15 Gallon Tank For Reptiles 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by Ziggythecat, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Ziggythecat

Ziggythecat Valued Member Member

What are some small easy to care for reptiles or amphibians that I can keep in a 15 gallon tank? It is 24x12x12 long. It was used for my fish, but they are in the 60 gallon now. My mother is also not to keen about live food unless it can’t escape so...

Just want to know, I need to switch things up a bit. I feel like it’s a waste of tank to not have anything in it. No bugs, that’s my only condition. And the 15 would be permanent for the animal.

Maybe African dwarf frogs? Or a gecko?

My hand for comparison. It’s hard to imagine the size of something without seeing it in my opinion.

View attachment 429404

I hope you can see the picture

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

We cannot I'm afraid

3. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

I’m sorry it haven’t been working for me.

4. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Don't be! Try taking a different picture and uploading it ;)

5. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

6. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Maybe a pacman frog? They would love that! They eat frozen thawed pinkie mice and crickets.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Flip it on its side, a crested gecko will do well.
    Leopard gecko is also ok in 15g.
    Pacman frog, tomato frog etc. Lots of frog types.
    Long tailed lizards and other small lizards that don't really do anything, if you want a display-only pet.

Not good for beardies, gargoyles, leechies, turtles etc.

8. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

Does anyone know where I might find a door I could put on it, like the ones that open without taking off the top, idk the name of it. But just the cover part of it?

9. Kolby Holdren

Kolby Holdren Valued Member Member

My suggestion would be a leopard gecko. They're super easy to care for. Can feed a varriety of foods. You can make cleaning super easy as well. 15 gallon should be able to house one it's entire life as well.
    Here's a pic of mine in a 10g. She'll soon have a new home in a 20g I have just sitting around. 20180321_204346.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

My only question is do either crested gecko or leopard gecko need a heat lamp? I know some do to help them digest food

11. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Leos need a heat mat, cresties need a heat lamp. I'd recommend green anoles. You usually can't handle them (Mine are an exception, as mine were hand-tamed when they were very young, and are captive bred), but they are so much fun. There is always something going on! Are you looking for a snake? Lizard? Amphibian? What price range (total) are we looking at? These questions will limit the possibilities.

12. x

xloe Valued Member Member

Hey that looks pretty cool! Now I can't help but look up what they eat and what you can grow/decorate in a reptile tank. Hopefully I find a good reason to not buy one :)

13. Kolby Holdren

Leopard truly only need a heat mat. I have both because the abient temp in the room is pretty cold so both keep the tank at desired temps. Credted def need a lamp

There is no reason not too.. anoles are boring for me. I have known some that were "ok" with being handled but even those can run and never catch them. Mine weren't able to be handled and we're very boring to watch except for the few times you'd luckily catch them hunting. I just got some green tree frogs and in a few days way more entertaining to watch

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  14. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Man, finding a small reptile that doesn't require at least some feeder insects might be tricky. I think even most geckos need a meal worm or cricket now and then. Would frozen pinky mice in your freezer freak your mom out more or less you think?

15. Kolby Holdren

As long as it's just crickets she's against. If she's also against worms then ya. He screwed

16. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Meal worms are pretty unobtrusive, but have to be kept cold to keep them from quickly turning into beetles. Which means in the fridge. Even harmless bugs in the fridge might be upsetting for some people.

17. Kolby Holdren

A have a storage room in my basement that stays in the low 50s and it's perfect

18. lilabug4545

I've found that they're only 'boring' when sick or injured. Tbh gtfks are super cute...

19. Kolby Holdren

Yeah. True. My larger Bahama actually bit off I one of my smaller anoles foot. Crazy. So also gotta pay attention to small quarals they may have

20. lilabug4545

I've found that the only way to keep them from fighting is either in m/f pairs, or m/f/f trios.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice