15 litre orb water changes

Tracy13

Hi
I have Trevor my betta fish in a 15 litre orb. He was a present to me.
I’ve had him since October and I’m concerned I’m changing his water to often. I’ve looked on various videos etc and they all have conflicting information. At the moment I’m changing around a quarter of his water once a week. I have noticed that he is looking a little ‘scruffy’ and wondered if this is why?
please see pictures below as to shortly after I got him and today.
The brighter picture is todays as he swam in to the sunlight. I did shut the blind after the picture so he was ok!
Any help given will be gratefully received as he is my buddy!
Thank you
Tracy

Attachments

• 047D2858-2041-4A5F-8306-845FFDD58FAB.jpeg
    047D2858-2041-4A5F-8306-845FFDD58FAB.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 6187DB9B-EB08-4F2C-BE00-04E225DFBB99.jpeg
    6187DB9B-EB08-4F2C-BE00-04E225DFBB99.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 11

mattgirl

Amazing that this is the same fish. :)

You are not changing too much water. In fact if this were my tank I would be changing even more. The very best thing we can do for our water pets is to keep their water fresh and clean.

Did you cycle this tank before putting him in there? Are you testing to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrites in the water? There should be none in a fully cycled tank. The only thing you should see is low nitrates.

PAcanis

I have a small female Betta in a 2.1g cylinder with small filter and heater and change roughly 75% of her water every day.
So I too am going to say you are not changing too much water.

Rose of Sharon

Something is definitely up with that dorsal fin for sure. He is really clamped in that new photo. I agree with daily water changes and everything mattgirl and PAcanis said, and I would add some Indian almond leaves to the tank to help promote healing. It will turn the water brown, but it will be very, very beneficial for the betta. Water quality is key!

Tracy13

Amazing that this is the same fish. :)

You are not changing too much water. In fact if this were my tank I would be changing even more. The very best thing we can do for our water pets is to keep their water fresh and clean.

Did you cycle this tank before putting him in there? Are you testing to make sure there is no ammonia or nitrites in the water? There should be none in a fully cycled tank. The only thing you should see is low nitrates.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I’m pleased I’m not overdoing it for him!
I did cycle the tank and I check the water once or twice a week.
I just thought he looked a bit ragged round the edges, but it could have been too much sun on him? The first picture wasn’t so clear.
Thank you again
Tracy and Trevor
I have a small female Betta in a 2.1g cylinder with small filter and heater and change roughly 75% of her water every day.
So I too am going to say you are not changing too much water.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I will start changing his water more often. It is very clear and I do test it as well.
T&T

mattgirl

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I’m pleased I’m not overdoing it for him!
I did cycle the tank and I check the water once or twice a week.
I just thought he looked a bit ragged round the edges, but it could have been too much sun on him? The first picture wasn’t so clear.
Thank you again
Tracy and Trevor

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I will start changing his water more often. It is very clear and I do test it as well.
T&T
You are so very welcome :)

As long as you are seeing no ammonia or nitrites we can dismiss that as a problem. Your little guy is like so many others I've seen photos of here on the forum. I am always amazed at how much their colors can change over time. So much so it doesn't even look like the same fish. Of course it may just be the lighting that appears to change the colors. In real life they may not have changed so drastically.

One thing I always recommend. If I see anything off the first thing I reach for is my water changing equipment. :) Most of the time that is all that needs to be done.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
oliviawilliam2017
Replies
Views
aryekyoko
Replies