180 Gal Build w/ Sump

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Finally got the stand in the house! Tank is being held at the aquarium shop, and sump is on it's way.

This is an Aquarium Masters 180gal tank build. The sump is a Trigger System Emerald 39gal. Our stocking list will include discus, eartheater cichlids, and GBRs as the main fish. We will have a few bottom dwellers as well, likely pictus cats.

Current progress - sealed bottom of the tank, wired in some lights that automatically turn on and off for when we do maintainence down there, power strips installed out of the way (thank god I have an electrician spouse!) Mat to soak up vibration from the pump, and of course me being a woman, I wanted to make it prettier so I added cute door handles

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Few changes with the lighting, switched it around a bit. Installed shallow strut for places to secure all the hard piping up high, out the way, and least visible as possible. The original light layout wouldn't allow for that.

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well it was quite nerve wracking watching the boys bring the tank in the house, but she made it in safely. 330lbs dry!

Plumbing is all purchased because we are using hard pipe for the majority. Tubing will be used to attach the pump. Also got the overflow set up for now, with the end of the tube pointing downward into the overflow column.

Tank is sitting on a pair of saw horses while we paint the back black with Flex Seal (so it can be removed if we want.) A few more coats and then the tank can go on the stand this weekend.

Should we also paint the side of the tank a few inches to hide our overflows? Or should we keep them fully visible?

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I like to be able to see into the overflow but if it is in plane sight you may want it painted ..
Looking Good!
In the living room. He wants to put a few cherry shrimp in the overflows to help with any algae. Going to keep it unpainted so we can make sure we can see them. I imagine they'll probably end up going into the tank though. I don't think they're going to stay in that area lol.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice idea with the light under the cabinet, I have a 125 that I will do that to. Cant wait to see this all set up. Keep posting

k8XP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice idea with the light under the cabinet, I have a 125 that I will do that to. Cant wait to see this all set up. Keep posting
It sure helps with doing maintenance down there. One sump light just doesn't cut it when the stand is 6' long!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom