150G Stocking Ok?

hatred27

Reaction score
I'm getting my 150 gallon tomorrow and am moving some of my current fish over and planning on ordering some more fish. Wanted to make sure the stocking seemed fine.
Moving over;
1x EBJD
1x Jack Dempsey
1x Green Terror
1x Jewel Cichlid
1x Red Tailed Shark
Ordering;
1-2x Bichir
5-6x Silver Dollars
1x Common Pleco
1x Tiger Oscar
1x Red Texas

The EBJD will remain in my 55 gallon until its bigger because its a lot smaller than everything else at the moment. The tiger oscar is really the only thing that I could go without. The silver dollars and bichir quantity can change too.

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would definitely hold off on the tiger Oscar as the jewel cichlid and the redtail shark may make good snacks for it. and the common pleco may out grow the tank(believe it or not since they can potentially reach 24 inches long.

also just a heads up from aqadvisor
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 163% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Rocio octofasciatum, Andinoacara rivulatus, Hemichromis bimaculatus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis) or get a larger tank.

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
nicole4434 said:
I would definitely hold off on the tiger Oscar as the jewel cichlid and the redtail shark may make good snacks for it. and the common pleco may out grow the tank(believe it or not since they can potentially reach 24 inches long.

also just a heads up from aqadvisor
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 163% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Rocio octofasciatum, Andinoacara rivulatus, Hemichromis bimaculatus, Pterygoplichthys pardalis) or get a larger tank.
Removing silver dollars doesn't really bother me either. I was just wanting a schooling fish. I may only do 1 bichir. What pleco would you recommend? Holding on oscar is fine. But can an Oscar eat a 6 inch fish?

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Bristle Nose Pleco will be fine in that set up and actually gets rid of the Aqadvisor warning about selected species require the percentage of tank space.

And even if he can't eat a 6 inch fish all in one go he could do a lot of damage over time (he wasn't recommended with those species by aqadvisor.

I'm not sure what Bichir is but with everything else minus the Common for the BN, no Oscar, and you can have your 6 silver dollars not sure what the 1st fish is in your list it states your 80% stocked

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
nicole4434 said:
A Bristle Nose Pleco will be fine in that set up and actually gets rid of the Aqadvisor warning about selected species require the percentage of tank space.

And even if he can't eat a 6 inch fish all in one go he could do a lot of damage over time (he wasn't recommended with those species by aqadvisor.
I
I'm not sure what Bichir is but with everything else minus the Common for the BN, no Oscar, and you can have your 6 silver dollars not sure what the 1st fish is in your list it states your 80% stocked
Idk whether you mean you don't know what a bichir is or that you don't know what kind of bichir I'm talking about. The first fish is an electric blue jack dempsey. I wish clown loaches didn't get so huge, I'd rather have those than silver dollars.

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay well the only issue that I see with those fish is you do realize Green Terrors require cooler temps then the others right

Selected species: []

1 x Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciatum)
1 x Green Terror (Andinoacara rivulatus)
1 x Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus)
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
1 x Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciatum)
1 x DelhezI Bichir (Polypterus delhezi)
5 x Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus)

Recommendations/Warnings/Suggestions/Notes:

Note: Red Tailed Black Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Note: Clown Loach may pretend to be dead at times.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 110% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Rocio octofasciatum, Andinoacara rivulatus, Hemichromis bimaculatus, Ancistrus sp., Polypterus delhezi, Chromobotia macracanthus) or get a larger tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 22 - 30C: Jack Dempsey
=> 20 - 24C: Green Terror
=> 23 - 27C: Jewel Cichlid
=> 22 - 26C: Red Tailed Black Shark
=> 22 - 27C: Bristlenose Pleco
=> 22 - 30C: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
=> 25 - 28C: DelhezI Bichir
=> 24 - 30C: Clown Loach
Recommended water change schedule: 42% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 149%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

I wish I new of a loach that would be compatible and the right size as they are adorable

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
nicole4434 said:
Okay well the only issue that I see with those fish is you do realize Green Terrors require cooler temps then the others right

Selected species: []

1 x Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciatum)
1 x Green Terror (Andinoacara rivulatus)
1 x Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus)
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor)
1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
1 x Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (Rocio octofasciatum)
1 x DelhezI Bichir (Polypterus delhezi)
5 x Clown Loach (Chromobotia macracanthus)

Recommendations/Warnings/Suggestions/Notes:

Note: Red Tailed Black Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Note: Clown Loach may pretend to be dead at times.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 110% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Rocio octofasciatum, Andinoacara rivulatus, Hemichromis bimaculatus, Ancistrus sp., Polypterus delhezi, Chromobotia macracanthus) or get a larger tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 22 - 30C: Jack Dempsey
=> 20 - 24C: Green Terror
=> 23 - 27C: Jewel Cichlid
=> 22 - 26C: Red Tailed Black Shark
=> 22 - 27C: Bristlenose Pleco
=> 22 - 30C: Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
=> 25 - 28C: DelhezI Bichir
=> 24 - 30C: Clown Loach
Recommended water change schedule: 42% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 149%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.
I've had my green terror for like 5 months. Most sites I've seen recommend 72-80%

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just suggesting, there are a lot of fish that adapt to situations that well are not the right conditions, PH is usually the most known adaptation, it wouldn't surprise me temp also would be adaptable, I keep my tank at 27 degrees, but I know in the summer heater or no heater my tank can get up to 30 during the day.

I still recommend the Bristle they get about 5 inches, cute as buttons, I have a Calico female, shes about 3 inches right now.

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would pick between the Oscar and Texas, not both. Definitely get 6 silver dollars. And I'm partial to L600 plecos right now, so I would get one of those instead of the common. Jewel cichlids are feisty enough I would not worry about anything eating it. They also get big enough to not worry about that too much. The shark, meh. It might get eaten. But I doubt it.

What kind of bichir? A big one could definitely outgrow a 150 and eat the shark and jewel.

nicole4434 said:
I wish I new of a loach that would be compatible and the right size as they are adorable
Clown loaches...

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nicole4434 said:
That's what were trying to find a replacement for that will still work with his fish but not grow as big, lol
They will work fine with what is being suggested. That adviser web site is unreliable. They would actually work better than the Silver Dollars. There are a lot of cichlids that are taking up the SD swimming space. The loaches swim all over the place, but will take up some floor space.The biggest issue with the loaches is they are hard to find descent sized ones, and they grow much slower than everything else. But if he got the loaches, I would stick to a senegal bichir.

And maybe I missed it, but I don't see any mention of filtration.

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
BDpups said:
They will work fine with what is being suggested. That adviser web site is unreliable. They would actually work better than the Silver Dollars. There are a lot of cichlids that are taking up the SD swimming space. The loaches swim all over the place, but will take up some floor space.The biggest issue with the loaches is they are hard to find descent sized ones, and they grow much slower than everything else. But if he got the loaches, I would stick to a senegal bichir.

And maybe I missed it, but I don't see any mention of filtration.
I'd rather have clown loaches just saw they get 1ft long. That is the kind of bichir I want. Still haven't picked out filters yet, I have another post about that.

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hun they can get up to 16 inches, but that's the extreme, most people will never truly see that size for a very long time. most fish that get large are slow growers.

They are also mostly nocturnal which means they will be moving around the tank when all your cichlids have put themselves to bed.

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Senegals do not get 16". I'm sure there is some site that says they do, but the max out at 12".

Clown loaches will grow to foot too. But like I said they are very slow growers. If you get a small group of them, 4, which 4 is fine for them, I would bet only 1 reaches 12 inches. The rest would more than likely stay between 8" and 10". On the off chance they all 4 grow to a foot and you feel they are too big for your tank, sell them. Large clown loaches are worth some money.

nicole4434

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BDpups said:
Senegals do not get 16". I'm sure there is some site that says they do, but the max out at 12".

Clown loaches will grow to foot too. But like I said they are very slow growers. If you get a small group of them, 4, which 4 is fine for them, I would bet only 1 reaches 12 inches. The rest would more than likely stay between 8" and 10". On the off chance they all 4 grow to a foot and you feel they are too big for your tank, sell them. Large clown loaches are worth some money.
I did say it was the extreme and most will never see that size (not in a home aquarium any way), just like BN can get 6-7 inches but most stop at 4.5- 5 inches (we as humans can try but we will never actually mimic the fishes natural environment 100%)

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
BDpups said:

So I wouldn't need the usual school of 6? I don't mind getting 6, just don't want to overstock. I need to look into that pleco and see how much they run. I didn't think too much about bichir over stocking because they mostly hide and stay on the bottom.

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hatred27 said:
So I wouldn't need the usual school of 6? I don't mind getting 6, just don't want to overstock. I need to look into that pleco and see how much they run. I didn't think too much about bichir over stocking because they mostly hide and stay on the bottom.
Bichirs aren't hiders at all. Senegals are one of the more active ones.

I don't know where the idea of 6 being the minimum for a school came from. With larger shoaling fish smaller numbers are fine in my opinion. I know others will disagree.

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
BDpups said:
Bichirs aren't hiders at all. Senegals are one of the more active ones.

I don't know where the idea of 6 being the minimum for a school came from. With larger shoaling fish smaller numbers are fine in my opinion. I know others will disagree.
haha. I don't know. just what I always read lol. what about other loaches like tiger loaches?

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hatred27 said:
what about other loaches like tiger loaches?
I don't know much about them and have never kept them. I think they stay smaller than clowns. I also think they are hard to fine.

OP
H

hatred27

Reaction score
BDpups said:
I don't know much about them and have never kept them. I think they stay smaller than clowns. I also think they are hard to fine.
So you think;
green terror
red tailed black shark
jewel cichlid
jack dempsey
eb jack dempsey
red texas
4-5x clown loaches
1x senegal bichir
1x pleco
this is fine?

New Threads