150 Gallon New World Cichlid Planted Tank-looking For Tank Mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by ghurty, Mar 20, 2019.

1. ghurtyValued MemberMember

I am starting a new thread because I believe I know what I want (or part of it).
    150 Gallon planted tank
    2 X BGR
    6 X Clown Loaches
    1 X Jack Depsey
    1 X EB Jack Dempsy (I think)
    1 X Green Terror
    1 X Retail Shark
    1 X PLeco

What other fish would go good with this tank

Thank you

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

As long as you are going to stock big aggressive fish like Jack Dempseys, might as well stock something a little less common, and a little more flashy like Red Terrors ( Festae)
    Instead of the Red Tail Shark, maybe increase the size of the Clown Loach colony. Only small Plecos, like BN's or Gold Nuggets. A Green Terror is almost always a good choice.
    Here's a pic of my tank as it was stocked several years ago. A community with a pair of Red Terrors, a Green Terror, Spotted Silver Dollars and some oddball African Cichlids. I was just starting the transition from a new world tank to an African. 20190210_074226.jpg

3. ghurtyValued MemberMember

Thank you. How did you have the African there with the new world? I thought the pH level isn't compatible .

So you would recommend getting rid of the jack dempsy completely ?

4. A201Well Known MemberMember

My tap has a PH of about 8.2, so every fish I keep has to adjust. Most South American fish available in the U.S are raised in Florida hatcheries, in hard water.
    I really like JD's but when they reach the nine or ten inch mark they become sedentary & reclusive except at feeding time. IMO, the Red & Green Terrors are just more interesting cichlids to keep in larger tanks.

5. ghurtyValued MemberMember

I just checked. Live Aquaria doesnt have any Red Terrors. Can you recommend any other fish?

Thank you

6. A201Well Known MemberMember

Research Texas Cichlids.The Green Pearl Scale (Carpintis) are real stunners. The Herickthys "Cyanos" are the common Texas Cichlid. They are nice looking too, but IMO, the Carpintis are better looking.
    Here 's a pic of a baby Cyano I have growing out in a spare tank. Sorry about the poor quality pic. 20190320_212308.jpg