16 Gallon stocking ideas?

1. BettaChuck Member Member

Okay, after asking about an 8 gal tank stocking, I realized(well, you guys convinced me lol ) that I am very limited with just 8 gal so I found a good offer and decided to get the 16 gal instead(it has less included stuff but it still comes with heater,filter and hood with neon). Here are the species of fish I would like to choose from:
    Glofish Danios
    Betta Females
    Red Neon Tetras
    Silver Tip Tetras
    Some type of Cory is a MUST
    Could you give me some ideas? What combinations could I make(and I don't mean to include all of them in one combo) and how many of each could I have?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

3. davebowden Member Member

Stocking

Hi,
    how about some tri colour platties, easy to keep and breed and they look good.:;toast

4. BettaChuck Member Member

I am really sorry, I should have made sure I'm posting in the wrong section! Thanks for moving it in the right place.

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm going to say no to the betta females, they would need more room and they can be aggressive with other fish in a community tank.

No to the silver tip tetras, they are very active and can be aggressive, would need at least a 25.

Yes, you can do glofish, neons. Corys if you're careful.

In my 16, I have lots of red cherry shrimp, a few different species of corys and assassin snails. Everyone is peaceful and everyone is spawning for me. That's a sign of a healthy tank.

6. BettaChuck Member Member

How about:
    1 Male Betta
    5-6 GloFish Danios
    2 Cory Fish
    2 African Dwarf Frogs

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Frogs need their own tank. They are very slow eaters and sometimes will starve when they are placed with fish.

I would say no to the male betta. They usually are not good community tank choices. If you did take the risk, you would have to be sure to have a backup tank available for him (5 gallon minimum) in case it didn't work out.

Corys should be in larger groups, 5 or more. Can you get pygmy corys where you are?

8. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with all lynda is saying. in a 16, I would only get pygmy/dwarf cories. I wouldn't do any bettas....as a 16 isn't that big for them to have their own territory. neons would be ok....prob glofish....espei rasboras...shrimp, snails... no frogs.

-j

9. BettaChuck Member Member

Okay, how many Guppies and Glofish could I have in the tank? Also, how about 3 ottos additionally?

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Guppies breed like crazy. Are you planning on both male and female?

Otos are extremely sensitive and can only go into an established tank, 6 months or older.

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

;DI like the idea of a couple platies. There are a lot of varieties, they are fairly hardy, and one or two would fit well into a 16 gallon tank.;D

12. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Here's something for you to think about.....

10 ember tetras
    20 red cherry shrimp
    1 mystery snail

13. BettaChuck Member Member

14. BettaChuck Member Member

No shrimpm, I think they are cute but I don't want any.The snail is a nice idea, but Apple Snails get big and need more space maybe a Nerite?

15. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ultimately, of course, the choice is yours. Even with years of fishkeeping experience under my belt, I wouldn't put the male betta with the guppies (long colorful tails) and the danios. The tank is too small for them to all claim their space.

Fish at a store do not behave the same as fish in a home aquarium. They are stressed, you don't know how long they've been with their tankmates and it's a short term solution for the store to box fish together, compatible or not. The store fish are also juveniles and that makes a huge difference. As fish mature, so does their aggression level.

Buyer beware.

16. BettaChuck Member Member

Speaking of which, did you see those highly advertised 1.5 gallon tanks for GloFish no less? They advertise that tiny tank with 10-12 GloFish in it.Who does that? Poor fish...Or those 1 Gallon ADF kits that say feed the frogs twice a week, change the water twice a year? What is wrong with these people?
    Okay well, back to the topic, how many male guppies and Zebra danios could I have in a 16 gal?

17. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i wouldn't put zebras in a 16g. they are super crazy and need more space. male guppies def can nip each other. i had some once, and they all nipped each other's tails off. you can try it with 4...but be prepared for nippyness. i like the idea of a school of small fish, maybe with one male guppy, and a couple nerite snails.

18. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I think we've reached the portion of the program where you get really familiar with your google app and research the various species you have been mentioning.

We can spend all day telling you which fish to get and having you come back with another new list. You need to research the fish you really want to see if a) they are compatible and b) that size tank is appropriate for them. Then come back to us with your list of hopefuls and we can help you winnow it down. Or, is that minnow it down..... ;)

19. BettaChuck Member Member

LOL funny, but good point.When I decide for sure I will come with the list of species so I can see how many I can have of each and I will stick to that.