Hi everyone, I posted in the beginner's forum and included the story of how I ended up with a 155 gallon bowfront tank (short version, it was in the wall when I bought this house). While I have attempted to keep tanks before, none were successful. We even managed to lose betas in the little beta tanks that you get from the pet store. I decided to post here so that I could focus on the tank, the equipment and occupants, and uses thread as a record of the tank as it evolves. 155 gallon bowfront tank built into the wall. Access to electrical access to electrical outlets and limited access to the tank available from the back. Empty Tank by Brett Maddex posted Jul 16, 2017 at 9:23 PM Equipment: Ehiem Classic Filter 2217 with Media (I do not remember what kind of media is in it). Tunze Nano Stream 6045 (I call them underwater fans, I do not know if there is a more specific term) Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus x3 Ehiem Jager 300 W Submersible Heater Materials: CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Substrate - 160 pounds North American Rock Garden Red Lava Rock – various pieces totaling 25 pounds Zoo Med African Mopani Wood - one piece that is almost 2 feet long and half that high when we set it in the tank Plants: Amazon sword (six, three large, three small) Banana Plant x3 Java Fern Trident x5 Dwarf Onion x3 Anubis x5 - not sure of the subtype, possibly a version of anubias barteri Cryptocoryne x8, 2 are Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Tropica," the other six crypts are the same type, but I think they are a different subtype than the first two, although I could not be certain. Fish: Millennial Rainbowfish x 4 Dwarf NeonRainbowfish x 6 Boesemani Rainbowfish x 6 Cardinal Tetra x 14 Golden Barb x 6 In the first picture below you can see what looks like, and is, the removable copper facing that is above the tank. It has a small door in the middle that can be opened for feeding, and the whole thing pulls out if you need access to the tank. The owner before me used this tank as a living reef saltwater system and had all the plumbing in the room behind the tank to accommodate that system, but almost everything had been ripped out years before he sold the house to me. I was told that even when he had an active tank he had a service, he was not a hobbyist himself. The couple that helped me set this up wondered how many problems that copper facing caused his saltwater tank… Stage II – front view by Brett Maddex posted Jul 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Stage II – right side by Brett Maddex posted Jul 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Stage II – left side by Brett Maddex posted Jul 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Stage II – oblique view by Brett Maddex posted Jul 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM This is where my tank is currently. In other posts I found out that we did not really cycle the water propory, and I do not yet have a testing kit so I will update this as soon as I get that tomorrow. I thought the plants accelerated the cycle, but I have come to find out that they do not do that, although they do absorb some of the ammonia and nitrate from the water. Jennifer (the wife of the husband-wife team that has been helping me) felt that we would be able to add fish after only a week, and she is a hobbyist with her husband. Although they do focus on saltwater she has set up freshwater tanks before and has her own freshwater tanks. I still do not know why she felt that with the amount of plants we were going to have in this planted tank we could add fish this quickly, but she commented that without the plants we would be spending another month or two getting the tank ready for the fish. One of the tank calculators I used suggested that when the fish I have are full-grown this tank is still only had about 55% capacity, so with everything juvenile still I am desperately hoping that the size of the tank, the media in the canister filter, and the plants will help me avoid new tank syndrome and killing off some or all of my first 36 fish while the tank finishes its first cycle. Going Forward Assuming the plants and fish survive the next several weeks, the plan for the next stage is to introduce some more fish, primarily the algae eaters/bottom feeders. Red tail sharks, clown loach and some version of a catfish that does not get too large are all possibilities I discussed with Jennier . We also believe we can introduce either another subspecies of rainbowfish or some other fish that is compatible as another mid-tank/upper tank fish. For plants, I do intend to add some sort of grassy like plant that would fill in some of the foreground and middle of the tank. We had actually pick some up to add already but they looked so bad once we got them here that Jennifer did not want to include them in a tank that was this new. She is going to see if they can be saved/cultivated in one of her own tanks and perhaps return cuttings to my tank if they improve, and if not we will look for another option. The large Amazon swords are already propagating, and we see a fair amount of new growth even in the little bit of time that the plants from the first stage have been in the tank. Rather than purchasing a lot plants, I am hoping that what I have will continue to propagate and fill in. Comments and suggestions are welcome! Stage III is not set in stone, I have not prepurchased any of the animals/plants for that stage yet.