15 gallon Stocking Ideas

  • Thread starter

Duinemerwen

New Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Hi again,

I'm thinking of stocking ideas for a new 15 gallon. The tank is currently cycling but it will be moderately planted when I am done. So far the frontrunner is:
  • 3 honey gouramis (1 male, 2 female - I'd be willing to have only 1 male, but I don't want him to feel lonely)
  • 8+ glowlight tetras
  • Lots of cherry shrimp (unless the gouramis eat them, in which case there will be no shrimp)
I don't think cory cats are optimal for this tank because they will not be as happy with the Flourite Black substrate as with proper sand.

The second idea for stocking was:
Any thoughts on either stocking? My priorities are to make sure none of the fish feel lonely or stressed out.
 

pongoandfriends22

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
17
Points
18
  • In my opinion, I think that you could get a pretty nice Betta sorority in the tank. You could get about 5 female Bettas and they will have about 3 gallons per Betta in that tank.
  • You could have another stocking idea as 1 Male Betta of choice, a couple shrimp of choice(I suggest cherry shrimp), and maybe some neon tetras as those make a good looking tank and a happy environment.
With all of this being said, make sure that you test in the store if the Bettas you get are aggressive. If you go with the sorority make sure the Bettas are around the same size.
 

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
4,096
Points
448
pongoandfriends22 said:
  • In my opinion, I think that you could get a pretty nice Betta sorority in the tank. You could get about 5 female Bettas and they will have about 3 gallons per Betta in that tank.
  • You could have another stocking idea as 1 Male Betta of choice, a couple shrimp of choice(I suggest cherry shrimp), and maybe some neon tetras as those make a good looking tank and a happy environment.
With all of this being said, make sure that you test in the store if the Bettas you get are aggressive. If you go with the sorority make sure the Bettas are around the same size.
A 15 is too small for a sorority, imo. Things can go wrong when doing a sorority in small tanks. A 29 or 30 is the minimum tank size to start a sorority.
 

pongoandfriends22

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
17
Points
18
Crispii said:
A 15 is too small for a sorority, imo. Things can go wrong when doing a sorority in small tanks. A 29 or 30 is the minimum tank size to start a sorority.
True, I usually have bigger tanks for sororities too! I just don’t know how much experience this guy has. It would be a lot of work, but it might work. I usually would go with a Betta community tank as I love Bettas but that is my own taste!
 

moiz4got

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
7
Points
13
Experience
2 years
If you like, you can even try
Clown loaches, may be like 4 of 1.5"-2"

they are extemely clumsy and a real fun to watch.
 

omaxem

New Member
Messages
17
Reaction score
29
Points
3
Experience
More than 10 years
moiz4got said:
If you like, you can even try
Clown loaches, may be like 4 of 1.5"-2"

they are extemely clumsy and a real fun to watch.
NO.

ZERO CLOWN LOACHES IN a 15 gallon, PLEASE.

Clown loaches grow into 10+ inch fish, can live for 20+ years with PROPER care and there need to be at least 6 of them in a tank. They are NOT appropriate for a 15 gallon.

Sorry for coming in so hot, but i'm a loach guy and imo Clowns are for huge ( huge, like public huge ) aquariums. 100G at a minimum for a group of 6.

I'm setting up a 15 gallon myself in the coming week and i'm going with a school of Ember or Lemon Tetras, 1 Betta male or 1 Honey Gourami, and 5 or 6 Corys, depending on the breed i can find. If you take the Corys out of the equation, you can either add a couple more tetras or another tetra school alltogether.

And again, sorry for the allcaps.
 

moiz4got

New Member
Messages
27
Reaction score
7
Points
13
Experience
2 years
omaxem said:
NO.

ZERO CLOWN LOACHES IN a 15 gallon, PLEASE.

Clown loaches grow into 10+ inch fish, can live for 20+ years with PROPER care and there need to be at least 6 of them in a tank. They are NOT appropriate for a 15 gallon.

Sorry for coming in so hot, but i'm a loach guy and imo Clowns are for huge ( huge, like public huge ) aquariums. 100G at a minimum for a group of 6.

I'm setting up a 15 gallon myself in the coming week and i'm going with a school of Ember or Lemon Tetras, 1 Betta male or 1 Honey Gourami, and 5 or 6 Corys, depending on the breed i can find. If you take the Corys out of the equation, you can either add a couple more tetras or another tetra school alltogether.

And again, sorry for the allcaps.
Yeah it's a good advice.. I am also kind of a LOACH lover and I mainly have all monster fishes in my tank. I have managed to keep some loaches in my 20 gallon tank thus I gave an advice. Sorry if I was wrong.

And no worries on the caps as I am sure you love the fishes thus there is an excitemkent and eagerness in your comment. Keep it up..
 

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Messages
1,040
Reaction score
163
Points
98
Experience
5 years
moiz4got said:
If you like, you can even try
Clown loaches, may be like 4 of 1.5"-2"

they are extemely clumsy and a real fun to watch.
Clown loaches get way bigger than that... closer to 12". They require at least 75 gallons.
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom