19 Gallon Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sxusie, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sxusie

SxusieValued MemberMember

i already have a betta in a 3 gallon and was wanting to give him some more space and add some more fishies, i came across a good value 70 litre aquarium which i think is around 18 or 19 lires, is this stocking ok? or any other suggestions?
    1 male betta
    2 african dwarf frogs
    5 neon tetras

thanks

2. Rainy day

Rainy dayWell Known MemberMember

What are the dimensions of the tank? Neon tetras like cooler water than the betta, and african dwarf frogs don't do well with fish. You could swap the neons for cardinals, provided your tank is long enough. Some inverts would be nice.

3. OP
    OP
    Sxusie

it 22 by 12.5 by 16 is that ok?

4. Rainy day

Is that cm or inches? Either way, it's too small for medium sized active schoolers like neon tetra and cardinals. If it's inches you could do green neon tetras, though they're sold lot smaller and might get eaten by your betta if they aren't fully grown.

5. OP
    OP
    Sxusie

its inches and thank you i didn't know! and is that the best option to keep all fish happy because thats my top priority

6. Rainy day

Yeah, I realized it was clearly inches afterwards, sorry for the redundant question.
    Yes it is, cardinals are just too big and active for a footprint like that, green neons are much smaller and look nearly identical. Most people don't recommend doing a community tank with a betta unless you have a 20 gallon long, though if your betta is mellow enough you could do it in your tank. Just make sure you frequently watch for aggression and are ready to separate them.

So from your original plan, you can replace the 5x neons with 6x green neons, and you could replace the frogs for shrimp or snails. Nerite snails are pretty neat and they'll clean the algae off your glass for you. Ghost shrimp are very cheap and pretty easy to keep as well. You could get prettier shrimp, like cherry shrimp, though they're a bit more expensive and your betta may snack on them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice