180 gallon stocking options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sawchynegger, Jul 21, 2015.

1. sawchynegger

sawchynegger Valued Member Member

I'm currently stocking my 180 gallon mostly new world cichlid tank. Right now I have the following fish (all juveniles except the CAE): 3 green texas cichlids, 2 jacks, 1 tiger oscar, and 1 chinese algae eater (about 5 or 6 inches now). Everyone gets along great. Had a flowerhorn in there as well but he almost killed the oscar within 5 mins of adding him so the flowerhorn is now in his own 60 gallon tank and the oscar is looking great. I'd like to add a couple more different and interesting fish. I'm considering a royal pleco and then euther a birchir or 2 rope fish. Thoughts and/ or compatibility concerns? The CAE may be rehoused at some point but he is tough as nails and the others don't mess with him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I think a royal would be fine.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd probably rehome the CAE, as they get older they get territorial and aggressive. They've also been known to eat the slime coat off other fish, leaving them more prone to infections etc. That's a risk I personally would not be willing to take. Plus, they dont even eat algae when they get older! lol

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Bichirs are awesome. That's what I'd get. They prefer sand though. But can be kept on gravel if that's what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Hello. I hope the royal will work. 1 of my LFS's just got some in. Not cheap for those guys though. $49.99 :/ Regarding the CAE, he's prob about a year old now. He was very aggressive with my red tail shark in my 55. That's why he got moved to the 180 with the cichlids. He's been fine..so far.... and I've never seen him go after the slime coat (although I've seen some videos of other CAE's doing this so I am watching out for that behavior) I guess I'm more concerned with him (the CAE) becoming a meal for the oscar or potential birchir down the road. These guys def get a bad rap but they are super active and fun to watch in the tank. I actually tried to put him in with the flowerhorn last weekend cause the flowerhorn never bothered him while in the 180 but that lasted about an hour and Mr. CAE got moved back to the 180. My flowerhorn is brutal!!

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Haha yea flowerhorns are very aggressive and belong in a solo tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

BD-ya I've got pool sand in there so I think it would work. Dom- I really wanna find something that'll work with him but it might be hopeless

8. p

peacelizard Valued Member Member

9. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I would look at a severum for a possibility. You could also add firemouth's to the equation if you have enough caves to avoid the aggression from the other tanks.

Depending on how the sex of the texas cichlids pan out, you might have to eventually separate the pair from the tank. Once they start breeding, they will beat up everyone else in the tank.

Unfortunately the FH will kill everything that you put with him in the tank. I had a FH and he would kill plecos all the time.

10. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

I hadn't considered severums. I'll have to do a little research. I kind of messed up with the texas cichlids. Prob should have stuck with 1 or 2 only. Got them when they were VERY young from my LFS. The deal was 3 for $10 and I figured what the haha! I thought about firemouths but I think if I add another cichlid it will probably be a green terror. Just haven't found any yet. They seem to be hard to come by around me. LFS had red terrors but that def won't work. To bad too cause reds are amazing just way to aggressive. And yes, I think El Chapo (my flowerhorn) is gonna be flying solo. He violantly tries to attack his own reflection so another fish would be toast.

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'd watch it if you add more cichlids to what you have. Or re-home some then add different ones. The 3 Texas will give you issues when fully grown. JD's are easy to sex. Do you know if you have males or females? Or one of each?

12. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I agree, you will be able to rehome the texas most likely. Green terrors are cool, I belive if you rehome some of the texas cichlids you still have some more space. What is your layout like in the tank? Caves? Lots of Driftwood?

13. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

I believe I have one male and one female jack. Not sure on the texas cichlids yet. Wish I had friends into the hobby. I hate donating fish back to the LFS after raising them. Never know where they will end up. Always a good excuse to set up another tank! I have a very large piece oh Malaysian driftwood that actually breaks the surface of the water. Also some other Malaysian, rocks to create visual barriers and now a cave. I recently added 2 terracotta pots as well. I'm not big on the look of the pots but it's an easy way to create more hiding spots. I'm always adjusting things and the I plan to add more wood and/ or rocks and maybe remove the pots at some point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice