150 Gallon Glass Tank Bows Out 1/2" When Filled

BklynsBurning
I found a 150 gallon tank in the street...I filled it with hot tap water to test the seal and to remove the gunk and salt from the previous owner...the top frame was already cracked...but now there is a gap... I see that now that its filled there is a 1/2" bow in the glass...is this dangerous or is the glass flexible enough to handle the pressure?

Attachments

• Message_1544038029069.jpg
    Message_1544038029069.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 114
Stoka
Yikes. That would worry me. That “bow” is the main reason for the bracing bar across the middle. Maybe you could improvise some sort of clamp across the top to hold it in place, otherwise I wouldn’t take the chance.

KimberlyG
Not safe! I'm guessing that is why it was thrown away. There are some that say you can fix a center brace...I don't want 150 gallons of water on my floor.

Lynn78too
This is my personal feeling on DIY when a fish tank appears "broken": how much is a new one vs. how much will it cost to clean up and replace everything that the water and broken glass will ruin when the tank shatters all over my room? That's just me though and I know plenty of people fix things and have no problems.

BklynsBurning
its amazing how a thin strip of plastic holds that much pressure back from the glass....I think I'm gonna replace the frame...a saw a few online cheap....

I filled the tank up in my shop at work.. I'm not back there until 2 days from now... I'm gonna have to pray to poseidon for some extra stregnth in the tank....if it bursts at least it won't ruin anything but my plans

NavyChief20
Top frames/braces are an easy fix. Super easy if you have a welder. Theres many options for either a OEM replacement or fabricate your own.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Calab
Replies
Views
JimC22
Replies
Views
Mooresvillian
Replies
Views