180 Gallon I Won

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just won a 180 gallon aquarium at a pet expo. Aqueon everything 2 different size canister filters and 3 hang on backs. Still trying to sort though everything I won. Came with tan colored pebbles/ gravel but might switch to sand
I have no idea what to stock it with! Kicking around a few rough ideas.
1. African Cichlid tank. Could I put Shellies in with other larger cichlids?
2. Really like clown loaches what else would work well with them?
3. Large community tank. Over the top sort of with large schools of tetras, danios, rasboras, and other community fish
4. Some sort of shark, or cool larger fish that's semi aggressive?

Really open to ideas!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Man I am jealous... My vote is a nice large African Cichlid tank! Though I would not put Shellies with them.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd do black ghost knife's in a flash... with whatever could survive with them.

-G

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO clown loaches with a school of yoyos in a 'river setup' with some schools of danios, rainbowfish, hatchetfish for example that enjoy the high flow rate....

Other than that, i love bgk (ghost knife) suggestion and do a amazonic setup... can have fun with fish from there IMO.

Ropefish? African biotope like setup?

Not exactly freshwater, but mudskippers - with some mollies, or archers... brackish gobies - in a palduarium setup!

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
whoa...congrats!! do you have room for the tank? (i suppose one makes room for these things aye?)

so exciting! I'm watching this thread

so many options!

lol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My vote is planted, with large numbers of various community fish, e.g. a massive school of cardinal tetras which would look incredible. Rainbowfish, cory catfish, etc. as well. Basically option #3. But plants. Plants plants plants. I think that's the key for this type of setup, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps you could get clown loaches in that, but off the top of my head I don't know whether clown loaches are really compatible with small schooling fish like tetras or rasboras. That question should only take a quick google search or so to find out the answer to.

African cichlids would be cool too. You'd have quite a few options with that. Lake Malawi mbuna or peacocks+haps would come to mind first for most, but don't forget about Lake Tanganyika. I'm thinking Tropheus there. If you like the idea of African cichlids, but would prefer a large colony of a single species of fish or a small number of different species, I'd recommend Tropheus. They're incredibly active, look great (check out Tropheus Ikola!) and are a blast to watch. I'm biased, because I have a tank of Tropheus Ikola and others directly beside my computer desk where I am sitting while typing this, but I really think they're one of the most fun fish to sit and watch for a while. If you ask me, a Tropheus tank looks best with only one or two different varieties of Ts in large numbers, paired with a few Synodontis catfish and Eretmodus cyanostictus. The fish behaviour would probably be more natural in that setup too. If you want a large variety of different colours and shapes, though, you'd be better off with Lake Malawi cichlids.

baby0nyx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have no idea what I’d do with it lol. Just wanted to congratulate u on the win, so awesome

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:
No pictures? Lay it out man!!!
Just got it all late last night, storing it at work until I can rearrange a few pieces of furniture and put the stand together.
I'll start a build thread in a little bit just wanted a few ideas to start kicking around. So excited about it I can barley think.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats...I would look at doing nice large fish...I lean towards the SA/CA cichilds but Africans would be cool to do.

I can't imagine what my wife would say if I won something like this...she probably would be saying "Bleep...another bleeping tank, and this one is huge."

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TheWalkman said:
Just got it all late last night, storing it at work until I can rearrange a few pieces of furniture and put the stand together.
I'll start a build thread in a little bit just wanted a few ideas to start kicking around. So excited about it I can barley think.
lilabug4545 said:
I'd personally do an oscar tank, but they can't really be housed with anything else.
The idea of having an oscar is what got me into fish keeping. But I'm hesitant to use a huge tank for an oscar. Unless I can keep a couple other cool things with him.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
An Oscar ultimately rules out plants and most tankmates. I'm no expert but the 180 gallons may even be big enough for a silver arrowana. That would be cool!

There's this fish called a jaguar cichlid (age 34- the store mascot) at my lfs. It looks like an Oscar and it has tankmates so it may be a better choice than an Oscar.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom