1st attempt at DIY fish food = Success!

1. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

After spending about $6 for a 3.5oz box of mussel cubes, I decided to make my own fish food.

In a blender I blended clams, shrimp, bay scallops, bloodworms, brine shrimp, silver sides, oyster, seaweed, carrot, and peas. I boiled some gelatin and added it to the rest. Then I poured it into ice cube trays & let it sit in the freezer until it froze. Then I put the cubes in a little freezer proof box.

I clamped one piece with a veggie clip. My puffer, Steve, went after it immediately! He took big bites out of it. He was getting pretty full, and was starting to eat slower, when some of it broke off. It was funny watching him chase a piece around the tank, but not eating it. I think he ate so much he got a belly ache. He's got his tail wrapped around himself and is laying in his sleeping spot.

I love puffers!

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:giggle: That's cute. Glad it was successful. Maybe too successful. :p

3. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

It was so funny! Chase chase chase, back off, chase chase chase, back off.
    "I'm really full, but it's SO tasty!"

4. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:;laughing I can just imagine it! :;rl

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome. Have you given any thought to adding some garlic and a vitamin?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Aquatic Mouse. Your fish food sounds great! I'm glad to hear your fish are enjoying it!
    Ken

7. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

haha great! :)
    Only a little time consuming =[
    I'm glad your puffer likes it - who doesn't love puffers? :)

8. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

That sounds great! I am awful at making fish food, and mine always comes out yucky (it probably has to do with the fact that I am hopeless in the kitchen ;) ).

9. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

I was afraid of using a multivitamin, because I'm not sure what supplements might be too much for my fish. Example, 1500 mg of calcium would be fine for us, but if too much of that powder went to a puffer, what would it do to him?

I thought about adding garlic, but no recipes I looked at included it. I wasn't sure why they didn't have it, but I didn't add it...just in case.

Miss MTS, did you remember to add gelatin? :) I thought mine would turn out gross, but it gelled great!

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think Shawnie said she uses a multi-v. But it could have been someone else.

I would think the garlic would be safe

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Garlic would do well in your fish food. It's an immune system builder, great for fish and humans too. You can even add a drop or two of garlic into your tank if you wanted. Maybe once a month. Too, I think it was Shawnie that added a multi vitamin to her food. I'm sure she'll respond before long.
    Ken

12. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

I thought maybe garlic wasn't in the recipes because it doesn't freeze well or didn't work with the gelatin. I'll research it some more.