180 Gallon I Won Build

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I won a 180 gallon tank in a raffle recently. Starting this thread to show off progress and get some ideas.
In the raffle I won a 180 gallon tank with stand and top. Two aqueon quiet flow canaster filters, I believe they're a 300 and 400. And they come with a hang on back water polisher unit. 3 36in aqueon optibtight plus lights. Two 300 watt aqueon heaters. An air pump with two air stones. And some tan pebble substrate.
Hopefully tonight I'll have the stand in my house and final location figured out. So by the end of the weekend I can get the tank in and filled with water and start running the filters.
My current plan is to put the substrate in. Then take my 5 Serpa tetras and 4 zebra danios from another and put them in the tank until I make final decisions for what I want to keep in this massive tank.
My current idea is
3 needle nose gar
A pair of jack Dempsey's
A geophagus
An eel
Hopefully a school of rainbow fish. Still researching. Really want to keep something I can keep a school of in the tanks
Still need an idea for a catfish or pleco.
Then maybe another couple cichlid still searching for ideas.
Would appreciate thoughts, ideas, and comments.
Still open to different ideas other then what I have thought of so far.
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
gorgeous gear!

Also, the Jack Dempseys will enjoy the danios meal
The danios would go back in my 20 maybe
Just want to get the in there to cycle/ keep the tank cycled I'm not sure if the beneficial bacterial has died off or not yet in the filters.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! A raffle for a 180 gallon!!! That is amazing. Congratulations!

Definitely following to see what you do with this. I am about to start building a 125, but I paid for mine lol.

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SixThreeOh said:
Geophagus should be in a group.

15 or so tiger stripe silver dollars would look nice.
What species of geophagus would you recommend? And how many in a group?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheWalkman said:
What species of geophagus would you recommend? And how many in a group?
The species may already be decided for you depending on whats available... I'd reccomend G.tapajos 'red heads'... they pretty snazzy looking! But I think any would be fine IMO. A group of 5 or so will be a good starting point.

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_1123.JPG
So excited got my tank filled, filters running, and heaters plugged in. Even though my hose water comes out at 110 degrees apparently. Added a few cheap decorations for when I had to run out for more substrate.
Hopefully get the lights and air pump running tomorrow. And mores decorations.

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG
Spent all day running to fish stores buying decore, and better media to add to the filters. So happy to have the tank up and running and going though the cycle!
Built several caves today for future fish! Will build more as I find more rocks that work.
Have several pieces of wood sitting in the bath tub soaking until they sink. I'll attach some Anubis and maybe some java fern to those.
My LFS has two 18" color changing air stones in order for me! Once those are in I'll clean up all my airtubing.
Added 10 zebra danios and 6 serpa tetras from my other to help the tank cycle. Also added a bottle of tetra safe start. They had the tank running with fish when I won the tank so I hope the tank cycles quick.
Now I just need to tidy up wires and everything under the cabinet and wait.
Once cycled going to add a school of tiger barbs. Then 4 convict cichlids. If two pair up going to put them in my 20 gallon and use fry as feeders. A jack Dempsey. Maybe a group of geos.
A group of needle nose gar are going to be the center piece. Would you guys add those before or after the cichlids?
Still researching some catfish/ pleco to add. Still might add a eel too.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A question, your right heater, is that right next to the airstone, or just an optical illusion? Just wondering if the air/water flow would pull all the heat to the surface in that side of the tank.

-G

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brannor said:
A question, your right heater, is that right next to the airstone, or just an optical illusion? Just wondering if the air/water flow would pull all the heat to the surface in that side of the tank.

-G
It's right under it. I didn't think about thanks for the heads up!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would actually help cirulate the heat better in the tank and help reduce hot spots from occuring.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would it though? Genuine question... thermodynamics dictate heat rises (duh... ). And if constantly pushed to the surface along with air bubbles, would that result in quicker loss of heat from the water? having a circulation pump or a filter outlet that pushed it downwards, then I'd agree 100%, but I'm interested in the loss of heat at the surface.

Anyway, it was just an observation. Might have no impact at all.

-G

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brannor said:
Would it though? Genuine question... thermodynamics dictate heat rises (duh... ). And if constantly pushed to the surface along with air bubbles, would that result in quicker loss of heat from the water? having a circulation pump or a filter outlet that pushed it downwards, then I'd agree 100%, but I'm interested in the loss of heat at the surface.

-G
If it was still, then yeah. Otherwise the movement of water to the surface also helps cirulate it, since water from the surface would be pulled into the lower layers in order to displace the water rising. The movement of the water is faster than heat lost, so any heat lost is maginal and would equate to heat naturally being lost without surface movement.

TheWalkman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Brannor said:

-G
Like you said it might not mater. The air stone is going to get it replaced by a air bar.
I have the heaters placed right next to the inlet for the filter mostly to keep everything tidy and more aesthetically pleasing. But also a little hope that it will help circulate the heat.
I'll keep an eye on the heat and experiment with different locations of equipment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom