1st Impulse buy and needing information

NofishB4

So I went to my LFS today for a nerite snail and came out with a rainbow goby (stiphodon ornatus). I'm not sure how it happened.

My tank is 36x19x12 and has a high flow corner where I've baffled my HOB filter to go down the glass. My back wall, and side walls have some algae and my anubias is covered. I worry that my rocks are a bit rough for him but they also have a decent amount of algae on them.

The parameters look ok based on research at 76-77 snd a PH of 8.2 (a little high). Sand substrate.

He's doing a lot of open water swimming and then settling on the rocks. Is that normal behavior? He has yet to go to the bottom.

Frank the Fish guy

Fish with this body shape need fast flowing water with high oxygen. He is looking for a place with high flow. He lives in fast flowing streams. He finds a rock so he can sit and let the water breathe for him. Then he can grab some snacks as they flow downstream. Try to give him something like that. He won't like it if the water stays still.

Upvote 0

NofishB4

Fish with this body shape need fast flowing water with high oxygen. He is looking for a place with high flow. He lives in fast flowing streams. He finds a rock so he can sit and let the water breathe for him. Then he can grab some snacks as they flow downstream. Try to give him something like that. He won't like it if the water stays still.
It's weird that you say that. He is one of the only fish I have that hasn't hung around the high flow area of the tank while getting used to the tank. He kind of darted through it a few times but didn't hang there. The rock is the closest to it though

I think I have pretty high oxygenation as most of my algae is brown diatom

Upvote 0

NofishB4

These are the rocks I have in the tank. I'm going to start an algae farm with small smooth river rocks and also buy some repashy soilent green to put on some to supplement. I also have spirulina bug bites flakes that I will make as small as possible to add at feeding. The other fish are not super fond of it so hopefully some will get to the bottom.

Right now he seems a little stressed from the other fish moving in the tank. I will keep a close eye on him. He has colored up since adding him and his fins are started to sparkle with blue edging

Attachments

• 20201220_072307.jpg
    20201220_072307.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201220_073045.jpg
    20201220_073045.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Frank the Fish guy

What a gorgeous tank and adorable critters! Nicely done! The y are just figuring out how to get along in their little world. It's such a nice tank they all are going to want to claim it for their own! Fish will have to learn to share.

Upvote 0

NofishB4

I thought I’d post a little update since finding information on gobies can be a little challenging.
Scooter, as my daughter calls him, took a solid 2-3 weeks to get comfortable in my tank and come out of his caves (he has made several). He was very timid around the other fish to the point I wondered if he’d starve.
In the last 10 days or so he’s really come out of his shell! He realized if there is a big congregation of fish in an area that probably means there is food there and just wiggles his way into the frenzy. I don’t clean my glass, except the front, or my hardscape and he grazes all over but he definitely does not turn his nose at prepared.
I wish I could get him some ladies but I don’t think I have enough biofilm quite yet and my LFS is sold out at the moment. For now he will be a bachelor.
I worried about the oxygenation levels of my tank at 78 but ironically he still stays away from the flow area in the back (which my rummynose love).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
OceanicWhitetipShark
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
americanninja