15 Gallon too warm for my liking...

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So my 15 gallon has a dwarf gourami, glowlight tetras, and killifish (gardneri). I like to keep the tank around 78 degrees. Lately, we've been having a warm spell and their tank will not cool off. Presently, it is 82 F. I understand that my fish can probably take this heat, although it is not comfortable and I do want to keep them as happy as possible. I'm sure there are also warmer days ahead and I would like to be prepared.

So far I've unplugged the heater (been monitoring regularly, but no significant drop) and I've kept the lights off until later in the evening (but it's planted so I don't want to do a total black out).

I know available O2 in warm tanks decreases, but I do feel that my filtration does a significant job ensuring proper circulation and oxygenation.

I've heard of placing a small fan near the surface of the water. Have any of you done this? I've also heard of others placing frozen water bottles in their tank, although I'm worried that this would only cause my temperature to jump around...

2. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I know a bunch of people that use fans. You could also open the lid, or even keep it open. Just don't know if your tetras or killis would jump.

3. WolfaraRose Member Member

I feel ya on the heat wave. I live in Montana so when it hits it can be rough. I keep my tanks on a night schedule with an airstone in their tank so it keeps it cooler. Haven't had too much of an issue doing this, I think you may want to add an airstone.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Good suggestions, thanks all. I'll definitely be shopping for a fan tomorrow at my LFS. I found a nice one on Amazon for my setup, but the delivery date said it wouldn't get her until mid August...

5. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

if you are crafty there are a few DIY aquarium fan videos out there. Mainly stuff you build into your light fixtures. Look pretty cheap and easy.

6. garikapc Member Member

I lived at the top of an A Frame house in Upstate NY for a year and my 10 gallon would cook! I did the water bottle trick and it seemed to help but it was a pain constantly having to swap out bottles. 15 gallons is not too huge. Could you move to a cooler spot for the summer? Like a basement?

7. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

I would agree with @garlikpac said, or another suggestion is you could install an air conditioner near by if you can.

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If you have an hob filter, try removing the cover. Fans also work, but honestlyiI live in an attic apartment with no ac. It's 86 degrees in my tanks all summer and the fish are fine, even the wild bettas that need cooler temps. I would plug the hearers back in just in case.

Keep in mind that any cooling option aside from an actual cooling unit will cause water to evaporate more quickly. I can tell you from experience, frozen water bottles do almost nothing except cause unstable temperatures, so I would also not add them
    There's also the risk of contamination if you have more than one tank... But possibly you don't have mts as bad as I do lol.

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I really considered that. It will probably have to become a reality if a fan doesn't work...

10. fishnewbie33 Well Known Member Member

I took the tank cover off, covered it with a screen and used a clip on fan, directed at the water...this cooled the tank by about 7 degrees. You can adjust the fan distance & speed to cool off the tank more or less as necessary. I've seen them on Amazon, Bed, Bath and Beyond, even dollar stores.

You could also add a floor fan, pointed at the tank for additional cooling.

What kind of lighting do you have? LEDs don't produce heat like the other lights. I use the Marineland Hidden LED Lighting System, and just put it across the screen. I have lower light plants (anubias, moss balls, water sprite, banana plants) that grow well with this light.

If you have the hood off, you will have to monitor for evaporation. I pretreat water and leave it close to the tank so the temps are matched.

11. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

good call with the different lights giving off different heat.

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Why not run AC in the room?

13. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I run an LED full time actually. It actually maintains enough PAR to allow HC to stay nice and green 20 inches below the surface. Still gives off a boat load of heat. Some LEDs were never designed for plant life, however, this one definitely was.

I run the ac. :) but I'm also not going to kill my electric bill when I could build a $10 fan.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Phishphin, you can buy clip on fans at your local Walmart for under $10, Big Lots carries them as well. Wallmart has all the fancy colors. :)

[​IMG]

Here's what the top of my goldfish tank looks like.

15. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Shockingly, I checked out both Walmart and Target today and the selection was bleak. No clip ons! Actually, there was one opened box. When I checked the contents, the clip on part was gone. I took it as a sign from the water gods and went home and dropped a frozen water bottle in the tank. Down to 79 now.