180 Gallon Journal 180 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wraithen, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm starting this just to keep track. I've got some minor changes planned for this tank. I want to stack my dragon stone to give some better illusion of depth, and the swords are about to go away. I'm tired of dealing with all the spikes they want to produce as they sacrifice themselves, and my crypts are as big as my swords anyway. And who wouldn't prefer crypts?

The tank is a 180 gallon aquaria masters with tap water.
    Co2 via carbondoser and the biggest nilocg reactor I could find being run off of a forza fz-13. Additional filtration is done with a fluval fx-4 and an ac 110. I run purigen always, and phosphiltrum sometimes after water changes depending on diatoms. Lighting is 3 fluval 3.0 36" models and an edge 360 36".
    Fertilizers are nilocg dry ei kit with csm+b and iron dosed via custom dosing spoons.
    Substrate is an inch and a half of dirt, capped with an inch of nat geo black sand, with fluval stratum 0 to 5 inches.

I am not a fluval fanboy, I just had access to these products and enjoy them.

Stock is:
    10 red rainbows
    10 Australian rainbows
    12 black kuhli loaches
    1 African butterfly fish
    3 African butterfly cichlids
    5 remaining bloodfin tetras
    13 or so otocinclus
    20 amano shrimp
    5 nerite snails
    4 assassin snails
    A dwindling population of bladder snails

Plants are bronze crypts, jungle val, Amazon swords (soon to be rehomed), crypt lutea, giant hairgrass, s. Repens, alternanthera reneckii, a tiger lotus that built itself off of the mother bulb, anubias coffeefolia, red root floaters, a pink flamingo crypt baby, hygrophila pinnatifida, a new crinum calamistratum, and 2 new bucephalandra kedagang Japan.

The pic doesn't show the new plants as they've arrived in the past few days and the pic is older. 20190617_141750.

2. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +496
    Experience:
    Just started
    Looking good! I have an ABF also!

3. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Experience:
    1 year
    Looking great

4. OP
    OP
    Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    I just realized something. The green tint of my water is gone now that I got the new mag float with scraper. That thing is amazing for gsa, especially in corners!

You cant really see them, but I've got 4 or 5 large dragon stone rocks on the left. I was thinking of piling them somehow, but cant figure out how to get them to be stable, especially if I orient all the striations together. I know I could chip away at them to make them line up better, but that would decrease the size. Anyone got tips for stacking dragon stone?

5. OP
    OP
    Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    So I finally had enough of the swords. I uprooted them to give to my lfs next chance. I really hate swords in a dirted tank. When I have to move, this tank will use a high tech substrate. Completely against dirted tanks if you have the money for a good substrate. Yeesh!

After uprooting those two monsters, I went haywire on my wisteria. That's all floating now too. I hated it constantly growing and edging out everything else. My jungle val may have to leave soon too as long as my abf is comfortable with just the red root floaters.

On the plus side, I finally planted my crinum. It's starting to brown at the base. Hopefully it is just adjusting still. The first attempt failed but I have better ferts regimen now and co2, so I'm optimistic. My red melon sword in the back is getting huge! The lfs I got it from has one in a small 15 gallon with no co2. I was hoping mine would grow slowly and be about that size. It's easily 4x bigger than that one. It's in a built up area of stratum, so if I have to move it, hopefully it's not the nasty experience I just went through with the swords.

Still haven't figured out how to stack the dragon stone. I may pick up some huge pieces next time I'm at my scape lfs if they have any so I can just use bigger pieces.

My pinnatifida is growing like gangbusters. I took the trimmings and planted them where the sword was. I think that will be their place from here on.

My cardinal lobelis is getting big. Big leaves, big stems, growing tall. I dont even really know how to trim this thing correctly and the big leaves make me think it's a mistake. It's got a fine root structure so I'm not too worried if I decide I dont like it.

While I love my ar, I think I dont want anymore of it. I had some on the left side, but I uprooted it. I think those stems are going to the fish store also. I'll just keep trimming the clump on the right and enjoy it.

I lost half of my buce. It floated off somewhere. I'm not worried though, it wont catch in my filter and is fine wherever it ended up, I'm sure it will grow wherever in this tank and I'll eventually find it.

All of this is demonstrating my collectoritis slowly dying. I like the looks of these more challenging plants and the easy fast growing plants have become a chore. I think this is the natural progression of us to go from collectoritis to a more matured collection.

My dwarf sag is growing very well in a lot of places now too. It's starting to actually carpet. Only took over a year and co2 and tons of lighting to finally get it to do something!

Here is the latest fts. I'm really appreciating my macro/wide angle combo lenses I got from Amazon. Never would have thought they'd only be 30 bucks. Never ever thought I'd use the wide angle lense! 20190624_121851.

6. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,431
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just found this !
    Nice !!! I got me a 180 also ..Yours looks great ..
    You forgot to mention you have one of my favorite fish ..
    The Denison/Roseline barbs ..Man I dig those fish .
    Following with interest.

7. OP
    OP
    Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm a huge fan of them as well. They are fun feeding with the rainbows, but after that, they go sulking and looking to clean up around the tank. I love the highlighter looking colors too. My wife was nervous when we visited a fish store kind of far away. They had some mature ones in a display tank. She didn't know how big they got and was afraid they would bully the otos lol.

8. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,431
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They are such a great peaceful ,active fish .
    Shame they only live 5-6 years IME but my tank is kind of warm for them I am sure ..
    When I get down to less then 8 I get 4-6 more ...So now I have 3 large,4 medium and 6 small ..

9. OP
    OP
    Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    I've had a similar experience except the lifespan. Mine are only 3 months old.

10. OP
    OP
    Wraithen

Ratings:
    +1,687
    Experience:
    3 years
    Good news on nitrates today. I changed water last on the 17th. I've been giving the tank more potassium, phosphates, and micros in an attempt to get growth going faster to keep nitrates lower. 10 days in and nitrates are only at 30. I've been dosing 1.5 times normal, twice a week. There is no new deficiency in plants, and algae is having a tougher time growing on my glass. I forgot to use my phosphiltrum last water change, so diatoms are coming back, but I'll leave it for now to see how the tank progresses. Hopefully I can eventually get back to monthly water changes without adverse effects. I've also started a bio bucket experiment. Right now I've barely got nitrates showing, so I'll start a new thread on it soon. The goal is to figure out how many ppm ammonia a colony can max out at with a limited growth area. Currently using 1 small bag of bio sticks. Will use bio rings next. I think it will be interesting to see how much bio we actually need for a normal 3/4 cycle that 90 percent here aim for.