150 Gallon Community Tank stocking!

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
Hi guys! I’m getting an aquarium which is 4ft long, 24 inches deep and 30 inches tall! It has a canister that does around 530 gallons an hour. I have 3 main questions: if my stocking will work? Are there any larger invertebrates that would stand larger fish in a community Tank? What are some good plants to try in a tank with aqua soil, good lighting and liquid ferts?
Zebra Pleco (1)

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is a nice stocking, I would even say that is a bit under stocked. But the honey gourami likes to be in groups. 3-5.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd be really careful with German blue rams. They like higher temperatures and a can be a little tricky to feed, especially with other fish. IMO I think they do best in a species only tank or with other similar sized cichlids.
Just be sure you have some wood for the pleco.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's quite a mixed bag of fish. There's a lot of potential when stocking a big tank. IMO, things go better when related species are kept in big communities. You obviously like Rainbow fish. There are numerous varieties of Rainbows, most are beautiful. A 150 could hold five different varieties in schools of ten . Cory Cats & Plecos would be fine scavengers.
The same could be said about a community of Live bearers.
An Asian tank w/ Gourami & varieties of Barbs can look awsome too. Loaches make great scavengers in such communities.
I'll leave plant advice to those more qualified.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The rams are incompatible with the orange laser. The GBR prefer 82ish temp and the orange laser cory will prefer 75.
-
Planting a tank that is 30 inches deep will be er difficult unless you have very long arms.
-

Unlike Mike1995 I do not find it difficult to feed rams even in a community; but as I noted the temp conflict is a serious issue.
-

OP
N

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
German blue rams actually got me into the hobby so I do really want to keep a pair, But I do know that they need great water quality and high temps, I plan to add the gbr towards end, making sure the tank is fully stable and I’m having no aggression issues, If I start seeing issues, I’ll leave out on the rams

OP
N

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
I do like that idea about the Asian Gourami and barb ice, ig I’ll have to look into that! I think I’ll probably start of slow and maybe take out a few species and higher the number of existing fish per species. Like more Of the same fish :)

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You have a lot of tank to work with, very nice !

Just some thoughts, don't rule out some nice South American cichlids!

Consider substituting Electric Blue Acara's for the GBR's.

Also, consider switching out some of the smaller community fish with a couple of Severums. Red Spotted, Gold or the Red Shoulder Severums would look great in a 150g in my opinion.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They work but you have one fish that likes really warm water and a bunch of fishes that prefer a bit cooler water - if you really want the ram i would rethink the entire selection.

Nameer Khan said:
I heard sterbai corydoras live in higher temps, would they work?

OP
N

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
I’ll leave out the rams then, I might go with a solo angelfish then or instead a pair of Bolivian rams

12Cin12

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nameer Khan said:
I’ll leave out the rams then, I might go with a solo angelfish then or instead a pair of Bolivian rams
If you want Bolivians, you could put several. They are really peaceful, and following advice I got here, I have three males and one female (I wanted more females, but kept ending up with males!) They are fine together and don't over harass each other. They aren't as spectacular as the GBR, but I still think they're really nice fish.

New Threads