18 Gallon Aquascaping Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JacksAquariums, Aug 1, 2019.

1. JacksAquariums

JacksAquariumsNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I’m a 15 year old kid from Australia. This is I think my 4th year in the aquarium hobby, and I was wanting advice on a scape I did with some rocks I had lying around. This is for my betta, 4-5 cories and about 8 harlequin Rasboras. This is also my first post. Thanks to anyone that responds.
    This is a 70 Litre PetWorx rimless (I think this is maybe like 18 to 20 gallons? Not so sure ****)

Attached Files:

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Welcome to fishlore!

I love the aquascape! The way the roots wind around the rocks is really cool. Will you be adding any plants?

(70 litres is 18.5 USG for our American friends;))

3. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +663
    Experience:
    2 years
    Oooh that's going to be absolutely lovely :) What kind of substrate are you going to be using? Any plans for specific plants?
    And Welcome to Fishlore! :)

4. treadingwater

treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +161
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Very nice set up!
    First I want to say that its ok to ask for opinions but at the end of the day, if you love it and your fish are happy then that's all that matters. You're the one that looks at it every day and it should bring YOUR heart joy.

That being said, I really like your rocks. I am a fan of rocks but one thing that I would caution you to remember is that the more solid rocks you add, the less water you have for your fish. I would half that for your stocking levels. So...40L? (10 Gallon) I don't know about stocking tanks with rasboras or cories as I have never kept them. Just keep in mind the actual water volume, not tank size.

I think you're off to a great start and make your heart happy.

5. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +249
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The standard layout rule of thumb in aquascaping seems to be the rule of thirds. Loosely translated, the primary focal point should be at one of the intersections of lines trisecting the front/back and ends. While the large rock, clearly the primary focal point, is somewhat centered, the upper tip looks to be very close to the one-third point left to right, so I think you're spot on there. The rest are support players and the only important thing is that they play well together.

My only criticism, which is admittedly very picky, is that the three smaller rocks in front look a bit like they're marching in line. If you could break up the linear arrangement of those I think it would look a bit more natural. The lean of them also directly mimics that of the center piece rock, which looks a bit forced. Maybe turn one of them to break up the pattern.

The criticism is only after looking at the photo for an extended period and specifically looking for things to improve. The initial impression is very good. I'd say 9/10. Very nice job.

Do you plan on planting the tank or just going with the rock and wood?

6. OP
    OP
    JacksAquariums

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I’ve taken it and tried to change the smaller rocks a little bit because as JayH said they do look very inline. Unfortunately nothing in the tank is glued together (rocks and wood), so maybe when I have a bit more time I’ll turn them a little to point out instead of to the rock next to it if that makes sense. As for substrate, I’m using ADA Amazonia II in the rock area, and the open area I’m using cosmetic river sand to make it like a jungle island once it’s planted. For plants, I’ll be using a lot of Anubias nana, maybe some dwarf pongol because I have plenty of that in my 30 gallon, java fern definitely, Amazon frogbit, Riccia Moss and tons of java Moss. Hopefully in the future I’ll be hooking up my first co2 kit ever to this tank, but on top of all the other costs it’ll have to wait a while. I’m using an AquaOne Clearview 400 HOB filter, but again, in the future I’m hoping to upgrade to a fluval canister filter like I have on the 30 gal.

7. OP
    OP
    JacksAquariums

Ratings:
    +6
    How’s that? I tried to change a rock a little bit. Forgot to mention hairgrass and Monte Carlo will also be in this scape between the smaller rocks with Anubias nana

Attached Files: