18+ To Buy Fish At Petsmart?

UaDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just went to my local PetSmart and they didn't let me buy fish there because I'm 14 and apparently you have to be 18. I've bought about 70 shrimp, fish, and snails at this store and only had that problem once, but the employee still let me buy the fish. I've to that store about 3 times a week for a long time now and some of the employees recognize me. I've had an employee just walk up to me and ask how my 30 gallon tank is coming along. Has anybody else ever had this problem?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That shouldn’t happen. I would recommend talking to the store manager.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope. Never happened. There was a pretty heated discussion about “age limits” to buying fosh and let’s just say that got ugly and the thread shut down.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope you don’t think I’m horrible, but I somewhat agree with it. I worked at a fish store and an unbelievable amount of “kids” would buy fish and sometimes their parents would get upset and want a return...that being said, you have an established relationship with them so obviously they know you’re a good aquarist and shouldn’t just change the rules on you

BettaFishyLuvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ITs happened to me once. Usually they just give me the fish and take the money. Actually some of them recognize me too. I do agree that it should be an age limit but eighteen does seem just a little high but I don’t really mind. All I have to do is have my mom come in with me

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've been told to have a parent, or be 18+, but of course I had a parent with me so I got them.
Were you with any parent? Other than that, I've never had this happen.

Discusluv

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Probably one too many parents coming in screaming at management about their dependents -- the law considers that to be age 1-18--- buying live animals without parental consent.
Most likely litigation, (which is usually the primary motivation to encourage a business to put in age restrictions on the sale of products) made it no longer profitable to sell fish to those under 18. You can be sure they weighed the profiit/loss impact from age limits--- that is what they do.
It is sad that young people who are knowledgeable and responsible are effected as a result-- but, profit will always trump exceptions to the rule.

UaDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been told to have a parent, or be 18+, but of course I had a parent with me so I got them.
Were you with any parent? Other than that, I've never had this happen.
No, I was by myself. The thing is my dad gets home after the store has closed and my mom is always busy. I do have an 18 year old brother, but he's also usually busy at work or something else.

I once got stopped for ghost shrimp. I could understand pretty much any other live animal (other than crickets), but ghost shrimp? Really?
Oh yeah. The first time I had trouble buying fish because of my age I said I wanted to buy ghost shrimp and I was going to also say I wanted some fish later.

UaDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll go back
I hope you don’t think I’m horrible, but I somewhat agree with it. I worked at a fish store and an unbelievable amount of “kids” would buy fish and sometimes their parents would get upset and want a return...that being said, you have an established relationship with them so obviously they know you’re a good aquarist and shouldn’t just change the rules on you
I should be fine if I avoid that one employee who I don't even see that often at the store.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So theyll give you a job if your not 18 but wont sell fish to you. Where do they get there logic from.

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thread is a little old, but fun fact: it is illegal to ask a person's age in a situation like this. The only way to correctly determine if someone is of the proper age is a statement and question along the lines of:
"You must be 18 to purchase fish. Are you old enough to buy this fish?"
Illegal:
"How old are you?"

This differs from the sale of controlled substances, and certain chemicals where ID is required.

Also, PetSmart? Ew.

BettaBeetlesandBugs

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I'm pretty impressed that they imposed that restriction. I've heard way too many stories about kids buying "nemo fish" or "dory fish" and sticking them in little jars. The journey that these fish undergo to get into a pet store is long, exhaustive, and somewhat dangerous, and they should live a long, healthy life afterwards, not to be plunked into a little bowl and suffocate from nitrates, nitrites, chlorine, ammonia, or low salinity. My local Petco has a pretty knowledgeable staff(thank goodness) and one of the employees gave me an almost perfect black copper yellow butterfly betta that he was holding onto. The fish was stunning and lived a pretty long life(his name was Tchaikovsky). It always makes me cringe when I see some kid buying some Oscar fish, red tail cat, or goldfish without knowing how big or what they'll turn into someday.

UaDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know this is an old thread, but I'm pretty impressed that they imposed that restriction. I've heard way too many stories about kids buying "nemo fish" or "dory fish" and sticking them in little jars. The journey that these fish undergo to get into a pet store is long, exhaustive, and somewhat dangerous, and they should live a long, healthy life afterwards, not to be plunked into a little bowl and suffocate from nitrates, nitrites, chlorine, ammonia, or low salinity. My local Petco has a pretty knowledgeable staff(thank goodness) and one of the employees gave me an almost perfect black copper yellow butterfly betta that he was holding onto. The fish was stunning and lived a pretty long life(his name was Tchaikovsky). It always makes me cringe when I see some kid buying some Oscar fish, red tail cat, or goldfish without knowing how big or what they'll turn into someday.
I understand that a rule like this is necessary sometimes, but there's a lot of adults out there that do those same things. It just kind of upsets me that it's an official policy that gets in my way.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the store. They require documentation that you’re 18 to purchase live animals (small animals in specific) from them.

Plecodreams

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is completely unacceptable.
What happened to the good old days where neighborhood kids would walk down to the pet store and buy the fish that looked the most pregnant?
This is shooing kids away from this wonderful hobby, how will this hobby go on without the next generation being able to enjoy fishkeeping?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i can undertand, pets aren't cheap to take care of. if kids just walked in and bought pets w/o their parents' knowledge or permission, there'd probably be a lot of upset parents trying to return these pets.

then watching some of the ridiculous youtube videos of what some teens or young 20 yr olds do with them. like buying up all the feeder goldfish and dumping them in a friend's swimming pool as a prank, etc.

yes, there are some mature and responsible teens out there, but plenty of others that aren't.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm 14 and I sometimes I get dropped off at the store to get what I need (my family stays in the car because they don't like fish as much as I do haha). I've never had a problem purchasing something before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom