1ppm Of Ammonia In Tap Water. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nick-Alan, Apr 22, 2018.

  1. Nick-AlanNew MemberMember

    I woke up and all my ghost shrimp were dead. I found an ammonia spike in my tank after a water change. I was highly suspicious, so I tested the water straight from my sink. MY SINK WATER HAD OVER 1PPM OF AMMONIA.



    Any suggestions? Tips, Tricks?

    Does this stuff hurt humans too?



    I also noticed on one of my molly fish his scales are turning white. - Could this be related?



    Using the Freshwater Master Test Kit by API



    Day of water change:

    Ammonia @ > 0.25 ppm

    Nitrite @ 0.00 ppm

    Nitrate @ >5.0 ppm



    Day after water change:

    Ammonia @ < 1.00 ppm

    Nitrite @ 0.00 ppm

    Nitrate @ > 0.00 ppm



    Currently:

    Day of water change:

    Ammonia @ > 0.25 ppm

    Nitrite @ 0.00 ppm

    Nitrate @ >5.0 ppm
     
  2. Caleb SmithValued MemberMember

    In a cycled tank, 1 ppm of Ammonia should have no effect and should be easily filtered out. My guess is that because it was a shrimp tank, your colony of BB wasn’t large enough to handle it and that killed a few shrimp. The dead shrimp then released more ammonia that killed the others and so on.
     
Loading...




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice