180G progress

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, what a day!
Ray and Ngarie were first to arrive, followed closely by Lorenzo & Ashley. Spizz rocked up after much convincing, followed by Craig & V. Shake turned up after all the bloody heavy lifting was done! lol
We started off cleaning out the tank, scraping silicone off the back glass (thanks Lorenzo, Ngree(sp?), Spizz and, the man with the tools (V)!

After we cleaned out the tank, the CADE stand went onto the cabinet, looking pretty sweet. The lights followed, and were very closely followed by a trip to Bunnings for some brackets and bolts and Amazing Amazon for some 6x2 poly foam... . The lights didn't sit flat, so we had to improvise...

While Shake and I were at Bunnings, my hubby cranked up the bbq. Of course Shake and I pulled in the driveway to find them all lounging around in chairs outside drinking the booze.... So what else was there to do but crack the whip?
Back into it and we got the tank in situ and the lights hooked up. Decided all the boys needed a break from all their hard work and broke for lunch.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lunch was followed by the hard stuff - the hardscape! Apparently I am a hard woman to please, as it took about 45 minutes to get it right. And Shake pinched other bits of driftwood from almost every other darned tank in the house! Evidently I am not the ONLY one that's hard to please...
The hardscape finally came together, so we moved onto the substrates. Shake wasn't happy with my decision to use all sand, so I bowed to the master and let him use half of my black gravel as well as the sand. I was skeptical, but you'll see why he went that way!

Plants got laid out, and trimming of many anubias nana plants was undertaken by me and Ngarie, followed by Shake supergluing to rocks! Ingenious trick that I wish I'd found out earlier...

Scaping the plants was next - everyone stood back and watched Shake do his thang! Amazing to watch, everything seemed deliberate (except the 'ah, don't like that one' - (tosses the plant behind him). Feel free to ask Shake his reasoning on beer as a plant fertiliser...

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As he was scaping, Spizz and Ray moved the filters into the cabinet and started measuring and cutting tubing to size. The lighting was also positioned "properly", according to the new industry standards...

Who's a pretty boy?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The long, slow fill began, and Shake sent V & Craig on another trip to Bunnings to collect some riverstones to tie the scape together.

So what do you all think?

I will update this thread again in the next couple of weeks as the plants settle in and the loaches are introduced to their new home!

djbrist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HOT! what fun... good to 'see' you smiling. I will definitely be checking to watch it fill in.

Love the combo substrate, IMO you all nailed it...

Dave

p.s. Isn't there too much Beam left in that bottle?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HOT! what fun... good to 'see' you smiling. I will definitely be checking to watch it fill in.

Love the combo substrate, IMO you all nailed it...

Dave

p.s. Isn't there too much Beam left in that bottle?
Thanks Dave! And as for the Jimmy... not my choice of poison, hence still full!

I'll be on the lookout over the coming months for more clown loach rescues, to try and build up my community again. For now, the 5 remaining will stay in the spare 3ft with the bristlenoses to give the plants a half decent chance at taking proper root. I am not fond of replanting after the loaches have been "playing"...

10 Harlequin Rasboras discovered their new home last night, and are currently the only inhabitants. I will move the 4 SAEs (2 survivors from the disaster) and 2 gold gouramis across tonight when I get home.

30 Cardinal tetras will make their way into the tank (donated by a forum member) over the coming weeks, when he manages to drop them off to me.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I picked up 9 congos on the way home (via LFS, it wasnt out of my way - much ) and they are checkin out their new digs...
30 more harlies will call this tank home by Saturday, and 11 clowns to be added Sat 26th. Yay!

A few quick snaps from last night...

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Added 30+ harlequin rasboras, 2 cory adolphi, 1 cory green/gold laser, 4 dwarf chain loaches, 10 TINY ottos and 1 SAE today.

Quite a large addition in one hit, so I will be watching my parameters closely over the next week to ensure no mini cycle.

I lost the rest of my loaches in the 3ft temp tank last night and this morning. Still picking up 6 new kids tomorrow, so I will put them in quarantine for a couple of weeks and hopefully add them to the "loach tank".

Due for a trim tomorrow, so will take some pics afterwards.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Bubbly

You've done an amazing job and the tank is just fantastic!

So sorry to read about your losses. I know what a great fish Mom you are and how difficult this can be.

Looking forward to more updates!

Thanks for taking us through this with you.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fantastic job on the cabinet & the new scape Bubbly. I love the way you have the substrate divided & the plants mostly to one side in a big group. The larger pebbles give great contrast on the black substrate & give a bit more natural look to.

Top job, you should be very proud.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Bubbly

You've done an amazing job and the tank is just fantastic!

So sorry to read about your losses. I know what a great fish Mom you are and how difficult this can be.

Looking forward to more updates!

Thanks for taking us through this with you.

Ken
Thanks for your kind words Ken.
The losses were incredibly difficult. In fact, I haven't picked up the new loaches yet, and I'm still not sure I can just yet. I think I need to give it some more time. Such a hard thing to go through - people think losing a beloved betta is hard, times that by 70 and you have what I went through.

Fantastic job on the cabinet & the new scape Bubbly. I love the way you have the substrate divided & the plants mostly to one side in a big group. The larger pebbles give great contrast on the black substrate & give a bit more natural look to.

Top job, you should be very proud.
Graeme, I WISH I could take all the credit, but unfortunately one of the other guys did most of the scaping. He's a genius!! Yesterday I added some 1-2mm black pebbles to 'blend' the other stones a bit more, and take some focus off the blue ones.

I didn't get to trim tonight, as I ended up having to cook with chilli and I doubt my fish would have appreciated it as much as we did! lol

Trim & fresh pics up this week - including an aponogeton & anubias flowering!

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WOW!!! I haven't seen this thread for ages as I've not been on fishlore for a while but WOW!! You've certainly made some huge improvements from when you first got this tank and it looks amazing. Can't wait to see pics when it's fully stocked. Nice work

Everythingzen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! It's looking stunning!
I'm so sorry things didn't go smoothly for you though. I hope you can feel a little better about the losses soon. In time, this will be a new tank filled with many new fishes and still many old. You're a great fish keeper.

Xx

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awesome job!
How lucky you are to have such great guys to help you.

I'm really sorry for the devestating loss but glad to see things are looking up.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
WOW!!! I haven't seen this thread for ages as I've not been on fishlore for a while but WOW!! You've certainly made some huge improvements from when you first got this tank and it looks amazing. Can't wait to see pics when it's fully stocked. Nice work
Wow! It's looking stunning!
I'm so sorry things didn't go smoothly for you though. I hope you can feel a little better about the losses soon. In time, this will be a new tank filled with many new fishes and still many old. You're a great fish keeper.

Xx
Awesome job!
How lucky you are to have such great guys to help you.

I'm really sorry for the devestating loss but glad to see things are looking up.

Thanks for the kind words!
Unfortunately I haven't been able to take some pictures yet, as I have been very ill for the last couple of weeks. I'm finally starting to feel like my old self again, but the tank maintenance yesterday took too much out of me. I have an operation scheduled for next week, so I don't know how much time I will have to take any decent photos & give the tank a trim.

I will take some fresh pics again soon, I promise!

Lucy - the support from the local fishkeeping community was amazing. Everyone turned up for nothing more than a promise of sausages and beer, and all came with extra bits and pieces they thought we may be able to use. The lotus and aponogenton are both donations, and the scape wouldn't have been the same without them!

Since my last post, the stock list has been added to and is currently as follows:

10x ottos (cute little buggers, can't believe I never had them before now!)
5x SAE
4x sidthimunki/dwarf chain loaches
~30x harlequin rasboras
9x congo tetras
4x gouramis (now bubblenesting! )
3x corydoras (2x c. adolphi, 1x green laser)
5x clown loaches

I want to increase the loaches a bit (clowns to 10-12, sids to 10), and also add 6x yoyo loaches if I can find some.
This may mean dropping the school of harlies back to about 10, and putting 20 in one of my other tanks.

Stay tuned folks!

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh congrats! Your stocking seems great!

And Congrats on the Gourami's spawning too! What kind?

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh congrats! Your stocking seems great!

And Congrats on the Gourami's spawning too! What kind?
Thanks Konstargirl! The gouramis are 2x blues (M&F) and 2x golds (2xM). I'm not sure who built the nest. No spawn that I am aware of yet, but it will be virtually impossible to raise them or capture the eggs in that tank. I'll just have to make do with the nests.

Since my last post, the stock list has been added to and is currently as follows:

10x ottos (cute little buggers, can't believe I never had them before now!)
5x SAE
4x sidthimunki/dwarf chain loaches
~30x harlequin rasboras
9x congo tetras
4x gouramis (now bubblenesting! )
3x corydoras (2x c. adolphi, 1x green laser)
5x clown loaches
I was an incredibly bad girl today.
Came home from the LFS with the following:

10x 5cm kuhlis
8x 5cm sids
6x 4cm yoyo/pakistani
5x 7cm clowns
3x 5cm cory "gold laser"
and....

1x 20cm+ clown loach!!!

She is MAGNIFICENT!! She was one of 2 giant clowns the LFS brought back from a trade show, and her buddy got sold a few weeks ago. She's been sitting in a tank with gibbicep fry all on her own, and I couldn't resist. She looked at me with her sad eyes and I fell in love.

I'm going to let everyone settle in for a few days, and then try and coax them out for some photos. hoto:
SOOOOO happy! Even hubby is pretty enamoured with this beauty.
Enough so that he looked past me buying her when funds are tight!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well overdue for an update, sorry for the delay!

Some may be aware that for the last 10 weeks I have been seriously ill, with a 6 day stint in hospital and a further 2 visits post-discharge. Something went wrong with my kidneys, but the doctors still aren't sure what. I'm pretty much back to normal these days, but my body took a battering in a very short period of time so the recovery has been long and tedious.

I have made a few changes to the tank by way of hardware and stock.
I've purchased new lights to swap with the existing 8x39W T5s, to a combo unit with 4x54W T5s, 2x150W Metal Halides and 2xLED moonlights. This unit will be put up over the tank tonight. I have to play with the lighting period a bit to get used to the increased intensity.

I had to add 2 3000W wavemakers to the tank, as there was not enough water flow through the dense plants and detrius was settling on everything. It then blocked the plants' ability to photosynthesis and I ended up with a brown mess instead of my beautiful green tank. Increased water flow, a bleach dip for almost all the anubias, and a good scrub of everything else and we are now back on track.

The stock list is now as follows:

10x kuhlis (I think, hardly ever see more than 4 at a time!)
11x sids
5x yoyo/pakistani loaches
11x clown loaches
6x corys, aldolpois and "gold laser"
10x ottos
3x SAEs
8x congo tetras
6x blue diamond discus (juvies, about 2.5")

I'm thinking about moving the congos to another tank and adding a large school of cardinal tetras in there. I'm concerned the congos will outcompete my baby discus for food.

And the giant clown loach added in my last update? Well, I told hubby that he could name her, to try and increase his attachment a little bit. She is now called..... "Big Fish". Men.

I have a bit of tinkering to do in the tank during this week, but I will take some up to date photos on the weekend and upload them. They are LONG overdue! :whistling:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom