1st nail clipping on own...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by MJDuti, Aug 2, 2015.

1. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

...and it was a success. Super nervous at first though. Put him on his back while holding him with a hand towel and held his foot. He didn't fight it as much as I thought he would. Any tips or advice from you guys? Had the skeptic powder close by just in case, but no blood thankfully.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Is this your lovebird?

I have had a goffin cockatoo for 9 years, and I've never had to clip his nails. I strongly recommend against nail clipping on birds actually. It's super easy to clip too much, and they bleed a lot. You might want to look into using a dremel to file the nails. I'd most recommend investing in a Sandy Perch though, and place it as the highest perch in the cage. The perch helps the bird naturally keep their nails short and soft (no sharp points!). This way, there's not stress for the bird being wrapped in a towel, and no chance of injury if you cut the nail too short.

For my cockatoo, I use multiple Sandy Perches, and I've only had to dremel his nails a few times his entire life.

3. OP
    OP
    MJDuti

Yes, this is for my lovebird. He does have a sand perch for his top perch. It's just his wings and nails grow soooo fast, which gets super uncomfortable when he's on you.

4. TexasDomer

You might want to rotate the sand perch then, and maybe buy one or two more. You should rotate your perches every so often anyway, so their feet aren't always on the same pressure points.

Do you have a dremel? It's a tool you can find at any hardware store, and you can use a softer sandpaper head.

It also might be helpful to train him to let you clip his wings without having to wrap him in a towel (which is stressful for them unfortunately). My 'too knows when I come close with scissors that it's wing clipping time, and he'll let me pull his wing out and clip the feathers with no problems. So easy, and his cooperation makes it easier to avoid blood feathers. We turn it into a game, and he gets a reward afterwards. I make it fun so it's not stressful on either of us!

5. OP
    OP
    MJDuti

Lol, I'll have to keep trying. He isn't a fan if I try to play with his wings. I can pretty much do anything else with him though.

Next time I go to the bird store I'll pick up another perch

6. TexasDomer

Keeping working at it, he should come around :) I started messing with mine's wings when I was cuddling him, and I increased the amount of time I spent messing with his wings as time went on. Now he enjoys it when I play with his wings (just don't pet the area of the body under the wings! That's suggestive of you wanting to mate with him, and you might see some unwanted sexual behaviors).

7. OP
    OP
    MJDuti

I have gotten him a little better about being on his back, but still working at it. I'll try more with his wings. Do you think as he gets older he'll get better? He's only about 1 1/2.

And he is a lovebird so I've gotten used to unwanted sexual behavior. I already think he thinks I'm his mate. Other than me, he "loves" his couch pillow...a lot!

BTW, what does it mean when he stuffs things in his feathers?

8. TexasDomer

Mine will let me put him on his back, but I still can't file his nails without putting him in a towel. That's my fault though, I didn't work enough with him to get him used to the dremel.

He'll get better the more you do it with him!

I used to play a game with him where I would hide beads under his feather and he would find them and bury them somewhere else. I would find them and move them again. He enjoyed it. Now he puts beads under his wing and on his back, leans forward, and catches them with his beak as they fall. It's a game he can play by himself to keep himself occupied, or we can play it together (I put them on his back or under his wing). He has a bowl full of plastic and wooden beads for this purpose!