15g Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Duinemerwen, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Duinemerwen

DuinemerwenNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi again,

I'm thinking of stocking ideas for a new 15G. The tank is currently cycling but it will be moderately planted when I am done. So far the frontrunner is:
    • 3 honey gouramis (1 male, 2 female - I'd be willing to have only 1 male, but I don't want him to feel lonely)
    • 8+ glowlight tetras
    • Lots of cherry shrimp (unless the gouramis eat them, in which case there will be no shrimp)
    I don't think cory cats are optimal for this tank because they will not be as happy with the Flourite Black substrate as with proper sand.

The second idea for stocking was:
    • Pair of German blue rams
    • 8+ glowlight/lambchop rasboras
    Any thoughts on either stocking? My priorities are to make sure none of the fish feel lonely or stressed out.

2. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    • In my opinion, I think that you could get a pretty nice Betta sorority in the tank. You could get about 5 female Bettas and they will have about 3 gallons per Betta in that tank.
    • You could have another stocking idea as 1 Male Betta of choice, a couple shrimp of choice(I suggest cherry shrimp), and maybe some neon tetras as those make a good looking tank and a happy environment.
    With all of this being said, make sure that you test in the store if the Bettas you get are aggressive. If you go with the sorority make sure the Bettas are around the same size.

3. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,305
    A 15 is too small for a sorority, imo. Things can go wrong when doing a sorority in small tanks. A 29 or 30 is the minimum tank size to start a sorority.

4. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    True, I usually have bigger tanks for sororities too! I just don’t know how much experience this guy has. It would be a lot of work, but it might work. I usually would go with a Betta community tank as I love Bettas but that is my own taste!

5. moiz4got

moiz4gotNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    2 years
    If you like, you can even try
    Clown loaches, may be like 4 of 1.5"-2"

they are extemely clumsy and a real fun to watch.

6. omaxem

omaxemNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    NO.

ZERO CLOWN LOACHES IN a 15G, PLEASE.

Clown loaches grow into 10+ inch fish, can live for 20+ years with PROPER care and there need to be at least 6 of them in a tank. They are NOT appropriate for a 15G.

Sorry for coming in so hot, but i'm a loach guy and imo Clowns are for huge ( huge, like public huge ) aquariums. 100G at a minimum for a group of 6.

I'm setting up a 15G myself in the coming week and i'm going with a school of Ember or Lemon Tetras, 1 Betta male or 1 Honey Gourami, and 5 or 6 Corys, depending on the breed i can find. If you take the Corys out of the equation, you can either add a couple more tetras or another tetra school alltogether.

And again, sorry for the allcaps.

7. moiz4got

moiz4gotNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah it's a good advice.. I am also kind of a LOACH lover and I mainly have all monster fishes in my tank. I have managed to keep some loaches in my 20g tank thus I gave an advice. Sorry if I was wrong.

And no worries on the caps as I am sure you love the fishes thus there is an excitemkent and eagerness in your comment. Keep it up..

8. FeederGuppies

FeederGuppiesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    Clown loaches get way bigger than that... closer to 12". They require at least 75 gallons.

Become a Fishlore Member