16 gallon tank enough space for 3 platies and a dwarf gourami?

1. Redman Initiate Member

Hello everyone.

I only have 3 platies in my 16 gallon tank. According to aqadvisor I can fit a dwarf gourami in the mix. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think that it would make a very attractive, and healthy, tank.-----rick

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The two species aren't compatible, but space-wise, you'd be fine...

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Much as I hate to differ with you, I have yet to have a problem with one DG and most anything that wouldn't eat it; so why do you say that the species are not compatible?
    Is that based on water parameters or tank size? Sorry, just curious---------rick

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Water parameters. DGs need soft water and don't tend to do great in anything above neutral. Platies need hard water and do not do well in soft water. Otherwise both are very nice, hardy fish (as long as you don't put anything tiny with the DG, as it will surely eat anything that fits in its mouth lol)

I'm not saying you can't do it. If you have neutral pH and manage to get both species adapted to it, it's doable. I just don't recommend keeping fish in parameters outside those of their natural environment.

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Almost all commonly sold fish are kept in water parameters far removed from their natural environment; the angel fish, P scalare was originally found in waters of about 6.0 pH and in water with very low conductivity, but now can thrive in any non extreme water.; its cousin, P. altum, due to almost never having been tank bred, still requires a pH of about 6 or slightly less just for maintenance, and to breed, which I am currently trying to do, needs a pH of 5 or less, and almost no conductivity.
    It basically comes down to just how many times a given species has been tank bred; with DG and platies, quite a few generations, I believe.
    With all due respect, discus can now be kept in a far wider range of water parameters than they could withstand 50 years ago; Jack Whatley says that he keeps his at a hardness that a Lake Tang cichlid might enjoy.
    I admire your posts, and am merely giving my take on the matter--you may well be correct------rick

7. Redman Initiate Member

So wether I put a gourami or not the ph should be ok for platies and gourami. My ph is at 6.2

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The platies will survive, but would prefer a much higher pH. That pH is great for the DG though :)

Edit: because I had to edit anyway, why not look at some of the smaller tetras or rasboras as tankmates? As long as they can't fit in the DG's mouth and are appropriate to the tank, they like the same water and would be a good addition.