17 gal tank first fish!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fishguy122, Jul 18, 2015.

1. fishguy122

fishguy122 Well Known Member Member

Hi I also got some new fish today other than the shrimp. I already had 2 Gardner I killifish and today I got a male and female (or maybe 2 females) balloon tams. Here they are In the tank.

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Nice Killies!

Idk if you want my opinion, but here it is... I would return the balloon rams. They are breed to be that way, and it is bad for them and they will live shorter lives because of it. They do not occur that way in nature, its a man made thing. Just like the Berry Tetras and GloFish. Also, I dont know the dimensions of the tank, but if its less than 350 sq inches (889 sq cm), the dimensions of a 20 long, I think 1 Ram is all you should have for dwarf cichlids.

3. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

I thought only 1 would be OK in my tank but my sister wanted one so she got one herself.....
    I didn't kniw they were like that, I'll probably take one back soon but id like to keep one as they're quite cool.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Beautiful killis! I agree with alink.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, love them, so pretty! Also, the balloon rams, are they anything like balloon mollies? I'm planning to get a balloon molly myself soon. :) And yeah, I like glofish too. :D Again, congrats on the tank! :)

6. alink

Yes, same concept with the balloon Molly. Scientists playing with genes to create a market in the fish world that doesn't exist naturally, just to make a buck.

7. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Intentionally giving fish severe scoliosis, which causes multiple health problems down the line, is not exactly something that we, as aquarists, should support.

Glofish are different. They're not inbred to become glowy, the eggs are injected with some extract or other. They are capable of living full lives.

8. alink

Yes.

Personally, I dont like the fact that scientists are messing with something that occurs in nature to make it "better" just to make money from it. Which is why I choose not to support it or recommend them for tanks. There are millions of fish in this world, I dont think we need to play God and mess with a living creature for the purpose of making money. If they were meant to glow, they would do it naturally. </rant>

9. junebug

LOL Nah I'm with you. I prefer natural coloration. Though sometimes the pink glofish look kinda cool.... but they're illegal in CA anyway.

10. Anders247

I just read a thread a while ago that they are now legal in Cali..... maybe not where you are?
    And anyways, I see nothing wrong with glofish. The fish are fully healthy, and the gene comes from another living creature, not some chemical in a science lab.
    But yeah, I'm with junebug I prefer natural coloration.

11. junebug

Oh they're legal? LOL so all the stores that have been selling them all along aren't breaking the law now :p

12. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

My Grandfather used to raise Killiefish. The life cycle of some of them is very brief and quite interesting. I remember him sending and receiving packages of semi dried killiie eggs. Beautiful fish.

13. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

The killis are very nice. I agree I don't really like the idea of some scientists messing around with fish to make some cash however I've bought the fish now so I'd rather them stay with me than go to some little kid and put in a tiny tank without proper conditions...making their loves even shorter.

14. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  15. Anders247

Sorry, I know nothing about that type of stuff......

16. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

Oh lol....who knows about stuff like this?

17. Anders247

18. alink

I have no experience with those products or products available to the UK, so I would not be a good person to ask. Sorry!

19. OP
    OP
    fishguy122

What I'm asking is do you kniw if the lights power is ok? It has 33x 6500 K LEDs , is that OK to grow plants with co2.

20. junebug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19137744951...49&var=490493770928&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I just got one of these for my M. ansorgii tank. It's an amazing deal. If it were me, I'd be checking to see if the same company makes lights with UK sockets. They're a very nice LED and true full spectrum, on the right wavelength for each color present (including hot pink, the light color used most by green plants).

If you want a high tech tank, you'll want a light that matches the cO2 output. So the tank isn't getting over-carb'd. So, take a look at the PAR ratings for your tank depth for any light you purchase. You want a mid-high PAR to work with the cO2 diffuser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice