1st Saltwater Tank Question 

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found these. Are they good?

Here is my list so far. What do you think?

And of course fish. So i am definitely going to get Clownfish. What about Hermit Crabs? Are they good for beginners?

I really like the Firefish to. Are there good saltwater plants that i could get?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquanerd13 said:
Also, is it okay to over-filter in a saltwater tank?
Absolutely. Overfilter is true of freshwater and even more so with saltwater.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
I found these. Are they good?
They look good, but usually I recommend Hydor powerheads. Fit your budget though, not what I say
For your list:
That light will work as long as you're not doing corals
Keep in mind that dry rock has to be qt'd and cultured in your tank which makes the cycling take longer, that rockX3 is good
Glass heaters are a big no, the salt eats off the enamel which releases it into the water, and puts the glass at risk of cracking. Full metal, or plastic like an aqueon pro
CaribSea sand is great, I won't say exactly how much you'll need yet since some fish will like it deeper for digging
Great filter
Those powerheads should be good
Are you able to get the RO and DI unit? I think it's about $10 more, very worth it
Refractometer is also good, a TDS meter would also be worth it
DON'T FORGET A TEST KIT!!!

aquanerd13 said:
And of course fish. So i am definitely going to get Clownfish. What about Hermit Crabs? Are they good for beginners?
Keep it simple to start, and add the clowns last (assuming you get nothing more aggressive) I'm not sure about the hermit crabs, so that would be a question for Jester.
aquanerd13 said:
I really like the Firefish to. Are there good saltwater plants that i could get?
You could do a few of those, plants:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=strict&ei=miLSXJftH8ri-gSKuJbYBQ&q=saltwater+tank+live+plants&oq=saltwater+tank+live+plants&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i30.11176.13280..15304...0.0..0.81.386.5......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i13j0i13i30j0i8i13i30j0i7i30.sIhAxU_JPnY

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nikm128 said:
They look good, but usually I recommend Hydor powerheads. Fit your budget though, not what I say
For your list:
That light will work as long as you're not doing corals
Keep in mind that dry rock has to be qt'd and cultured in your tank which makes the cycling take longer, that rockX3 is good
Glass heaters are a big no, the salt eats off the enamel which releases it into the water, and puts the glass at risk of cracking. Full metal, or plastic like an aqueon pro
CaribSea sand is great, I won't say exactly how much you'll need yet since some fish will like it deeper for digging
Great filter
Those powerheads should be good
Are you able to get the RO and DI unit? I think it's about $10 more, very worth it
Refractometer is also good, a TDS meter would also be worth it
DON'T FORGET A TEST KIT!!!
The ro/di unit is 50 bucks more. If it is really worth it, i will get it, but would rather not spend $130 instead of $80. OMG i forgot a test kit!! I am getting an API saltwater master test kit. I have the freshwater version and i am very happy with it.

I added hte tds meter to. Should i add Firefish before or after clowns? Are the clowns aggressive?

I am thinking green glacalaria too. Is it good?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
The ro/di unit is 50 bucks more. If it is really worth it, i will get it, but would rather not spend $130 instead of $80. OMG i forgot a test kit!! I am getting an API saltwater master test kit. I have the freshwater version and i am very happy with it.
Yikes, I forgot it was on sale when I got mine. RO is fine, but both is better. I think if you want to keep inverts and possibly coral the extra money is worth it, up to you
aquanerd13 said:
I added hte tds meter to. Should i add Firefish before or after clowns? Are the clowns aggressive?
Very territorial little buttheads, they would definitely go in last
aquanerd13 said:
I am thinking green glacalaria too. Is it good?
I have no clue being honest here

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquanerd13 said:
Hate to say it but API is the worst of the test kits for saltwater. Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah and Nyos are all better options.

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jesterrace said:
Hate to say it but API is the worst of the test kits for saltwater. Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah and Nyos are all better options.
Oh, thank you! that is a trap I would have fallen into.

nikm128 said:
Yikes, I forgot it was on sale when I got mine. RO is fine, but both is better. I think if you want to keep inverts and possibly coral the extra money is worth it, up to you

Very territorial little buttheads, they would definitely go in last

I have no clue being honest here
Would firefish hurt my clownfish?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
Oh, thank you! that is a trap I would have fallen into.

Would firefish hurt my clownfish?
Absolutely not, the clowns would be the only ones causing injuries

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really? I guess I guess i shouldn't get my education on these matters from Disney movies It kind of makes sense for them to be territorial though.

I am going to get the more expensive water filter system, the one for $130.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
Really? I guess I guess i shouldn't get my education on these matters from Disney movies It kind of makes sense for them to be territorial though.
Lol, clowns are real jerks sometimes

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never would have thought.

Anyways, here is my updated amazon list.

Is there anything that I don't need that I have on there? Anything I need and don't have?

What is the best tank size? Should I just go with a 30 gallon? a 55? a 125?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
Is there anything that I don't need that I have on there? Anything I need and don't have?
I don't think so, looks good

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
aquanerd13 said:
Anyways, here is my updated amazon list
So, Bulk Reef Supply and Marine depot are going to be your best friends here. BRS offers rock called Reef Saver rock at $2.99 a pound, plus you can also request which types of pieces you want. It'll save you a few bucks there. IMO I would skip the tidal and go with an Aquaclear 50-100. Those things are not only beasts that will chug forever, but with a few bucks and some very easy DIY, you can make it into a cheato refugium, which wil lhelp you immensely in keeping water parameters in line.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I actually think the tidal is better between the two, the 75 model OP is looking at circulates 50gph more than the AC70, plus the tidal actually has a bigger media basket. You can stuff it with whatever you want almost

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
How many pounds of live rock?
At least 30, 10lbs per gallon

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
10 per gallon?!?! I thought 1 per gallon!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
aquanerd13 said:
10 per gallon?!?! I thought 1 per gallon!
Yup, you're right. Brain fart again, I need more sleep I think. 1 pound per gallon, or 3 10 pound packs like the one you put on the list

aquanerd13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, that's better. What sort of light should i get?

Will corals be super hard and/or expensive? Should I have corals for my fish?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you don't want to do corals anymore, any old light will do, so it depends. What do you want to do?

aquanerd13 said:
Will corals be super hard and/or expensive? Should I have corals for my fish?
There are cheaper ones, and ones that are easier to take care of. Should no, can absolutely as long as the fish you pick are reef safe

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom