15 Gallon Tank For Reptiles

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What are some small easy to care for reptiles or amphibians that I can keep in a 15 gallon tank? It is 24x12x12 long. It was used for my fish, but they are in the 60 gallon now. My mother is also not to keen about live food unless it can’t escape so...

Just want to know, I need to switch things up a bit. I feel like it’s a waste of tank to not have anything in it. No bugs, that’s my only condition. And the 15 would be permanent for the animal.

Maybe African dwarf frogs? Or a gecko?

My hand for comparison. It’s hard to imagine the size of something without seeing it in my opinion.

I hope you can see the picture

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We cannot I'm afraid

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m sorry it haven’t been working for me.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't be! Try taking a different picture and uploading it

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IMG_6891.jpg

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Maybe a pacman frog? They would love that! They eat frozen thawed pinkie mice and crickets.

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Flip it on its side, a crested gecko will do well.
Leopard gecko is also ok in 15 gallon.
Pacman frog, tomato frog etc. Lots of frog types.
Long tailed lizards and other small lizards that don't really do anything, if you want a display-only pet.

Not good for beardies, gargoyles, leechies, turtles etc.

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Does anyone know where I might find a door I could put on it, like the ones that open without taking off the top, idk the name of it. But just the cover part of it?

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My suggestion would be a leopard gecko. They're super easy to care for. Can feed a varriety of foods. You can make cleaning super easy as well. 15 gallon should be able to house one it's entire life as well.
Here's a pic of mine in a 10 gallon. She'll soon have a new home in a 20 gallon I have just sitting around.
20180321_204346.jpg

Ziggythecat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My only question is do either crested gecko or leopard gecko need a heat lamp? I know some do to help them digest food

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Leos need a heat mat, cresties need a heat lamp. I'd recommend green anoles. You usually can't handle them (Mine are an exception, as mine were hand-tamed when they were very young, and are captive bred), but they are so much fun. There is always something going on! Are you looking for a snake? Lizard? Amphibian? What price range (total) are we looking at? These questions will limit the possibilities.

xloe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kolby Holdren said:
My suggestion would be a leopard gecko. They're super easy to care for. Can feed a varriety of foods. You can make cleaning super easy as well. 15 gallon should be able to house one it's entire life as well.
Here's a pic of mine in a 10 gallon. She'll soon have a new home in a 20 gallon I have just sitting around.
20180321_204346.jpg
Hey that looks pretty cool! Now I can't help but look up what they eat and what you can grow/decorate in a reptile tank. Hopefully I find a good reason to not buy one

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ziggythecat said:
My only question is do either crested gecko or leopard gecko need a heat lamp? I know some do to help them digest food
Leopard truly only need a heat mat. I have both because the abient temp in the room is pretty cold so both keep the tank at desired temps. Credted def need a lamp

xloe said:
Hey that looks pretty cool! Now I can't help but look up what they eat and what you can grow/decorate in a reptile tank. Hopefully I find a good reason to not buy one
There is no reason not too.. anoles are boring for me. I have known some that were "ok" with being handled but even those can run and never catch them. Mine weren't able to be handled and we're very boring to watch except for the few times you'd luckily catch them hunting. I just got some green tree frogs and in a few days way more entertaining to watch

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Man, finding a small reptile that doesn't require at least some feeder insects might be tricky. I think even most geckos need a meal worm or cricket now and then. Would frozen pinky mice in your freezer freak your mom out more or less you think?

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Briggs said:
Man, finding a small reptile that doesn't require at least some feeder insects might be tricky. I think even most geckos need a meal worm or cricket now and then. Would frozen pinky mice in your freezer freak your mom out more or less you think?
As long as it's just crickets she's against. If she's also against worms then ya. He screwed

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kolby Holdren said:
As long as it's just crickets she's against. If she's also against worms then ya. He screwed
Meal worms are pretty unobtrusive, but have to be kept cold to keep them from quickly turning into beetles. Which means in the fridge. Even harmless bugs in the fridge might be upsetting for some people.

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Briggs said:
Meal worms are pretty unobtrusive, but have to be kept cold to keep them from quickly turning into beetles. Which means in the fridge. Even harmless bugs in the fridge might be upsetting for some people.
A have a storage room in my basement that stays in the low 50s and it's perfect

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kolby Holdren said:
There is no reason not too.. anoles are boring for me. I have known some that were "ok" with being handled but even those can run and never catch them. Mine weren't able to be handled and we're very boring to watch except for the few times you'd luckily catch them hunting. I just got some green tree frogs and in a few days way more entertaining to watch
I've found that they're only 'boring' when sick or injured. Tbh gtfks are super cute...

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lilabug4545 said:
I've found that they're only 'boring' when sick or injured. Tbh gtfks are super cute...
Yeah. True. My larger Bahama actually bit off I one of my smaller anoles foot. Crazy. So also gotta pay attention to small quarals they may have

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kolby Holdren said:
Yeah. True. My larger Bahama actually bit off I one of my smaller anoles foot. Crazy. So also gotta pay attention to small quarals they may have
I've found that the only way to keep them from fighting is either in m/f pairs, or m/f/f trios.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom