15 Gallon Stocking

1. Jameseyy

Jameseyy Valued Member Member

I have a 24 inch long and 12 inch wide tank, with an 15 inch depth. Currently containing:

3 Peppered Corydoras
    1 Bristlenose Plec

They're all relatively young, the plec still being just about 2 inches long.

I was recently planning on getting a school of 6 Tiger Barbs but with these tank mates and a small tank it may not be the best idea...

I liked the Tiger Barbs for their variation, colour, tenacity and activeness. I will certainly get Tiger Barbs in a larger, species only tank at one point.

For the meantime, what would be a good tank mate for my current occupants? I'm not a fan of live bearers and would prefer a peaceful species of Barb if possible. All I want is a medium-small active shoalling species to bring my bottom-dwelling tank to life!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, I'd save the TBs for a future tank.

I'd increase the number of peppered cories to at least 6 (but 8 would be better). Cories are schooling fish and should be in groups of their own species. Unfortunately, you're a bit limited on stocking with them, as they should be in temps 72 F or lower, which limits their potential tankmates.

I'd rehome the BN pleco. He'll grow too large and have too large of a bioload for a tank of this size.

What about something like this?

8x Peppered cories
    6x Otos
    15x Celestial pearl danios

3. vin

vin Well Known Member Member

So based on the dimensions you've provided it's actually a 19G. I have a similar size tank. First, with regard to your current stock, the corys really should be in groups of 6 to be happy. The peppered corys will get to be between 2.5"-3" when full grown. The pleco will get to between 4"-5" and create a lot of waste. Ideally he should be in something 30G or larger. Adding 6 tiger barbs to your current stock would be too much.

I would suggest 3 more corys and maybe a Dwarf Gourami of some sort. A Honey Dwarf or maybe a Flame Dwarf? Adding multiple shoals or schools to a tank that size is difficult because most species need 6 or more to be happy and thrive. The only other schooling fish that might work would be some sort of small Tetra like Neons, Cardinals or Green Neons.

In my tank I have 6 peppered corys, 2 Flame Gourami and 2 Powder blue Gourami with 2 Nerita Snails.

4. TexasDomer

@vin, you have some stocking issues in your tank if you'd like to address it via PM or on another thread. I wouldn't recommend multiple male dwarf gouramis in a tank, as they will kill each other.

5. OP
    OP
    Jameseyy

Right so I can easily sort out a rehoming for the BN and am happy to go for another 3 Corydoras, but I'm not keen on getting multiple Gourami, although a male and female powder blue would be fine.

Are Neons and Green Neons compatible with the Gouramis? And are Black neons the same as Green Neons?

I've heard that differently coloured Neons school together, how accurate is that?

Are there any solitary algae eaters that would fit in my tank? I have a plentiful supply of diatoms at the moment but the corydoras don't seem interested in it.

6. OP
    OP
    Jameseyy

What are people's experience with Rabbit snails? I saw a couple of yellow ones and they looked really cool. I was wondering if they could fit into this set up somehow?

7. vin

vin Well Known Member Member

Thanks, but this tank has been established for some time now. All have been doing quite well.

8. TexasDomer

Black neons, green neons, and neons are different species. Different species will not properly school together, though different color morphs of the same species (black and white skirt tetra, for example) will school together.

In a tank this size, I'd go with the neons or green neons. They are all compatible with a dwarf gourami, though I wouldn't add a dwarf gourami. They are not temperature compatible with the peppered cories.

Cories are not algae eaters. They are mostly carnivorous and should be fed as such. You don't need an algae eater - you are the best at removing and controlling algae. Diatoms are common in new tanks, and will go away eventually. If you must add something to eat it, add a nerite snail or two.

A rabbit snail or two should be fine!

For now. I wouldn't expect it to continue forever. Best of luck though!