18 gallon tank stocking ideas

Mblit1

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for stocking an 18 gallon fish tank the tank is not set up yet, I just wanted to get some ideas before I start the tank so I can make it according to the fishes requirements.
Tank measurements: 24 inches long, 12 inches deep, 18 inches tall,
I would really love to keep kuhli loaches in here so anything that get along with kuhli loaches would be great.
Thanks.

WRWAquarium

Group of the small schooling fish: tetras, rasboras, daninions. That would be an ideal start.

Mblit1

Group of the small schooling fish: tetras, rasboras, daninions. That would be an ideal start.
Thanks sounds great I do like black neon tetras, ember tetras and lambchop rasboras.
Do you have any ideas for a centrepiece fish?

WRWAquarium

Any of those species would be good :)

Maybe a single or pair of honey gourami as centerpiece. Think that would work in a 2 ft 18 gallon.

georgelee1000

You already have loach for bottle layer. I would get community fish like tetra, danio or rasboras and etc. and make the upper level complete.

AlphaFish

For the centerpiece fish you can try a ram. It's one of the fish I am also going to get soon, and I've heard they are peaceful. They're really colorful and they seem like very fun and active fish.
My vote goes for ember tetras. I have 8 of them atm. They are gorgeous fish. Tough they can be shy. A lot of plants help them come out.

Mblit1

Thanks all for your suggestions, would it be OK if there were kuhli loaches on the bottom, some ember tetras, and a pair of bolivian rams, or should I just stick with one ram so they don't get aggressive or overstock the tank?
Thanks again.
Thanks all for your suggestions, would it be OK if there were kuhli loaches on the bottom, some ember tetras, and a pair of bolivian rams, or should I just stick with one ram so they don't get aggressive or overstock the tank?
Thanks again.
Because I have heard that rams can get aggressive in a pair especially if they decide to breed.

AlphaFish

Thanks again.

Because I have heard that rams can get aggressive in a pair especially if they decide to
Better do a single ram.

carsonsgjs

A single male apistogramma could also work in a tank that size with embers as tank mates.

Mblit1

Ok thanks a single ram would be awesome.

killerv

For the centerpiece fish you can try a ram. It's one of the fish I am also going to get soon, and I've heard they are peaceful. They're really colorful and they seem like very fun and active fish.
My vote goes for ember tetras. I have 8 of them atm. They are gorgeous fish. Tough they can be shy. A lot of plants help them come out.
I wouldnt think embers and a ram would go together nicely.

I have a dwarf gourami with my embers and rasboras. They all get along fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
mxnewss
Replies
Views
Aquaticlife007
  • Question