1g hospital tank, question about heater

OuiBonjour

I have a betta that caught Columnaris, and I've put him in an hospital tank that is around 1 gallon, with Aquarium Salt, Catapa Leaves and Malachiite Green. I change the water every day.

I have a heater, but it's not one that I can change its temperature. It is preset @ 78F.

The first day I've decided to put the heater in the hospital tank (which is a big platic container), but when I came back during the night there was like half an inch of water since it evaporated. It was horrible and I'm even surprised my betta survived.

I removed it, refilled with treated water, and the next day during the day I just put a desk lamo over the tank with the light itself heating the water to 80F. That way, the water didn't evaporate.

However, this morning, after turning the lamp off for the night, the temperature was around 68F in the tank.

Is it too cold ? Is the difference from 80-82F during the day to 68F during the night is to drastic and dangerous to cause a shock ? Would I be better to keep the heat comoletely off, even during the day, and even if the temp would be around 68 and maybe lower all day and night ?

PS : I know Furan 2 or even Kanaplan would be better than Malachiite Green, but those are illegal in Canada.

Thanks for the suggestions!

veggieshark

In my experience a hospital tank with suboptimal conditions is a death sentence. It needs to be as comfortable as the real thing. The small size of the tank, and the low plus fluctuating temperature will all work against you and your betta. Try to get a larger container and a heater that can keep constant at the temp that is needed.

The water entirely evaporating is suspicious at the preset temp. That heater may even be malfunctioning.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Upvote 0

RayClem

It is very difficult to maintain a constant temperature in a 1 gallon tank. An overnight change from 82 degrees to 68 degrees will make your sick fish even sicker.

High lighting is stressful to bettas, so I would not suggest using a light bulb 24 hours per day to heat the tank. You can get a 25 watt ceramic heating element for reptiles that might work in your lamp to provide heat without light.

If you have a heating pad, placing the container on the pad might work, but I do not know how well you will be able to control the temperature.

The best bet would be to get a 25 watt aquarium heater. Many small heaters do not come with an adjustable thermostat, so make sure the one you get is adjustable.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

In my experience a hospital tank with suboptimal conditions is a death sentence. It needs to be as comfortable as the real thing. The small size of the tank, and the low plus fluctuating temperature will all work against you and your betta. Try to get a larger container and a heater that can keep constant at the temp that is needed.

The water entirely evaporating is suspicious at the preset temp. That heater may even be malfunctioning.

Edited to correct autocorrect.
It is very difficult to maintain a constant temperature in a 1 gallon tank. An overnight change from 82 degrees to 68 degrees will make your sick fish even sicker.

High lighting is stressful to bettas, so I would not suggest using a light bulb 24 hours per day to heat the tank. You can get a 25 watt ceramic heating element for reptiles that might work in your lamp to provide heat without light.

If you have a heating pad, placing the container on the pad might work, but I do not know how well you will be able to control the temperature.

The best bet would be to get a 25 watt aquarium heater. Many small heaters do not come with an adjustable thermostat, so make sure the one you get is adjustable.

****, I'm ashamed but I just checked the spare heater that I first put in it, and it was a 100W.... That's why all the water evaporated the first day... Since it was very small I took for granted it was a 25W... I feel so bad

Anyways, I took the 25W from his official 5G tank and put it in his hospital tank. Hope it will be okay !

Upvote 0

RayClem

****, I'm ashamed but I just checked the spare heater that I first put in it, and it was a 100W.... That's why all the water evaporated the first day... Since it was very small I took for granted it was a 25W... I feel so bad

Anyways, I took the 25W from his official 5G tank and put it in his hospital tank. Hope it will be okay !

Although a 100 watt heater is overkill for a 1 gallon tank, unless the thermostat is not functioning properly, it should not have overheated the tank. It just will cycle on and off quickly.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Although a 100 watt heater is overkill for a 1 gallon tank, unless the thermostat is not functioning properly, it should not have overheated the tank. It just will cycle on and off quickly.

Yea, I'm puzzled by the whole thing. I find it difficult to believe that the water level dropped that much overnight from just evaporation. Is there another possible explanation? Maybe a dog or cat drank from it?

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Hey guys, sorry for the delay.

I couldn't find any other possible cause for the water, as the tank is inside a cubic shelf and I added something in front that covered the whole square hole (to avoid my cat trying to catch and eat the fish). The next morning, I removed what I've put in front of it, and it is then that I noticed there was almost no water in the container anymore. There were no water on the shelf, and the space behind it was too tight for my cat to be able to go there. Some water got into maybe one foot of the tubing of the air-stone (which was off but I forgot to remove) but it didn't reach the machine, so it wasn't enough to remove all the water as the tubing is really thin.

Also, my cat barely drinks more than a sip of water from his bowl each day, if he one day manage to drink 3/4 of a gallon I'll be very worried Oh, and he would have eaten the fish if he'd had access to the container, as he's very curious about all my fishes!

That being said, that 100W heater had been bought second hand, so it's possible that it was defective. Other than that I don't know what could have done this, I really thought it was because the heater was too powerful for such a small container. Also, when I said 1 gallon it was an approximation, it's possible it might be smaller. Could it change anything related to that heater ? For sure I will make more tests with that heater before I use it in another tank.

As for my columnaris situation so far, I didn't have any issues with the 25W heater, and I'm still doing daily water changes. I'm dosing with Aquarium Salt and Malachiite Green. The second day, his white patchbeind the face started to peel a little, but the next morning the peeling seemed to heal and I could see some scales reappearing.

Today is day 5 I believe and the peeling next to his eye is still healing good, with way less white and way more scales. The bigger part on the side of his back is less white and I can see some new scales, however it seems like the white area expanded towards his belly (unless it was there since the beginning but I didn't notice?) and that area is way more white than the rest, with no scales at all.

For the last 2 days, he's not really active, and he stays under or over the eater, like if he'd be cold, but the water in th container is 80-82. Unfortunately, I cannot change the temp on any of my heater (they're supposed to remain at around 78). He's not super interested in eating, but he took a bite this morning. Normally he has more appetite than that, but the fact that he is still eating at least a little is good I hope.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Cobalt Neotherm makes one as well and works wonderful for me. With temperature fluctuations in ambient temperature I started to cover my betta tank with a fleece blanket during the night, it seems to help.
Thought about a heating pad, but the lack of adjustment scares me.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

I think as soon as I get some money coming in (it's a difficult period at the moment), I'll try one of these.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I think as soon as I get some money coming in (it's a difficult period at the moment), I'll try one of these.
Start with a blanket...it should help. Good luck for your little buddy.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Thanks !

By the way, he's still in his hospital tank. Both his right side's bleached spot andthe one behind his right eye are back to blue with full on scales !! However after a few days there was a new white area below the white area he had on his right side, again with no scales. Now it's getting less white and a few scales are coming back, but it seems like it's not getting better (nor worse) and has been similar for like 3-4 days.

I'm still changing the water every 24 hours, I maybe skipped 2 different days in total but dosed with Prime to compensate the potential Ammonia accumulation in 24+ hours. Each time I change water I try to change like 90-95% (in fact I remove until there's not enough water for him to stay vertical, maybe like 2 centimeters, and then I add some aquarium salt and malachiite green. When water starts getting transparent for 2 days in a row, I add more almond leaves.

Each time I add new water, I add some conditioner too, even though I'm not sure it's necessary since there'S no filter. I gave him some new hiding spots so that he chills less arountd the heater, and he's a little more active when it's time to eat (he's still eating well).

I'm wondering if there's something else I could do differently ? Also, should I keep him there and continue the way I'm doing until there's no white anymore at all under his belly ? It's been 17 days already.

I'm sad it's not healed yet, but I'm glad he's still alive and that I see some progress. Any new ideas ? Or should I continue ? I see progress physically, but I can't deny he seems way less happy in his plastic container with no actual view of what is happenning in the house (because of my cat I need to put something to block the area, but it's opaque. I'm affraid 19 days with minimal view of house action might depress him ?)

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Day 20 or 21. His sides are still looking good, but I noticed a paler patch on the back now, and the one on his belly is still white.

He's still eating but he seems depressed in his plastic pot. I'm wondering if the salt, Malachiite Green and tannins are actually doing anything. I'm thinking that if it doesn't help and that he might still end up passing away in the long run, maybe I should put him back in his 5 gallon tank so that he could at least have good last days or weeks in his environment with his snail friends and plants ?

What do you guys think ?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
lexometer77
Replies
Views
alven
Replies
Views