15l Pico Reef Build Thread

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,
So I'm making this thread to follow the setup and progress of my 15L Pico reef, this tank is going to run off the back of my 350L red sea reefer, so should be up and running ready for coral very quickly. If all goes well the tank will be set up on Friday, but I'm making this a little early as I've got some questions.

Firstly I'll list the equipment I'll use:

The tank is a TMC microhabitat 15, I'm using the stock pump (although may upgrade to an ehim)

Not sure on the heater brand, but it's a good old reliable one I've had for ages.

As for the light I'm using a fluvial sea Bluetooth 3.0 (little bit overkill I know but I'll only run it at 25-50% power.

I don't need a wavemaker as the return pump is more than sufficient for adequate flow.

Skimmer - the stock one the tank comes with, it's driven by a wooden airstone

As for stocking - I'm planning on the following:

1x shrimp goby pair (unsure on type yet)
1x turbo snail
1x sand sifting snail
Potentially 1-2x sexy shrimp
Potentially a hermet crab

Does this look ok?

The good thing about running this off the back of my 350 is that I can swap out corals and it's already going to be fairly stable, I'm currently cycling some dry sand in my current tank so hopefully it will be populated with BB when I use it, as for rock I'll take one from my 350.

Finally, should I use a skimmer? I have one that comes with the tank, but I'm wondering if a mangrove might be a better option in the nano tank?

Thanks ,
Ethan

P.s, if you are thinking about doing a similar project then feel free to ask questions or follow along,

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice project, I started with that little tank look forward to seeing the pics

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice project, I started with that little tank look forward to seeing the pics
Thanks! Was my first tank too , thought I'd do this project as I really miss the "nanoness!?!" Of it, got a selection of nice corals today (present from relatives for good GCSES) so can't wait to get this thing up and running tomorrow!

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tank set up! Better pics to come
IMG_20190823_201525.jpg

Put a scoly, and Xenia in, sexy shrimp and hermet crab to go in later, used cycled sand, rocks and water from my main tank so it's essentially already cycled

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
very nice small tank. I find that skimmers in pico tanks are use less if you use filter floss and water change or just water change for that mater. I change my filter floss out once every 2 weeks and the water looks spotless. I have two turbo snail in mine that keep everything clean. I have only a birdnest and four striped Damsel. Change 25-50% water and feed when I feed my other tanks. as long as you top off it will be on auto pilot and enjoy. Sand in picos are a head ache at times. I started mine originally with sand and removed it when I increased the flow because it was blowing all over.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
very nice small tank. I find that skimmers in pico tanks are use less if you use filter floss and water change or just water change for that mater. I change my filter floss out once every 2 weeks and the water looks spotless. I have two turbo snail in mine that keep everything clean. I have only a birdnest and four striped Damsel. Change 25-50% water and feed when I feed my other tanks. as long as you top off it will be on auto pilot and enjoy. Sand in picos are a head ache at times. I started mine originally with sand and removed it when I increased the flow because it was blowing all over.
The tank has fairly low flow, but I can remove if needs be, I may remove the skimmer, I have floss and a mangrove in there too... I'm contemplating moving the ATO system from my 350 as I know I'm going to eventually forget to top up, but I'll see how it goes... Hopefully this can be packed with coral soon... What sort of fish do you think I could get away with in there? Is yours the same size?

Ethan

xiholdtruex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tank has fairly low flow, but I can remove if needs be, I may remove the skimmer, I have floss and a mangrove in there too... I'm contemplating moving the ATO system from my 350 as I know I'm going to eventually forget to top up, but I'll see how it goes... Hopefully this can be packed with coral soon... What sort of fish do you think I could get away with in there? Is yours the same size?

Ethan
I have a 5.5g originally it was a 3g but the integrity of the plastic tank was questionable due to it being older and started developing a tiny crack.
You could get away with a tiny goby most likly I would not push too much out of that zone. Inverts would be fine but fish would not have much room in there.

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 5.5g originally it was a 3g but the integrity of the plastic tank was questionable due to it being older and started developing a tiny crack.
You could get away with a tiny goby most likly I would not push too much out of that zone. Inverts would be fine but fish would not have much room in there.
Ok, I may get a coral goby or a shrimp goby pair at some point, but for now the tank is looking amazing imo! Put a lot of coral in and all seems to be going well, I've seen some extremely tiny fish at the store (may have been a goby) I'll have a look tomorrow .

Ethan

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks good got any better pics of the scoly ? How much was it and where from ?
I'm only 90% sure it's a scoly, but I got it from a store in a town near Leeds, only cost £17 but was in a generic "random coral" tank, they didn't know what half of them were.

Ethan
1566894380792.jpg

Esimm03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Winner lol good find
funny bit is the guy said it was a mushroom

Reef update - so it's doing quite well so far however annoyingly the Dinos from my DT have showed their faces in my pico, it's not that bad and only on the sandbed and gorgonian, but I've turned the skimmer off and put some food in to increase nitrates so hopefully they should go.

Ethan

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom