Question 17 Guppy Babies!

Redtail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fish lore Community.

Almost three months ago a guppy gave birth to 17 fry. I put them in two safety nets. But they havent grown as much as they should and I'm thinking of moving them to a small new tank.

Do you think it would be better?
IMG_20190816_150346.jpg
IMG_20190816_150347.jpg

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After 3 months, they may be big enough to put in with the adults. I used to breed guppies and they really only went after the new born fry. The ones that made it a couple of weeks were left alone.

Redtail

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
After 3 months, they may be big enough to put in with the adults. I used to breed guppies and they really only went after the new born fry. The ones that made it a couple of weeks were left alone.
The only thing I'm worried about is whether the synodontis will eat them. They easily fit in her mouth, and a month ago she ate a dead adult guppy.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I'm worried about is whether the synodontis will eat them. They easily fit in her mouth, and a month ago she ate a dead adult guppy.
I don't know then. I have never had one of those catfish. From what I read though they are pretty peaceful. I think yours ate the dead guppy because it was just lying there on the bottom. She may not chase down fast moving fish like small guppies. I would take the ugliest 1 or 2 and put them in and see what happens.

Either that or get a larger container for them. A 3 gallon tank might be good until they get bigger. You can get small sized tanks complete with hood and filter for $20-25 at PetSmart. They could be growing slowly because they are confined to those nets.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you seed the new tank you can put them in another tank. What are you feeding these guys and how often are you doing WCs? Most often that is pretty directly related to fry growth

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom