180 gallon tank thread. Im working on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I am building a 180 gallon tank starting off slowly and eventually plan to grow out an arowana. Please do not start commenting on how the fish is to big for the tank. I will deal with the issue when I get to it. For now just sit back and enjoy the progression and my photos.

I Started with a plain 180 gallon tank with iron stand. I also bought 200 pounds of CaribSea Tahiti Moon Sand The vendor threw in a glass canopy and used lights which need bulb replacement. I think I am just going to go to home depot and buy an industrial 6' fixture. I spray painted the back black by using masking tape to cover the edges.

New pics will be posted with every new addition!

Attachments

Last edited:

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking good.
Can I make one suggestion?

Are you able to put some wood under the legs of the stand to spread the load?
I have a feeling, looking at your pic, that by the time you add the water, you'll be looking at 1500lbs of water, plus the tank, substrate, plus the iron stand etc.

Those feet on the stand could possibly crack your beautiful tiled floor due to the small contact area with the floor. Just an observation

Other than, love it, love it.... I want one

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I appreciate the feedback. I never thought of that happening. Im actually pretty scared of moving it. And it is all dirt underneath the floor. But you do have a good point. If anyone can speak from experience I would be grateful. Should I put wood under the stand? How thick? What kind?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd personally put one piece of treated pine about 1/2" thick that is 6" bigger than the foot print of the stand. Only problem, that creates a 'tripping' hazard.

I say treated pine because the treatment they use can help waterproof it and prevent it from rotting when wet. (They use it in timber fences and fence posts)

My theory behind the suggestion:

1500lbs divide by 6 = 250lbs per foot of the stand. If each foot is 1 square inch, that's 250psi of pressure on each foot, and thus a lot of pressure on one little bit of a tile.

Using the wood will dissipate the pressure on the tiles over a greater area. (The pressure on the piece of wood would stay the same though)

Think of it like a person in stilletto heels putting all their weight on the heel vs using the ball of their foot. Same amount of weight, but a lot less pressure than the heel would be.

Last edited:

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plus 1 for speading the weight. I personally would go with 2 metal strips and run one the full length under the front and one under the back legs.
Or 3 strips running the length from front to back. Depending on my floor joists.

That's a lot of weight you have there. May want to put it closer to the wall especially if it's a load bearing wall. A corner would even be better. You want to try to spead the weight over as many floor joists as possible and closes the joists supports as possible also.

Good looking tank. Keep us updated.

Deederville

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kudos to you for wanting to take care of a tank of that size!!! Although I wounldn't have a problem with it either, but I can only imagine the time it will take to do a single water change. I can't wait to see pictures of the fish you plan to put in there. Congrats on that nice tank man!!

Nikki

kuopan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wow.. awesome tank!! i can't wait to see the tank running and the arrowana. I personally have an arrowana in my 125 gallon. it'll probably outgrow it. but i guess it's better than people growing them in 20gallon tanks.

what type of arrowana are you planning on buying? also, does the substrate you plan on using caribsea compatible with freshwater fish like the arrowana?

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice start. You can keep an aro in it for at least 2 or 3 years before you will need to upgrade. If there is dirt under the tile,make sure you get the tank level before filling it. I would check to make sure it is level over time too. If it settles,and the weight is not evenly distributed,you could have big problems.

OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for all the great comments.
I plan on getting a silver or black arowana.
The sand is ok for freshwater. I will cycle the tank for a long time before I add anything.
I also plan on adding a wood base to spread out the weight. Pics will come as progress occurs.

Nutter what kind of big problems?

Last edited:
OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Advice on iron stand for 180 gal

Has anyone ever heard of an iron stand being to much pressure PSI on a tiled basement floor? Someone told me that on this forum and said that it would be alot of pressure on a single tile if there was nothing spreading out the weight.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Larry

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have to agree. You have six legs that will be holding close to a ton, by the time you add rock/decor, water, tank and stand itself, etc.
That will be 6 tiles holding it all.
I say there is a very good chance of scratching the tile.

If the stand was a wooden on that spead the weight over several tile, than it would be a different story.

Thanks you for your posts. What kind of metal did you use? what peices? 1/2 thick wood is enough?
I would use any kind of metal strip 1-2 inch wide by .25 thick should do, with felt underneath.

I really comes down to whats underneath your tile. If it's concrete. Than a good furniture pad will work. Since the concrete will handle the pressure just fine.

If it's wood floor joist then you need wood/metal strip and run them across the joists and not parallel. So you will want strips running front to back or side to side, depending on your joist supports.

Merged posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I can't really say if your tank/stand will crack your floor tile or not but I can say my stand for my 265g is wooden and the weight of the tank is distributed evenly. My floor is tile on a cement slab with no issues. The entire stand is the base and it doesn't have legs.

I think you have a real concern here. You may want to check with a contractor.

Ken

Hello. I have merged two of your threads since you were getting suggestions on your iron stand in both places. I think it will be a lot less confusing to other members, keeping it all in one place.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited:
OP
swervo513

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks. I will let you know what I decide to do to support it. If I had known I would have gotten the wooden stand for it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking good Swerve. Whether or not your tiles will crack will depend on what's underneath them & more importantly, how well they were laid. Most tiles are laid over concrete so that shouldn't be a problem. There can be issues if the person who laid the tiles didn't fill behind them evenly though leaving air pockets under the tiles. There's not really any way to tell if there are air pockets or not so there is some risk involved. i would err on the side of safety & put either wood or metal supports right across the front & back legs of the tank to spread the weight out over it's entire length or put large steel plates under each leg. I personally use a 2" thick solid oak door that I got at a garage sale underneath the legs of my 180gal on a timber floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom