18 year old kuhli loach! How old can a kuhli loach get? Question

1. Piivi Initiate Member

I got myself an aquarium (68 litres) in November 1996, and some of the first inhabitants moving in were 3 kuhli loaches. One of them is still alive and doing well, almost 18 years later! Since 10 years back he/she is living in an aqua terrarium that he/she shares with two Japanese fire bellied salamanders. My question is now if anyone has an idea about how old can a kuhli loach really get?!?! Searched the web in Swedish and English but only found info that they can live up to 10 years, in some cases up to 15 years.

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Wow! That is old, some kind of record?

3. Piivi Initiate Member

I'm starting to wonder if I may have worlds oldest kuhli loach ;)

I think it's a she, when younger she was quite thick and (what we think) full of eggs. Since a couple of years the eggs are gone. She has also lost the "stripes" and is nowadays all "brown".

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Congrats on the elder you have mentioned! :)

I hope you enjoy the forum.

Ken welcomewagon.gif

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, that's a great age & a credit to your fishkeeping over those years.
    So many people these days chop & change their stock all the time & never get the pleasure of seeing their fish live out their full lifespans, well done :)

6. Piivi Initiate Member

Thank you, but at the same time I must say that my fish/salamander keeping has been very basic. I've kept the aqua terrarium in what I might describe as in "natural state", meaning clean but not "overdoing it". The temperature has because of the salamanders been room temperature, from 20 degrees Celsius to max 24 Celsius in summertime which should be too low for kuhli loach? My little kuhli seems to have appreciated it's surroundings anyway but I must say that I'm a bit surprised that she's still around :)

7. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Wow that's pretty cool!!! Yeah I've only read of them getting to about 15 years old tops so 18 isn't out of the range but is pushing it. Any pictures of this big girl you speak of? Also how big is she?

8. Piivi Initiate Member

She's about 4 inches, will try to manage to take a picture and post it. She's mostly hiding. Once I didn't find her for about a week and thought that she must have died but then she showed up again :)

9. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Really great. Thanks for sharing. Years ago I emptied a tank and discovered a kuhli that was thought to be dead for years!!!! Great fish!