180w diaphragm pump

1. Chefrob1027 Member Member

Alright so I just got a new pump rated at 180 watts putting out 150L/min. I set it up to my central air system, pipe in a loop, to 10 tanks and 20 outlets. It was on about an hour and when I checked on it it was really hot to the touch. Just looking for an idea of what this could be or why anyway. I've read that others do run hot in this size range but I don't want to destroy it before I get any use of of it so any thoughts would be appreciated. It's a no name "ac-012"

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is it in an area where it gets plenty of air flow for the heat to be able to dissipate? That sounds funny to be saying about an air pump, but it stands to reason that it will get hot due to the amount of movement inside.

3. Chefrob1027 Member Member

It's in the wash room under the fan vent. I just ran out all night and it's fine so I guess what I've read is accurate. I've just never used one before. My last couple were linear

4. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

You can get an idea of how hot any electrical gadget will run by looking at its size and power use rating, as well as whether or not it uses any sort of forced cooling.

Items that are small, yet consume a lot of power, and do not have forced air cooling, will run hot because all of that electric power must be dissipated as heat.

The smaller an item is, the lower its surface area, so the harder it is for it to transfer that heat to the surrounding air.

I got a fairly powerful air pump a few years ago, and was amazed at how hot it runs. Too hot to touch, actually!

But that seems normal from what I've read.

My main issue with it is the incredible amount of noise it makes! But that's off topic.

If your pump is fairly small, and does not incorporate some kind of cooling fan, and consumes 180 Watts, it will get pretty hot.

You should make sure it is located where it will get ample air circulation. I've been known to rig up a small fan to blow air over things like this to keep them cooler since high temperatures are usually harder on such equipment.

5. Chefrob1027 Member Member

Yes thank you, I've come to realize this is probably exactly what I'm dealing with and have placed it in my each room with roof vent fan.