150g+20g+20g

1. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

Hey guys ! Came across an amazing deal 150 gallon with 2x 20 gallons for 500. Comes with lights hob filters and canister filter all cycled and ready to hold fish. Now I have a 90 gallon gourami tank and I know lots of people have done cichlids. But I wanna do something different !

One of the 20 gallons will be a planted shrimp tank I'm going to do rcs shrimp and let them just do thier thing and breed.

I have really been looking into discus fish for the 150 but I always feel the more research I do the less I know what to do. I have seen people with discus and angels before, but I have read that discus like the tank warm ! 82 degrees ish. So what would be viable tank mates.

Also I have thought of eels. So many look so cool and they are very different from what you see in a normal tank. (All tanks have cover lids) what are good tank mates for them. The 150 is 72x18x18.

I also have looked into boseman rainbow fish. They look amazing and not as hard of a hit on the pocket book as discus. Plus I could have a huge community with them.

Would love opinions thoughts ideas on fish that would look good in this tank set up !? And what could all Co exist nicely

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

A 72 x 18 x 18 is a 100 gallon I believe. So take that into consideration if you have not already bought these tanks.

3. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

Yeah that's not a 150 with those dimensions. A 150 long would be almost 30" tall.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

5. n

nboatr Valued Member Member

Go with the Rainbow fish, mix up the different types. Very hardy, nice colors, fun to watch.

6. OP
    OP
    derkulies

Nice catch guys I had to do a double take on that. I'll probably try to haggle him down a little then. But still not a terrible deal especially if I can get him to come down cuz the tank size is smaller.

Back to original part tank mates lol

7. SnyperTodd

I'd definitely try to get the seller down on the price. $500 is at the top of what I'd consider reasonable for a 100g and 2 20g tanks. If all 3 had nice wood stands, decent LED lights, and the canister filter was a large, reputable brand unit, he may be close to the ballpark but in my opinion that's still pretty high for what you're getting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. BDpups

Totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

9. OP
    OP
    derkulies

BDpups SnyperTodd what do you feel would be a reasonable price. Metal stands 4 bulb t5ho (36 inch bulbs) I don't remember the cannister but it's not fluval (only brand I'm familiar with cannisters) hob filters on all 3 tanks as well

10. BDpups

If it's all in good condition $250 to $300 maybe. But the value of something in all honestly is what you are willing to pay. $500 is certainly less than buying new. But used is used. And used equipemt is not worth all that much if you ask me.

I figure for the tanks and stands $200 to $250. I mean you can get brand new 20 gallons for $20. So I would not offer much for those or the equipment. And for a used 100 gallon that they are adveritsing as a 150, I mean even in excellent condition, I would not want to pay much more than $150 for it. Make sure to point out it's not a 150.

But like I said.. It's your money. So whatever you are comfortable paying, go for it if you want it.

11. OP
    OP
    derkulies

Found the demensions it's a 125 72x18x22 I was thinking of talking him down to 350 400 ish

12. BDpups

That seems reasonable to me.

13. SnyperTodd

I think $350 would be reasonable. I'm personally not big on metal stands, but if all 3 have stands that's a plus. Used 20g tanks aren't worth much, used HOB filters aren't worth anything, the light fixtures sound decent, the canister- who knows, could go either way... Around here a used 150g with a stand, glass tops, and light will sell pretty quickly at around $375-400. Like BDPups said, it's your money, use your own judgement.

14. OP
    OP
    derkulies

Honestly I've done enough carpentry I will build my own and use my dremel to custom make it after I get my wife's pergola done for her hot tub lol. I feel double standards on that deal she gets 300 gallons of tub and I'm only getting 165 lol

15. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

You said the filters are already cycled, does he still have fish in there or an ammonia source if there arent fish? If not, the cycle will be lost. Just something to keep in mind.

16. OP
    OP
    derkulies

Fish are present