth is that both can be really nasty territorial buttheads and "Dory" gets a foot long and 6-7 inches tall (180 gallon minimum tank required). "Dory" also backs up her size and attitude with a tail scalpel that she can use to slap other fish and cut them up and cause damage (hence why Tangs are sometimes referred to as surgeon fish). "Nemo" isn't quite as bad as he doesn't require a very big tank, is easier to keep/hardy, and is often captive bred these days. Once they get established though they can be really nasty about their set turf. It's not uncommon for them to bite their owners if they reach their hands into the area that they have staked out. One extreme example that I heard from a nice lady on another forum was that she was leaning over her tank doing some clean up work on the glass and a "Nemo" clownfish attempted to jump out of the tank to bite her. The lovely fish missed and ended up going down her tank top still attempting to bite everything in sight. She was a truly dedicated fish person who "fished it out" and put it back in the tank. Cute indeed.

Ok, are firefish and clownfish reef safe? What about anemones?
'nems can sting corals and honestly I find them to be more of a pain then they are worth as they wander wherever they want and require bright light and well established parameters. Many clownfish are captive bred these days and some don't even know what to do with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
aquanerd13

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So what is the best saltwater fish for beginners? Preferably not aggressive, or are all saltwater fish nasty little(or big) turds?

Yup, you can check all the fish you could possibly want on liveaquaria's website. Clownfish: reef compatible, firefish: reef compatible, hermit crabs: with caution
I'm not sure about the anemones though
Ok, thank you. I will check out that website.

Does this look good to you?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So what is the best saltwater fish for beginners? Preferably not aggressive, or are all saltwater fish nasty little(or big) turds?
There are plenty of non aggressive fish, I think ocellaris clowns are up there as on of the best starters
Ok, thank you. I will check out that website.
Sure thing, it's a great rescource
Does this look good to you?
I can't say for sure, it's not the exact same fish for everyone that orders it I think. I also think that may be a 6 line wrasse in the picture they used, they're worse than the clownfish

OP
aquanerd13

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There are plenty of non aggressive fish, I think ocellaris clowns are up there as on of the best starters

Sure thing, it's a great rescource

I can't say for sure, it's not the exact same fish for everyone that orders it I think. I also think that may be a 6 line wrasse in the picture they used, they're worse than the clownfish
Ok, thank you. What are some other really good beginner fish?

Definitely not, they need a species only tank too
Thank you, that is what i thought. Would a non-venomous jellyfish be ok? Just thought it would be kind of funny to have jellyfish.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, thank you. What are some other really good beginner fish?
Probably the two you're already looking at, clowns and firefish
Thank you, that is what i thought. Would a non-venomous jellyfish be ok? Just thought it would be kind of funny to have jellyfish.
I'm pretty sure those also need a species only tank, and an entirely different type of tank too

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Perfect, thank you so much. Is there anything else I should know?
Well one thing that's often overlooked: when you do your top offs, you only use RO or RODI water, no salt. You only use the saltwater you mix for a water change.
On the subject of top offs, take a marker and put a line where the water will no longer be at the right salinity due to evaporation. When the water hits that line, top it off

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any of these fish will work in a 30 gallon and I will try and list temperament:

Peaceful

Small Gobies
Cardinalfish
Possum/Pink Streaked Wrasse
Firefish

Somewhat aggressive:

1-2 Ocellaris Clownfish (you could also do a Percula variety if you so desire)
Royal Gramma Basslet
Small Blennies

Now for the record the last 3 aren't really bad in most cases, I just recommend adding them last on your stocking list. One thing to be aware of for small peaceful fish is that they can also be super timid and hide a lot (learned that the hard way with my first tank), the fish that are a bit more assertive will be generally more visible.

OP
aquanerd13

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any of these fish will work in a 30 gallon and I will try and list temperament:

Peaceful

Small Gobies
Cardinalfish
Possum/Pink Streaked Wrasse
Firefish

Somewhat aggressive:

1-2 Ocellaris Clownfish (you could also do a Percula variety if you so desire)
Royal Gramma Basslet
Small Blennies

Now for the record the last 3 aren't really bad in most cases, I just recommend adding them last on your stocking list. One thing to be aware of for small peaceful fish is that they can also be super timid and hide a lot (learned that the hard way with my first tank), the fish that are a bit more assertive will be generally more visible.
So I am looking at 2 ocellaris, a royal gramma basslet, and a couple gobies. What type of gobie should i get?

Well one thing that's often overlooked: when you do your top offs, you only use RO or RODI water, no salt. You only use the saltwater you mix for a water change.
On the subject of top offs, take a marker and put a line where the water will no longer be at the right salinity due to evaporation. When the water hits that line, top it off
So when do i know the salinity is no longer correct?

Do i just test it periodically, and if the salinity isn't correct, wherever the water level is at that time is where i mark?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So when do i know the salinity is no longer correct?
Do i just test it periodically, and if the salinity isn't correct, wherever the water level is at that time is where i mark?
That's what the refractometer is for, so as the water evaporates the salinity level will go up. Test everyday until it is no longer 1.025, then put your mark where the surface of the water is. This may require that you only fill the tank to the bottom of the rim so you can see it change

I'll let Jester answer the goby question, he knows more than me

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you mix gobies you are going to want 2 that occupy different space (ie Clown Goby and Yellow Prawn Goby or Tangora and rainsford). Gobies are generally peaceful but there will be fights between similar shape gobies that occupy the same parts of the tank.

OP
aquanerd13

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thank you. I get 2 ocellaris, a yellow prawn goby,and a clown goby. Could I get a small tang instead of one of the gobies?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, thank you. I get 2 ocellaris, a yellow prawn goby,and a clown goby. Could I get a small tang instead of one of the gobies?
Definitely not. The Smallest Tang doesn't belong in anything smaller than a 4 foot long tank. Not only are they open water swimmers that need room, Tangs are also somewhat aggressive by nature and the aggression would be heightened by being in a cramped tank. Tangs have a sharp bone spur in their tail that they use to cut up any fish they want to bully or be aggressive to. They back up and do a tail slap and the result is a cut in their targeted fish (hence the reason why they are also called surgeonfish). The point is that in a tank that is too small for one long term, with smaller more peaceful fish the odds are very high that it would become a tank bully and cause harm to the other fish. Disney did a real disservice portraying Tangs as these cute personalities when they are often aggressive jerks (unless you have a tank in the 6 foot long or longer range).

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom