16" fixture, where?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anybody know where I can find a 16" light fixture that gives me more than 14w of light, I'v looked over the internet at bigal's, drs. and that petplace and haven't found any? Any suggestions?

thanks

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe just try at your local hardware store for some different watt bulbs that are also made for different things. I'm guessing this is for your aquarium?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya I went to home depot and they didn't have anything, I'd like more than 14w but I may have to stick with only 14w and make due.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know that the Canadian Tire near me has bulbs that are about 16-18 watt minimum. But that doesn't help you unless you travel up to Canada to get one and then head home (waste of gasoline). Did you try looking at other hardware places?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes a few, but the problem is that they are the wrong spectrum for plants and/or I don't have a fixture for them :-\

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, I can't think of anything else.
Tom

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found the replacement bulbs for the small tank I have at Walmart. They have odd sized bulbs sometimes...just have to watch for them. I do not get there personally that often but they just happened to be the one place I found them before.

Rose

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
atmmachine said:
Anybody know where I can find a 16" light fixture that gives me more than 14w of light, I'v looked over the internet at bigal's, drs. and that petplace and haven't found any? Any suggestions?

thanks
If you're looking for a FULL fixture there are a few that I've come across but they're fairly expensive. Do you need exactly 16 inches or can it be slightly shorter? If your tank has a glass lid then you could use shorter lights. If your tank doesn't have a lid then you need a floating fixture that has support legs attached to the side rims of the tank. These two fixtures linked below are 12 inches. For freshwater you may have to remove/replace the bulbs because I think these bulbs are made for saltwater reef tanks.

I own a smaller version of the Coralife linked above. It's 9 inches instead of the 12 inches but it's capable of 18W (2x9W bulbs). It comes in both Freshwater and Saltwater versions. The Saltwater version has a 50/50 bulb configuration.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll be having a glass hood, the problem is I need it to be 16". 12" is too short because it won't spread the light out enough, I have a light like that now and I don't like it because the plants are all growing to the middle not straight up. I could buy two 12" fixtures but then I might as well just buy two 16" strip lights. I'v found one 16" but it's 50$ and I can just do strip lights here for that much. So what I might do is buy a glass top and deluxe hood and wait till strip lights go on sale and buy one. Funny thing is I can get a deluxe 16" hood for 20$ but a 16" stip light for 31$ ??? kinda weird. I also saw those and they have a Freshwater 12" one but I think it's 24$ and I might as well just buy some stip light. Kinda a pain they don't make more 16" fixtures

thanks for the links though

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom