180 gallon tank thread. Im working on it...

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try this:
I've heard good things about it, I'm lucky enough to know a guy up the street that will make holes and my overflow systems quiet for me for $50 bucks a tank. For that price I will be lazy.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the great comments and thanks for the link
mktany. I was thinking that adding a hole on the outside elbow might work but now I wonder if I should take the time out to make a special over flow. The problem is the over flow is in the tank coming thro a hole drilled on the side not the bottom.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I drilled some holes right next to the water line and plan to silicon seal the top holes.. in addition I drilled a small air hole on the back/outside elbow of the overflow. the noise was greatly reduced but then water was being pumped back into the tank to fast. Then I simply adjusted the return by messing with the valve and lowering the flow. Now it is operating at a lower flow rate but noise free!! I am so happy about that. Thanks for your help!

Larry

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's great news. I'm glad you got it sorted and look forward to seeing pics when it's got some stock in it. How are you going to cycle the tank? Do you have access to some seeded filter media from anywhere you can chuck in your sump? I doubt you'll be able to use media from your 12 gallon as you wont get enough from there.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your right Jeff. My filter media from the 12 gal will not be enough. But i am combining that with some peices of raw fish, some flake food, and filter media. I also put a floating plant in the tank so I hope that helps some how. I heard that dozing ammonia could help too. There should be some fish in there within a week or two.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I also have a 180 gallon tank. On your next trip to town, don't forget to purchase a snorkel and mask for when you clean it :) :) :) Also, make sure you have fresh batteries in a camera so you can send us some pics with mask and snorkel on. Congratulations...... And dive right in when finished. :)

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha. Will do Kathy. It would make for a great bath tub. Can't wait to get the arowana in it. That will be my last step. I am now working on refurbishing an old canopy.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hehe the tank looks great. ^^ Is the Arowana is gonig to be your only fish??

Oh and are you done cycling it too?

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am almost done cycling. I added some tiger barbs to assist the second week of my cycling. will post another pic or two soon. When I am done I will have one arowana, some angel fish or some discuss, and a sting-ray. I may also add a pleco or synodontis as a cleanup crew. Good look with your cycle konstar.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Added a couple of things, the driftwood has settled, and some tiger barbs are now swimming around happily. Eventually I plan to take them out when the arowana is added. Parameters seem to be ok. I will post some pictures of the canopy when I start working on it. Once that is added and the light is installed I will put in the arowana. The stingray may be added sooner though.

Attachments

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey Larry, your tank is coming along great. It's looking fantastic. I'm not convinced on your choice of stock though. I don't think discus or angels will go well with an arowana as neither are very fast swimmers nor grow anywhere big enough to not be food for the arowana. I know you've said you just want something to go with the arowana while it's small and then you'll rehome them but a faster swimming fish thats not as vulnerable would be my choice.

Obviously it's just my opinion and what you decide is up to you. Just haven't seen anyone question your choice yet and I think there may be better options

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been doing my research and I had the same questions as you. On monsterfishforrum everybody agreed that discus or angelfish will not be harmed by the arowana due to the odd shape of their body. They are boney and not easily swallowed. They also appear to be larger then they are when viewed from the side. I may still skip the discuss because it would be quite expensive to keep a school of them and water changes woul have to be often. Thanks for your input though

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
swervo513 said:
I've been doing my research and I had the same questions as you. On monsterfishforrum everybody agreed that discus or angelfish will not be harmed by the arowana due to the odd shape of their body. They are boney and not easily swallowed. They also appear to be larger then they are when viewed from the side. I may still skip the discuss because it would be quite expensive to keep a school of them and water changes woul have to be often. Thanks for your input though
Wow, interesting. Yeah water changes on a 180G are pretty time consuming!
Well I can't wait to see pics once you're fully stocked. It's quite an unsual mix but I think it'll look great. Good luck with it all. Keep us posted.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your interest I'll keep you posted.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
got some new pics ... the stock list has changed slightly and is probably going to stay the way it is for a while. all the fish are juveniles and i plan to grow them out until they are too big for the tank.
i have:
1 5" silver arowana
1 4" tiger shovel nose
1 cuckoo synodontis
1 3" albino common pleco
1 teacup stingray
3 tiger barbs (going to be replaced with tinfoil barbs)
2 angel fish
2 2.5" geophagus surinamensis
3 2" clown loach

and that is what i have
Enjoy the pics (sorry for the bad quality)
I appreciate comments

Attachments

korrupted555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thats an awesome tank! im pretty jealous right now...i wouldnt even know where to start on a 180gal tank haha thats enormous

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well i hope this thread can help you understand what goes into it. i went through a few difficulties but eventually succeeded. I think some of the problems I wrote about describe general difficulties of larger tanks.

korrupted555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oh yeah, i read through it and saw the different problems with the filtration system...i think ill stick to my small hob and canister filters that you dont have to assemble haha plus i dont have the room for a 180 unless it went outside.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it actually wasnt that much of a problem once I drilled the tank and shimmed it to level it off. so dont make it discourage you. It is very rewarding once it is complete

korrupted555

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i can imagine how much fun it is! i would love to have something that big to work with...but i still dont have room for it unless i built it into a wall or gave up my bed haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom