150G South American Discus Filtration System

Tautog

I am sharing my setup with those of you who may be interested in one high end option. I have a 150G deep dimension tank. The footprint is 4'x2'x30" and I do not have an overflow or holes drilled. I chose a multiple canister configuration described below:

Fluval Fx6 Filter No. 1
- Top Tray: Matrix, Biomax, Sponge top and floss bottom
- Middle Tray: Biomax, Sponge top and floss bottom
- Bottom Tray: ChemiPure Elite Grande

Fluval Fx6 Filter No. 2
- Top Tray: Matrix, Biomax, Sponge top and floss bottom
- Middle Tray: Biomax, Sponge top and floss bottom
- Bottom Tray: ChemiPure Elite Grande

Eheim 2217 Filter No. 3
- Standard Eheim media configuration

Eheim 2217 Filter No. 4
- Standard Eheim media configuration

CoralLife 36W UV Sterilizer Turbo Twist

x2 Hydor 240 GPH Powerheads

Air Pump and Bubble Wall

x2 Fluval LED Lighting Strips on Timers

The Engine Room or Wastewater Treatment Plant Photos:

removed

South American Discus Community Stocking and Photos:

- x11 Adult Discus
- x3 Blue Scorpion (males)
- x3 Blue Diamond (female)
- x2 Golden Snakeskin (female)
- x1 Red Turquoise (male)
- x1 Snow White (male)
- x5 Dwarf Flag Cichlids
- x2 Redhead Trapajo Geophagas
- x11 Spotted Cory Catfish
- x25 Pygmy Marbled Hatchetfish
- x12 Black Neon Tetras
- x25 Cardinal Tetras
- x20 Neon Tetras
- x30 Glolight Tetras
- x15 Rummy Nose Tetras

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

I have a Discus community so managing flow is important to the health of my fish. I do this by returning 80% on the surface and 20% down and across in the tank using driftwood to soften the impact. I have two low flow powerheads at opposite corners slowing moving debris around the bottom and into the two intakes for the Fx6 filters which are excellent mechanical filters.

I have also configured my two LED light strips so that one comes on low blue light at 430PM and stays on in the background until 11PM. The other is a low soft light in the foreground that comes on at 5PM and stays on until 1030PM. This provides a unique color spectrum that enhances the Discus appearance and also mimics closer to nature. I run a similar timing in the morning for 2 hours to support a twice a day feeding regimen.

Claire Bear

Magnificent!

Tautog

Thank you so much!

cichlidchick13

This is an amazingly beautiful tank!! I also have a 150 gallon I recently obtained and am looking to make it a discus tank.. WOW is all I can say to this!!!

blusshed

Gorgeous!

JustinSain

Wow, great job!

Tian

Wow! This is reallllly beautifull.....

Brandonc41

All of it super nice. I especially appreciate the filtration setup. Just my style. SUPER FILTRATION!

tameone

wow, you could probably filter the water supply for a small town

Awesome setup.

Tautog

Thank you all. Here is one more picture of front with cabinet open.

removed

JustinSain

What type of background is that?

Tautog

I painted the background black

tameone

Mind sharing what those plants are and where you found them? I'm looking for a similar style, but everything I come across is too short for my tank.

Tautog

These are artificial Krinkle Grass

Tautog

60 gallons RO and 20 gallons tap every 1-2 weeks

Teejay620

What kind of leds are you using? I also have a 150 with same dims.

Tautog

I have two Fluval lighting systems each on different timers. One system is for planted tanks. Too bright since I'm not raising real plants any longer do it goes on first as a blue light then the other softer lower light turn on last and off first to simulate sun going up and down.

Teejay620

How is the fluval planted? Does it penetrate deep enough for low to med light plants? I'm looking at buying one

Gamer

Wow!

All the school's look brilliant around the discus. Don't be shocked if they begin to disappear!!!!!

Yowzer

HI great looking fish and set-up, especially love the centrepiece wood, I would ask if you think the UV is beneficial, as I have just finished setting up my 300ltr tank, and popped a small UV light in the sump, but I have been looking at two other types of UV, one is a pump that fits in the sump that will send the water back to the tank rated at 3000lts an hour with a UV fitted, the other type is a internal U, any advice would be welcome on this
IMG_2936.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG

llfish

Absolutely amazing!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tautog
Replies
Views
shelly