1968 aquarium book. Title: Tropical fish as a hobby. Funny

1. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

So I was just randomly checking aquarium books from the library and I grabbed this ancient book.

Pros: pretty high tech for an old book.

Cons: Wow this is going to be long. First of all quoting from this section called Paradise Fish:
    A coution should be sounded about mixing the Paradise Fish with goldfish: (no duh) if they are not in a large pool, keep them separated. No they should not be together at all. Here is their reason for it not being with them: The Paradise Fish seem to be jealous of the goldfish's flowing fins and they see to it that they do not stay flowing very long. First of all: this shows that back then they actually thought tropical fish could be kept with goldfish! Here is another part of the paradise fish section: Temperature as low as 50 degrees F and as high as 90 F seem to have little effect on their well being, though temperature and environmental conditions do affect their breeding habits.

The book also lists Texas Cichlids as 'peaceful' (wow I wonder how many community tanks this ruined)

Overall I just thought it would be interesting to share about a 1968 aquarium book and how things have changed since then. I encourage you to write about any strange advice some aquarium books have given you.

2. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I started in fish keeping around 1978 as a kid and I cant believe what's changed. I remember when UGF's were the bomb and how horrified even keepers were to find out that we need to keep bacteria in our tanks to help them-how weird is that! Bacteria ???

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Under gravel filters, what are they?
    I come from a time when the only filtering done was when the water was so dirty you couldn't see the fish & had to change it.
    The tank was emptied, fish dumped in a bucket, tank scrubbed clean with soap & water, rinsed a couple of times & refilled with tap water no dechlorinator & fish were dumped back in.
    I do remember us having a very noisy air pump with a bubbler in the tank.
    Thank goodness we know so much more now

4. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I remember that well :) I was lucky to have a father who was a Chemist (blood chemistry) and was a least helped with that problem. He hooked up some lab container they used at the hospital and filled it with carbon and floss. Looking back that was even right by todays standards. My Dad is AWSOME!!!

* hey, thinking about it, that might have been the first DIY canister filter-hmmm...?

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I remember those ratly noisy air pumps. They sound they emitted was equivalent to that of a current small air compressor...
    Anders247, I think i've read that book before as the title sounds familiar, I believe it was one of Dr. Axlerods first publications. I own a few of his books he has written or has had input in, some that come to mind are: Goldfish and Koi in the Home, Koi around the World, Mini Atlas for Freshwater Fish, Encyclopedia of Freshwater/ Tropical Fishes, Healthy Pond fish are a few that come to mind. All great reads, but agree, great to see how information has changed over time. I will add though, that goldfish can be kept in tropical tanks as long as they have been acclimated and their oxygen/diet needs are met.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I've got a book from 1928 !!!! Some streams and lakes mentioned to get your plants from haha. Need some updates !!!

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes it is by him, you can do that!?!?!?! Well you need to do some informing around here Rivieraneo

8. fishingdeep Member Member

I still have this book believe it or not. It was part of any fish keeping advice source. Oh and yes, we lost a few fish following the advice. Makes me smile :)