190 Gallon Freshwater Stock Compatibility

Ayzal

I'm wanting to try my hand at keeping larger fish species and I wanted to get opinions on this stocking idea:

Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus)
Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides)
Congo Tetra (Phenacogrammus interruptus) - Dither
Gourami - Dwarf (Trichogaster lalius)
Kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher)
Neon/Electric Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher)
Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus oblongus) - Dither & Cleaners

Are these compatible, if so how many of each is recommended? Anything else I can add or any other cleaners?

German Blue Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) - I would like to keep these too, but I've read that their requirements are not compatible with the Bolivans?

Blacksheep1

German blues like a warmer temperature than Bolivians. I’d wonder if you’ll have territory issues but it could work if you set it up right for a tank that size

Upvote 0

A201

In a 190 gal. tank most of your listed fish will look really small.
Maybe look at a group of Geophagus & Electric Blue Acara.
A big group of Congo Tetras would look good, but a big group of Denison Barbs or Filamentosa Barbs would look better.
YoYo Loaches would make a good bottom crew.

Upvote 0

coralbandit

I would not keep rams [either type] or apistos with EBA.
I might let a pair of kribs whip the EBA around a little, but mostly the EBA will pester smaller fish .
I have Denisons and clown loaches with my EBA in my 180g .
Highly recommend the Denison and the clowns .
Not sure I will replace the EBA, they are about 5 years old now ..

Upvote 0

Ayzal

I would not keep rams [either type] or apistos with EBA.
I might let a pair of kribs whip the EBA around a little, but mostly the EBA will pester smaller fish .
I have Denisons and clown loaches with my EBA in my 180g .
Highly recommend the Denison and the clowns .
Not sure I will replace the EBA, they are about 5 years old now ..
Even just one EBA wouldn’t work or do they need to be in pairs?

Upvote 0

A201

IMO, Blue Acara look better in groups of five or six.

Upvote 0

coralbandit

I would not keep less then 4 of any fish in case pairing occurs.
EBA are like miniature Oscars IMO with a little less attitude . Mine are all of 5-6 inches .
They greatly out size rams ,apistos and most kribs .
They all prefer the same space in tank [ bottom ] ..

Upvote 0

MacZ

I'd not do any dwarf cichlids in a combination like this, not even in a tank that size. They are all territorial and have relatively similar bottomdwelling lifestyles. With different demands for water parameters. That's all but ideal. Maybe if you add tons of driftwood, whole branches and cubic meters of leaf litter that might work, then the necessary overgrown surface area for any type of gourami is out of the question as you can't plant a lot in a botanical style tank.

But really... the plan sounds like a fish soup.

In a tank that size you can do e.g. the following, if you want to stick to species roughly that size. Group sizes are depending on species.
For the top (all need a certain amount of high growing plants and floaters and enjoy cover from twigs and branches):
- 1 species of group fish (e.g. hatchetfish, pencilfish, Epyplatys)
- 1 species of territorial or bigger group fish (gourami)

For the middle:
1-3 species of group fish (e.g. tetras, barbs, rasboras)

For the bottom:
1 species of group fish (e.g. Corydoras, Brochis, loaches)
1-2 species of dwarf cichlids group sizes and m:f ratio depend on structure and tank dimensions (volume means nothing for stocking, frankly)

Upvote 0

Ayzal

Hmmm… I didn’t realize the rams, apisto, and kribs were that small. I really should get a ruler to measure these all out.

I really wanted colorful fish. What other similar sized fish can be with EBA? I saw Geophagus mentioned. If that mix I have is bad, I’d rather keep EBA since I want to be able to see my fish… but I still would like different colors if possible

Upvote 0

TClare

I don’t actually see anything wrong with keeping small fish in a big tank.

Upvote 0

coralbandit

The Denison is barb is hard to beat for looks and large tank behavior .
I keep no less then 8 in my tank going up to 12 when I need to re stock .

They grow to 4-6 inches and do best in groups of 4+.
They are peaceful, schooling, fast and nibble on algae which is always a plus .

Upvote 0

Ayzal

The Denison is barb is hard to beat for looks and large tank behavior .
I keep no less then 8 in my tank going up to 12 when I need to re stock .

They grow to 4-6 inches and do best in groups of 4+.
They are peaceful, schooling, fast and nibble on algae which is always a plus .
Would I not need SAE then since these eat it too?

Upvote 0

MacZ

You don't need algae eaters anyway. During the first year or so algae of different types and species come and go anyway while the tank is still balancing out. Once biological balance is achieved algae should be at a minimum and their appearance show you if minor imbalances are occuring.

Upvote 0

Blacksheep1

The territory was my worry but others explained it a lot better than I did !! Dennison barbs are a beautiful fish regardless of algae eating or not, but in my opinion would fare better than sae’s as they are larger and wouldn’t get “bullied” the same. Macz has given a fantastic explanation above and each reason why. If you prefer smaller fish you could pick a certain apisto or ram etc and add a larger amount of top dwelling schoolers providing the water requirements match well
Hmmm… I didn’t realize the rams, apisto, and kribs were that small.

Small fish , big personalities. Whereas small schooling fish such as some tetras don’t give the same pleasure IMO ( although I love my tetras a lot , they just aren’t the same ) Congo tetras are a lot bigger than most and are one of my favourite fish despite looking plain when smaller, again would fare well compared to smaller tetras such as neons or rummy nose’s with apistos or rams.

Upvote 0

Ayzal

Okay, I’ll get Denison barbs if I can find them in stores! They look really nice in a group.

I really want EBA, so I’ll wait until I get another tank to have the smaller species like a apistos and rams. Thank you for the thorough explanations!

I was reading and saw discus, angels, and Pearl gouramis are compatible with EBA?

Upvote 0

MacZ

I was reading and saw discus, angels, and Pearl gouramis are compatible with EBA?
Discus need quite warm water, even warmer than rams. Angels can be tricky due to behaviour, pearl gourami are definitely a better choice. Peaceful, surfaceoriented, can be kept in groups... But needs proper cover at the top, so floaters and branches are a must.

Upvote 0

Ayzal

Discus need quite warm water, even warmer than rams. Angels can be tricky due to behaviour, pearl gourami are definitely a better choice. Peaceful, surfaceoriented, can be kept in groups... But needs proper cover at the top, so floaters and branches are a must.

That's true. So with warmer waters, the Denison Barbs aren't a good fit then since they prefer cooler temps?

So redoing the stock:
- 6 Electric Blue Acara
- 3/5 Discus (Temp around 82? Or replace them with 6/8 Boeseman's Rainbowfish?)
- 4 Angels (I have a different tank to move these if behavior becomes an issue)
- 5 Pearl Gourami
- 6 Congo Tetra (or 6 Denison Barbs if Discus aren't a good fit)

Upvote 0

TClare

Discus can be quite difficult (and expensive) so do some research first. I believe many people do not usually recommend keeping discus and angelfish together as the angels are much more dominant (86 ssinit ?), and I would not recommend keeping both Angelfish and gouramis together. Choose one or the other. You could have a group of 6 or 7 angelfish as you have the backup tank available in case any become problematic, there is less likely to be serious injury in a bigger group, though they do bicker a lot. I don't have much experience with gouramis but they would probably be fine.

Upvote 0

MacZ

That's true. So with warmer waters, the Denison Barbs aren't a good fit then since they prefer cooler temps?

So redoing the stock:
- 6 Electric Blue Acara
- 3/5 Discus (Temp around 82? Or replace them with 6/8 Boeseman's Rainbowfish?)
- 4 Angels (I have a different tank to move these if behavior becomes an issue)
- 5 Pearl Gourami
- 6 Congo Tetra (or 6 Denison Barbs if Discus aren't a good fit)
I meant EITHER Angels, Discus OR Pearl gourami. Not all of them.

Upvote 0

Ayzal

Ooh... my misunderstanding. Then, how about this?

- 6 Electric Blue Acara
- 6/8 Boeseman's Rainbowfish
- 5 Pearl Gourami
- 6 Congo Tetra (or 6 Denison Barbs if I find them)

Are the numbers good?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Maybe Melanotaenia lacustris instead of the M. boesemani and up the congo tetra to 10-15 and you're done.

Upvote 0

FishFiendSP

Make sure to have the proper ratio of M:F with the pearl gouramis since most gouramis prefer harems instead of a social life with other members of the same gender. Also, you might want to consider a small cleanup crew like some cories.

Upvote 0

Ayzal

Make sure to have the proper ratio of M:F with the pearl gouramis since most gouramis prefer harems instead of a social life with other members of the same gender. Also, you might want to consider a small cleanup crew like some cories.
Can you sex them when they're juvenile though? Most stores I go to, they're all pretty young and what would I do if I end up getting more males since stores don't do exchanges I believe.

Upvote 0

FishFiendSP

Can you sex them when they're juvenile though? Most stores I go to, they're all pretty young and what would I do if I end up getting more males since stores don't do exchanges I believe.
I'm not sure how to sex them as juveniles so I'd ask more experienced people than myself.

Upvote 0

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom