1st Fish Death In Over A Year

1. HORNET1

HORNET1 Well Known Member Member

:( I woke up this morning to discover one of my female platys dead and covered in some sort of white cotton type slime. She was my first fish loss in well over a year. She was stinky upon removal.
    Can anyone tell me what that slime is and offer any ideas as to what caused the death?
    I performed an immediate 30% water change and all the other fish appear to be doing fine. It is a well maintained 29 gallon planted community tank.

2. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Valued Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Bits of uneaten food in my tank and deceased critters have turned slimey if i don't remove them right away. It's possible that the slime appeared postmortem.

3. wrs2

wrs2 Well Known Member Member

Yeah all fish that I have had that died turned slimy and white.

4. Bri Bri

Bri Bri New Member Member

I am sorry for your loss... :(

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Probably the start of decomp...warm waters, enclosed space...it's like when a body goes into rigor mortise.

6. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

The white slime is decomposition and bacteria. Its totally normal and everything that dies and stays in the water gets covered in it.

7. OP
    OP
    HORNET1

Thanks for the info folks.
    I'm just surprised at how quickly it happened (overnight).
    That dead fish literally looked like it was in a cocoon.

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

9. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

S.I.P.

10. OP
    OP
    HORNET1

I am meticulous with my tank maintenance.
    I perform a 30% water change every Monday and Friday. (I have the time because I'm retired)
    When I discovered the dead fish this morning, I immediately did a 30% water change.
    In your opinion...Would it be advisable to do another 30% change tomorrow (Thursday) and then another on Friday
    and then resume my regular Monday and Friday schedule next week?

11. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

If you have the time I'd say go for it.

12. DuaneV

Thats a LOT of water changing. Are your parameters off, or are you just doing them for the fun of it? I think unnecessary water changes might be a little stressful on the fish.

As for the fish dying, I wouldnt worry about doing a water change just because, but its your call.

13. OP
    OP
    HORNET1

Parameters are fine. I'm probably overreacting.
    Fish deaths are rare around here.
    I'm mostly concerned about disease, bacterial, fungal outbreaks at this point.

14. DuaneV

All fish die. If left in the tank longer than a few hours the "white slime" starts building up. Nothing to freak out about, nothing harming the water, no need for a water change, no outbreaks will happen, etc. Its like if you drop a clump of food in and it doesnt get eaten, a new piece of driftwood, etc. Bacteria jumps on it, coating it. No harm, no foul.

15. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Hey, it happens. So sorry for your loss. Your fish is still swimming in fish heaven though if that makes you feel any better.

16. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Was she pregnant?

I’ve had deaths of both platys and guppies pregnant females with no other losses for months. I think the pregnancy is the cause.

I second if parameters are good, go back to your regular water change schedule.

17. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

If you’ve had your fish for a while and you’ve done plenty of of WC it shouldn’t really stress your fish out anymore or much at all.

18. OP
    OP
    HORNET1

YES...She was very pregnant

19. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I doubt there is anything wrong with your tank.

Pregnant female livebearers have a pretty high death rate.

I recently had a female guppy that had 4-6 “hatches” die and she was VERY pregnant.

I had 4 female guppies that were almost 3” long, 2 died recently at about the time I expected them to drop fry.

Had the same experience with a female platy s few months ago.

20. T

Td644 New Member Member

How many times had she been pregnant? Back when I breed Molly for my LFS the females'd make it through about 4-5 pregnancy's before the stress to got them. So I used to have to watch them like a hawk to remove any girl after her 4th drop and put her into the vacation tank for a few months to let her rest.