180G progress

Discussion in 'bubblynutter' started by bubblynutter, Mar 27, 2010.

1. bubblynutter

bubblynutter Well Known Member Member

ok, so many of you would know I'm in a bit of trouble over this tank. But things are settling down and he is even startingto ask questions since I taped out the footprint in the chosen location! The funniest question so far has been "that's a huge tank - how are you going to do water changes?!" :;laughing
    my boy is learning!

So the set up is halfway paid for. I have paid 325 out of 650, and have another 150 ready to go. My mate's brother (who i'm getting the tank from) has said he'll give the canister filter to my mate at easter, so i can hook it up and get it seeded. How freakin awesome is that?!

I have to figure out what i'm going to do for substrate, as all my money is going to the tank at the moment...

Anyway, will update you all when I find out more! How exciting!

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lol!!
    with your magic wand! how else would you change water in such a large tank?

soo... what you putting in it???

3. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Stocking list to date:

I have 8 clown loaches, which will move from the 46G to the 180G. They will LOVE the space, they already zoom around the 46 at full speed. Crazy CLOWNS :)giggle: yeah I know, I'm funny!)

So, to keep the clowns company, I am thinking:

15-30 Tetras (Cardinals & Glowlights, unsure of quantity and amounts yet)
    4-6 Angels
    6 Ottos

The above is a work in progress, I have no idea what the final list will be!
    I'm also debating moving the entire contents of my 23G and 46G into the 180G, and starting the other two tanks from scratch (in terms of stocking).
    I was thinking maybe a pair of discus in the 46G and a 'nano' tank in the 23G full of tetras, rasboras, bristlenose cats (sell for profit when grown) and I don't know what else.

As you can see, 180G brings with it WAAAAY too many choices in terms of stocking! ;)

4. steed1172

yup yup! thats so cool! i love clowns... just never thought i had the space for them, nor do i have space for a larger tank lol..

i love your stocking ideas, best of luck-and inspiration! don't forget to keep us posted.

5. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

New ramblings...
    I'm using this blog to keep track of my ideas, as well as to gain feedback from other members!

I have been keeping a list of things I may possibly need for my tank in an excel spreadsheet. It is starting to look ENORMOUS!
    Who would have thought you would need so much extra with a "complete setup"??

List (and indicative AU prices)
    Still to pay off tank - $325
    100kg black gravel (10 bags) @ 29.95 each - $299.95
    6 outlet Power board - $15.00
    Electric timer for lights - $8.95
    Air pump - $20-$30
    Additional 200w heater (on top of current 2x300w) - $17.50
    Slate rocks for aquascaping & angel spawning sites
    Bubble wrap for bottom of tank, preventing cracks & abrasions from rock

Fish
    Cardinal tetras (15) - $91
    Glowlight tetras (15) - $37.50
    Anglefish (marbles, black, zebra) - $31.80

Running total - $851.70 :eek:

May need:
    Wood to put under stand to distribute weight of legs
    Additional Aquis 1200 canister filter - $160
    Additional chemicals/treatments

I am fast realising that even if I get this tank DELIVERED mid-april, it probably wont be RUNNING for quite a bit longer! My employment status is still iffy, and I don't have any interviews on the go at the moment. Plus there's been 3 weeks straight that I have worked only 4 days (thanks, Easter!) and don't get paid for public holidays as I am working as a contractor.

Anyone else feeling a sense of hopelessness? :;jaws
    What was that I read about fishkeeping teaching us all the virtue of patience...?

6. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Update on the tank:

Completely paid off - yay!
    Yesterday purchased 120kg of midnight black gravel (2mm) from a new LFS I found (an hour away, but it was worth it in price difference)
    Picked up 10 glow light tetras, for $1.50 each instead of the $2.50-$3.50 everywhere else!
    Also got a new mate for my 3 spot. After some arguments it seems I may have made a good choice for the 'arranged marriage', as they are swimming around side by side this morning. :)

Also picked up the new power board and light timer, so all that is left is the tank!
    Which is getting delivered.... dum dum dummmmmm.... April 24! :party0001:

7. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Wow...this tank is going to look amazing when you have it all set up. Post pictues!

8. Jeffcameron

Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

Yes it's going to look awesome! I'm so jealous.

9. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

lol, can you be jealous of yourself?? I am envious of ME because I'm getting it! :;rl

10. Jeffcameron

Jeffcameron Valued Member Member

As stupid as that sounds I know exactly what you mean lol!! I felt like that before I'd picked up my 85G.

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Congrats Bubbly!
    :;hi2
    Glad to hear that everything is moving right along. I'll be looking forward to your updates.
    Ken

12. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

Not much more to add, except I am getting it in 3 days!

The 8 clowns will be DEFINITELY moving, along with the 2 three spot gouramis. I don't know which of those two species have been picking on Shadow, but at least I will be able to separate them all. So the stocking looks like this:

8 clown loaches
    2 three spot gouramis
    10 glowlight tetras
    20 cardinal tetras
    4-6 angels (Gandalf from the 23G being one of them)

Any thoughts on the above?

Anyone care to speculate on whether 180G is big enough to house Shadow AND Gandalf without Gandalf spotting Shadow? 46G was NOT big enough for them both...

13. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

OK, well the tank arrived today!

It is filled, with gravel and a couple of plants. More will go in on Monday when I do the weekly water changes on the other two tanks and take cuttings.

The water is VERY cloudy; I got impatient with the gravel rinsing... :whistling:

It did come with two annoying backgrounds that are silconed in, which won't be removed. I will just aim to obscure them with plants. Also the lights are in a crappy home-made hood, and the wiring in one of the ballasts is shoddy with both light tubes not working. That will be fixed and a new hood built on Tuesday, by the brother of the guy I bought the tank off.

The water is sitting at 22 deg C, so hopefully that will heat up over tomorrow. I have seeded with some media from the 46G, and added flakes of food and a few algae discs to break down until I can get fish in there.
    I also added Stability.

Photos have been taken, but I am exhausted and have to be up in 5 hours for the Dawn Service for ANZAC Day. (I am in the military.) I will upload progress pics for you all on Monday morning (US Sunday). Very exciting stuff!!!

14. steed1172

congratulations!!!!! cloudy water isn't anything to worry about :;smackhehe...
    US sunday! woot! i only gotta wait till sunday for pics! you gotta wait a whole other day!! ahaha... ahh.... thats not how time zones work is it :(?

(i don't think i've seen any 180G tanks :eek:.... unless one of those ones at LFS was and i didn't know it :D)

15. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

So I have everything set up, and I transferred Gandalf (marble angel), male and female 3 spot gouramis and the 8 clowns to their new home last night.

I tested the water before putting them in, and found 0,0,5. I don't think this means it cycled in 24hrs, but I am confident that the bacteria will establish quickly with the seeded material and Stability. I will test every day for the next week to make sure.

Pics:
    1. Rather large tank positioned in its new home
    2. Backgrounds that came siliconed in place :(
    3. Right end view
    4. Left end view
    5. Filled with gravel, rocks and driftwood
    6. Filling her up with water!
    7. Still filling up...
    8. Filled, partially planted and fish in
    9. Gandalf and an already uprooted java fern
    10. M & F 3 spot gouramis
    11. Gandalf and a few loaches checking things out
    12. If you look closely at the driftwood you can see the loaches
    13. Full length view
    14. Right end (still cloudy)
    15. Left end and loaches exploring

As you can see, I have a bit of a ways to go with the aquascaping, and getting some plants to grow out. The water is still a little cloudy, but that will clear up over the next 24-48 hours. And the lighting hood will be remade over the next 2 days, as it's horrid!

What do you all think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  16. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Wow, that is one massive tank! Looks great. I just caught on to this, so you may have already answered this, what are you planning on keeping in it?

17. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

The main feature of the tank are the clown loaches. I have 8 of them.

Everyone else will have to be able to get along with them.
    Gandalf and the 2 three spot gouramis will stay in there for now, until I can decide on how to rearrange the 23G and 46G.

18. T

Tanman19az Valued Member Member

lookin good! That tank is massive!

19. R

Rhan Well Known Member Member

Wow, that looks fanastic! I'd love a tank that size :)

What are the dimensions of it? It looks great, not too shallow or wide, just nice :)

20. OP
    OP
    bubblynutter

It's a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft. Thanks for the compliments, but it is definitely still a work in progress!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice